SATA Raid problems - update

Discussion in 'Asus' started by John Carter, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. John Carter

    John Carter Guest

    I have an M2N-E with the following disk config:

    SATA1 WD 250
    SATA2 WD 250
    SATA3 WD 500
    SATA4 WD 500
    SATA5 WD Raptor 74
    SATA6 HP DV writer

    SATA 1 and 2 are RAID 1 array
    SATA 3 and 4 are RAID 1 array

    Nforce 570 chipset using the Nvidia RAID Controller

    After suggestions of swapping cables, disks, etc., the
    verdict is that SATA4 port is malfunctioning.
    Why it alone and not both SATA3 and SATA4 are failing, I
    don't have a clue since the're both on the same RAID
    controller. I'll leave that up to the hardware gurus to
    ponder.

    For whatever reasons the mobo is acting up, immediate need is the
    RAID 1 capability and I don't have the
    time now to change out mobo for something else. So I believe
    my most viable current option is to purchase a RAID card and connect
    just the two 500 GB drives into a RAID 1 array.

    I have PCI slots, PCI-E 1X and PCI-E 4X slots available.

    My questions are:

    Can I add the card as I believe I can? IE are these add-on cards
    designed to co-exist with RAID mobo controllers, or are they designed
    to add RAID/SATA capability to systems without the mobo capability?

    What terminology do I look for if I want to use the PCI-E 4X slot?

    Is there a desireable chipset I should look for on these cards?

    Thanks for all the assistance, I really appreciate the help.

    John Carter, Jan 29, 2010