    Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X

    Any other recommendations would be GREAT!

    Thanks!
    sjc, Feb 13, 2006

  2. sjc

    NewMan Guest

    My daughter was using the ATI 7500. It was OK with Sims2 University,
    but when Sims2 Nightlife came out, it hit the wall.

    The upgrade I got was an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB of RAM. This
    card can do 4X and 8X, so it was an ideal choice for an upgrade. The
    capper was that it was only $89 CDN$ at London Drugs in Canada. Here
    is a link for product info:

    http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-A8-N313-LX&family=13

    With a card that good and that cheap, it is just hard to beat. And
    nVidia to boot. Sorry to all the ATI users out there. I have been
    computing for decades. 99% of all problems I have had with video cards
    has been with ATI cards! They play the "OEM" game, and frequently do
    not support a card if it was not "built by ATI". What horse shit. This
    is the same thing that turned me off of US Robitics modems.

    The kicker for me was a few years back. We upgraded a number of
    Win98se machines to WinXP. These machines had ATI Rage IIC cards in
    them. The Win98se drivers made full use of the cards capabilities. But
    the onyl driver for WinXP was the Micro$haft one! And it only support
    ed 800 x 600! What collaosal BULLSHIT! We were forced to upgrade our
    cards because of non-existant support for WinXP at the hands of ATI.
    ANd I can assure you, not one ATI card did we purchase! All ATIs were
    replaced with nVidia. I get to spec new systems, and I wont have an
    ATI card, period.

    Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary. But I highly
    recommend the nVidia cards.

    BTW, our SG51 has the 200W supply as well. No problem running the
    FX5500 card with 256MB of memory at all. It is fast, and cool.

    hth

    NewMan, Feb 14, 2006

  3. sjc

    sjc Guest

    Thanks for the info! I checked out the card at Newegg....and it is
    only $39.00 (US) after a $15 mail in rebate! Wow....that sounds like
    a deal. The eVGA website says the FX5500 needs a 250 watt PS...which
    makes me a little nervous. I would think if I works in your, it will
    work in my little SB51.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130197

    Any other recommendations out there?

    sjc

    sjc, Feb 14, 2006
  4. sjc

    BigSky Guest

    Re: Good Video Card Upgrade

    I was able to run a Gforce 5600 Ultra (requires a power plug) but eventually
    started having weird video problems in more challenging games. I suspected
    that the power supply may be inadequate but tried a Radeon 9700 Pro anyway
    (also needs external power). This was a no go. So, I finally got the best
    video card that doesn't require external power...the Radeon 9600XT from
    eBay. Works like a champ with Battlefield 2, Middle Earth, etc...but then I
    don't have all the video eye candy turned to the highest settings either.
    Still gives my son fairly smooth screen play.

    Shuttle says they burned in a system configured with 1GB ram, 3GHz P4,
    Radeon 9800Pro, etc for 2 days. I think they are nuts on this 200W PS. If
    money was no object and I hadn't purchased the 9600XT yet, I'd buy the 250
    or 300 W PS and go for a 9800Pro or 9800XT.

    BigSky, Feb 14, 2006
  5. sjc

    NewMan Guest

    Well, one could always buy the 250W P/S! ;)

    For reference, I am using a Pentium 4 "Mobile" processor in my SB51G.
    The up-side: I get the increased throughput of the Northwood Core, the
    "downside": Since the FB51 mobo does not support "speed step"
    technology, I can't jump to 2.8 GHz, and am runnng at 1.6 GHz. The "Up
    side", the 1.6GHz Northwood is still faster than a 1.8 GHz Willamette!
    And at 1.6 GHz, it is less of a drain on the 200W Power supply! Hit
    that combo quite by accident, but it works, and works well. Stable and
    solid as a rock. If you are running at faster speeds near the upper
    limit of the motherboard like 2.8 or 3.0 GHz, then you may well need
    to beef up to the 250W P/S. Only one way to find out for sure! :)

    Keep up posted on what you do and how it goes.

    hth

    NewMan, Feb 17, 2006