    switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

    Any suggestions as to why?

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
    Huge, Jun 23, 2008

  2. Huge

    haydude Guest

    On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <> wrote:
    > My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    > fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    > switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

    I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
    to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
    as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
    it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
    of my disks.

    The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
    wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
    such a power off, it never fails.

    Hope this helps.
    haydude, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Huge

    Huge Guest

    On 2008-06-23, haydude <> wrote:
    > On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <> wrote:
    >> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    >> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    >> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

    > I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
    > to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
    > as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
    > it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
    > of my disks.
    >
    > The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
    > wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
    > such a power off, it never fails.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    It does, thanks. Perhaps I should start looking for a replacement power supply?

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
    Huge, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Huge

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-06-23, Huge <> wrote:
    > On 2008-06-23, haydude <> wrote:
    >> On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <> wrote:
    >>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    >>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    >>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

    >> I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
    >> to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
    >> as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
    >> it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
    >> of my disks.
    >>
    >> The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
    >> wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
    >> such a power off, it never fails.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.

    > It does, thanks. Perhaps I should start looking for a replacement power supply?

    Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact
    enhancer such as DeOxit (I would suggest the predecessor Cramolin, but
    that was shut down by the ozone layer problem), and work the connectors
    on and off a few cycles. Note that there is the large connector which
    carries the power to the system, and the smaller one which carries sense
    signals back to the power supply. For that matter -- give the power
    cord connector a similar treatment, in case it is oxidizing. (You
    might try simply replacing the power cord while you are at it.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Jun 24, 2008
  5. Huge

    Paul Gress Guest

    haydude wrote:
    > On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <> wrote:
    >> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    >> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    >> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

    > I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
    > to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
    > as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
    > it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
    > of my disks.
    >
    > The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
    > wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
    > such a power off, it never fails.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    OK, this happens with my Blade 2500. After trying as you did to try to
    start it, I have since learned to press the button ever so slowly and as
    soon as it starts powering up, let go of the button without pressing it
    fully. For me, my guess is its hardware, or the switch in particular.

    Paul
    Paul Gress, Jun 24, 2008
  6. Huge

    Huge Guest

    On 2008-06-24, Trinean <> wrote:
    > "Huge" <> wrote in message
    >> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    >> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    >> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to why?

    > If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
    > connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
    > shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
    >
    > Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
    > and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
    > still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
    > works any better.
    >
    > The SB2000 should have come with a green torque tool.

    I didn't even realise that SB2000s had torqued down CPUs. They look like plugin
    modules to me, like the ones in an U60. But I haven't looked lately.

    And no, it didn't come with a torque tool.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
    Huge, Jun 26, 2008
  7. Huge

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-06-26, Huge <> wrote:
    > On 2008-06-24, Trinean <> wrote:
    >> "Huge" <> wrote in message
    >>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
    >>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
    >>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions as to why?

    >> If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
    >> connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
    >> shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
    >>
    >> Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
    >> and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
    >> still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
    >> works any better.
    >>
    >> The SB2000 should have come with a green torque tool.

    > I didn't even realise that SB2000s had torqued down CPUs. They look like plugin
    > modules to me, like the ones in an U60. But I haven't looked lately.
    >
    > And no, it didn't come with a torque tool.

    Hmm ... there are two formats of torque tool.

    The older one which came in the SB-1000 mostly is a loop of 1/8"
    diameter spring steel wire bent so when the proper torque is reached,
    the ends of the loop touch. It is normally mounted in a bright green
    plastic holder (the same color as the rings on the screws which mount
    the CPU modules) which is slid between the two disk drive slots.

    The newer kind is the same bright green, but looks like a stubby
    screwdriver, and mounts in a plastic holder elsewhere in the system. I
    can't tell you for sure, because I don't have an SB-2000, but I think
    that it is near the drives at the junction of two pieces of sheet metal.

    I have (in addition to two SB-1000s) a Sun Fire 280R (same
    system board and CPU modules as the SB-1000 or SB-2000 with 900 MHz
    US-III Cu CPUs) and the torque limiting screwdriver is in a different
    location -- immediately visible once you open the cover -- which does
    *not* switch off power unlike the SB-[12]000.

    In any case, the driver releases with a click when it reaches
    the right torque. IIRC, that is 5 In-Lbs, but I would have to dig out
    the right manual to verify that. The bit of the screwdriver is a square
    (Robertson) bit -- one of three common sizes. And yes, the torque is
    critical -- too little and the connectors don't make reliable connection.
    Too much, and you may damage the connectors on the board or the CPU
    module.

    From the Sun manual (806-4804-14.pdf, page 11) for the SF-280R
    (same system board and CPUs as some versions of the SB-1000 and
    SB-2000):

    Your Sun Fire 280R Server Service Manual states that a torque
    screwdriver is housed in the chassis between the disk drive bay
    and the DVD-ROM drive bay. However, the torque screwdriver is
    no longer included with the system. Instead, the torque
    screwdriver is included with the optional CPU module.

    Caution -- You must use the torque screwdriver to tighten the
    captive screws on the CPU module the correct amount. If you
    overtighten the captive screws, you can severely damage the main
    logic board. If you undertighten the captive screws, you might
    cause a loss of continuity and the system might not start.

    Note -- You can also use an adjustable torque screwdriver set to 5
    in-lbs.

    The newest systems apparently did not come with the torque tool,
    but (new) replacement or additional CPU modules were shipped with the
    torque tool. If you have an adjustable torque-limiting screwdriver, you
    can set it according to the values in the manual and get a Robertson bit
    to put in to allow it to be used. Utica makes a very nice one, and the
    model you want is the TS-100, but be sitting down when you read the
    price. :) There are three found on a quick eBay search, with current
    bids ranging from $25.00 to $99.00, plus eBay store running from $99.00
    to $219.00.

    Note that the torque in the Sun manual is specified in
    inch-pounds, but the TS-100 (Black Anodized) is calibrated in
    inch-ounces, so you will need to multiply that 5 inch-pounds by 16 to
    convert it to 80 inch-ounces.

    Also -- note that the TS-30 (red anodized) is calibrated in
    inch-pounds, but starts at 6. (However, it really works down at 5 well
    enough for your purposes, if that is what you have.

    I don't know whether the TS-35 is calibrated in Oz-In or in
    In-Lbs, since I don't have one to examine.

    Note that an eBay search for "Sun torque (wrench,screwdriver) is
    bound to lead to frustration, because there is a brand of automotive
    tools known as "Sun". That is what you get from a search. :-(

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Jun 28, 2008
  8. Huge

    haydude Guest

    On 24 Jun, 02:56, "DoN. Nichols" <> wrote:
    >         Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact

    Do you think that I did not try that?! That is not the problem!
    haydude, Jul 1, 2008
  9. Huge

    haydude Guest

    On 24 Jun, 19:48, "Trinean" <> wrote:
    > If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
    > connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
    > shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
    >
    > Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
    > and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
    > still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
    > works any better.

    Tried that too, serveral times, setting the OPB in long test mode too.
    No messages before it shuts down.
    Swapping, or even replacing the CPUs does not make any difference.
    The two things I couldn't tru were:
    - replace motherboard
    - replace power supply

    I tired everything else.
    haydude, Jul 1, 2008
  10. Huge

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-07-01, haydude <> wrote:
    > On 24 Jun, 02:56, "DoN. Nichols" <> wrote:
    >>         Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact

    > Do you think that I did not try that?! That is not the problem!

    You didn't *say* that you had tried that, so I suggested it just
    in case you had not. I've found that it is better to assume that
    anything unstated may not have been done -- no matter how logical it
    might be.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Jul 2, 2008