    Am I doing the right thing? Or should I leave it on 9?

    Any help would be welcome.

    V.Gridley

    V.Gridley, Dec 16, 2003

  2. V.Gridley

    Lenny Guest

    What makes you think your soundcard has anything to do with Outlook Express?
    I just don't see the connection there.

    Anyway, PCI interrupt sharing is something quite normal and common. PCI
    devices are designed to handle sharing, and it's not really anything to
    worry about.

    Lenny, Dec 16, 2003

  3. "V.Gridley" <> wrote in message
    > I see in Device Manager that SB Live has been allocated IRQ9 which it

    shares
    > with 5 other devices. I notice that IRQ5 is vacant, which is the

    previous
    > allocation under Win98.

    IRQ sharing shouldn't matter at all with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

    Indeed they often seem to try and pile everything on to the same IRQs.

    --

    Brian Gregory (In the UK).

    Brian Gregory [UK], Dec 16, 2003
  4. V.Gridley

    Lenny Guest

    > IRQ sharing shouldn't matter at all with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    >
    > Indeed they often seem to try and pile everything on to the same IRQs.

    Win2k and XP use a hardware abstraction layer, a part of the operating
    system, that maps one "virtual" IRQ to a device that the driver use when it
    speaks to the HAL, and then the HAL might well use a totally different
    actual IRQ when it in turn accesses the hardware. So going by the
    information given in the device manager isn't always going to be totally
    accurate...

    Lenny, Dec 17, 2003
  5. V.Gridley

    V.Gridley Guest

    Thanks for that comment.
    I was clutching at straws. I have heard that sound cards can frequently
    cause problems, so was trying to eliminate any possibility from that
    source.
    I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
    just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
    determine the cause of the problem.

    V.Gridley

    V.Gridley, Dec 17, 2003
  6. V.Gridley

    Lenny Guest

    > I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
    > just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
    > determine the cause of the problem.

    I assume you're running a recently updated virus killer (NAV 2004 works fine
    for me) /scumware detector (such as AdAware)?

    Also, if the problem only exhibits itself with Outlook Express, I would
    suggest un/reinstalling it, or even switching to a different email client.
    There ARE other ones you know, and most are actually better than M$'s
    offering. ;)

    Lenny, Dec 17, 2003
  7. V.Gridley

    Folk Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:40:24 +0000 (UTC), "V.Gridley"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for that comment.
    >I was clutching at straws. I have heard that sound cards can frequently
    >cause problems, so was trying to eliminate any possibility from that
    >source.
    >I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
    >just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
    >determine the cause of the problem.
    >
    >V.Gridley

    OK, I'm scratching at old brain cells here, but I seem to recall that
    there was a bad security fix (810847) from MS that would cause OE to
    puke, although I don't recall that it caused a reboot. If you have
    810847 installed you could try removing it and seeing if it fixes the
    problem. I'm pretty sure it was permanently fixed in SP4.

    Folk, Dec 17, 2003
  8. V.Gridley

    V.Gridley Guest

    It appears to be negligence on my part.

    I had failed to reinstall my virus checker when setting up the new system,
    and when finally installed it reported "Win32. Nachi. A worm'
    The virus has now been removed and my Windows 2000 system seems to be rock
    steady.

    Thanks for your comments anyway.

    V.Gridley

    V.Gridley, Dec 19, 2003