SATA won't boot in current computer.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Terry, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.

    I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
    mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.

    I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
    give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
    the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
    would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
    computer would boot normally with the card installed.

    I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
    dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
    the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
    drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
    showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
    would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
    the drive.

    I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
    then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
    this twice.

    I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
    formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
    in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
    the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
    they get corrupted again.

    Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
    my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
    Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
    doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.

    The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.

    Thank you for your time
    Terry, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Terry

    Paul Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.
    >
    > I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
    > mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.
    >
    > I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
    > give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
    > the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
    > would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
    > computer would boot normally with the card installed.
    >
    > I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
    > dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
    > the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
    > drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
    > showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
    > would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
    > the drive.
    >
    > I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
    > then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
    > this twice.
    >
    > I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
    > formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
    > in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
    > the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
    > they get corrupted again.
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
    > my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
    > Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
    > doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.
    >
    > The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.
    >
    > Thank you for your time

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04/12/datacorruption_bug_hits_via_chipsets/
    http://groups.google.ca/groups/search?q=686b corruption

    The symptoms might not be an exact match, but maybe you can do a bit of
    research into the background of this.

    The hang at boot could be due to another reason.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Sep 3, 9:35 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    > > Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.

    > > I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
    > > mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.

    > > I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
    > > give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
    > > the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
    > > would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
    > > computer would boot normally with the card installed.

    > > I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
    > > dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
    > > the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
    > > drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
    > > showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
    > > would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
    > > the drive.

    > > I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
    > > then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
    > > this twice.

    > > I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
    > > formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
    > > in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
    > > the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
    > > they get corrupted again.

    > > Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
    > > my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
    > > Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
    > > doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.

    > > The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.

    > > Thank you for your time

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/0...ups.google.ca/groups/search?q=686b corruption
    >
    > The symptoms might not be an exact match, but maybe you can do a bit of
    > research into the background of this.
    >
    > The hang at boot could be due to another reason.

    I think I am just going to have to buy another controller card. If it
    turns out to be a mobo problem, there is not much I will be able to do
    about it.

    Thanks
    Terry, Sep 4, 2007