SATA on IS7-V2

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Howard Nelson, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100 IDE
    HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a 250gb
    SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just bought
    a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
    won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
    updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both IDE
    controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.

    According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2 IDE
    drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
    channels.

    The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on boot
    but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
    configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just the
    400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj. Rather
    than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as a
    SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.

    I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Howard

    1. Advertising

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Have you tried forcing the WD to run at 150MB/s?
    <http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=Gk7tikJi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDUsNDUmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDMmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0xLjIwMyZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWp1bXBlciBzZXR0aW5ncw**&p_li=&p_topview=1>

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:06:01 -0700, "Howard Nelson"
    <> wrote:

    >Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100 IDE
    >HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a 250gb
    >SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just bought
    >a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
    >won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
    >updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both IDE
    >controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.
    >
    >According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2 IDE
    >drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
    >channels.
    >
    >The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on boot
    >but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
    >configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just the
    >400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj. Rather
    >than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as a
    >SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.
    >
    >I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Howard

    1. Advertising

  3. How do I do that. It came as a "bare" drive from Newegg. Was advertised as a
    150MB/sec drive. I imagine that is why it was heavily discounted. Both SATA
    drives on my system are speced at 150MB/sec. Is there something in the Bios
    I can set to force this?

    Howard

  4. "Howard Nelson" <> wrote in message
    > Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100

    IDE
    > HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a

    250gb
    > SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just

    bought
    > a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
    > won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
    > updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both

    IDE
    > controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.
    >
    > According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2

    IDE
    > drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
    > channels.
    >
    > The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on

    boot
    > but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
    > configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just

    the
    > 400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj.

    Rather
    > than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as

    > SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.
    >
    > I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Howard

    Additional info

    This is a SATA 150 drive WD4000KD but when I jump the "force 150" jumper it
    makes no difference. Controller handles other Seagate 250 gb SATA drive OK.
    On board controller just won't identify this drive even if the Seagate drive
    is removed from system.
    On post the BIOS recognizes a 500gb SATA drive as BzBzBzBzBz..........Bz
    etc. All other drives recognized for what they are. Any ideas out there? Bad
    drive?

    Howard