    If I can not use this card in this machine, anyone have any suggestions for
    an upgrade on the Radeon that WILL work?

    Thanks in advance.

    PJL, Mar 8, 2006

  2. PJL

    NewMan Guest

    I use this exact card in my SB51G with no problems at all. I did
    upgrade to the latest BIOS before install just as a matter of
    principle. Have you checked to see if you have the latest BIOS?

    Also, what CPU / Speed are you running? the "stock" power supply in
    the SB51G is only 200W. If you are running a CPU that is at the
    top-end of this units capability and this card, then you may be
    overloading the P/S. (I think it was absolute nonsense to put a 200W
    P/S in these! 300W MIN!)

    I am running a P4 Northwood "mobile" s478 at 1.6 GHz. The FB51 does
    not support speed-step technology to make the jump to 2.8 GHz.

    NewMan, Mar 8, 2006

  3. PJL

    harvard75 Guest

    I have also seen mention of this card in this machine and wonder what
    the problem could be. While it might something to do with the BIOS,
    since the OP says he got nothing when he pushed the "on" switch, it
    doesn't seem that the BIOS could be involved--if the machine's dead
    with that new card in it, it's dead and not reading the BIOS. Really
    sounds like power supply issue to me. What do you think?

    harvard75, Mar 8, 2006
  4. PJL

    NewMan Guest

    Makes sense to me. I did have another machine that was a pain in the
    neck to install video cards into. When I changed the card, it did not
    seat properly, and it behaved much as described. But since the OP has
    no problems with other cards...

    The only thing I will add is that my eVGA FX5500 card is rated at "AGP
    4X AND 8X". The specs on the FB51 Motherboard show that 4X is the max.
    If the FX5500 you installed is only rated for "8X", then I could see
    that might be an issue as well.

    NewMan, Mar 9, 2006
  5. PJL

    Mark C. Guest

    "NewMan" <> wrote in message
    > Makes sense to me. I did have another machine that was a pain in the
    > neck to install video cards into. When I changed the card, it did not
    > seat properly, and it behaved much as described. But since the OP has
    > no problems with other cards...
    >
    > The only thing I will add is that my eVGA FX5500 card is rated at "AGP
    > 4X AND 8X". The specs on the FB51 Motherboard show that 4X is the max.
    > If the FX5500 you installed is only rated for "8X", then I could see
    > that might be an issue as well.
    >
    > On 8 Mar 2006 11:10:03 -0800, "harvard75" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have also seen mention of this card in this machine and wonder what
    >>the problem could be. While it might something to do with the BIOS,
    >>since the OP says he got nothing when he pushed the "on" switch, it
    >>doesn't seem that the BIOS could be involved--if the machine's dead
    >>with that new card in it, it's dead and not reading the BIOS. Really
    >>sounds like power supply issue to me. What do you think?

    Does the card require a direct connection to the power supply?

    --
    Mark

    Mark C., Jul 7, 2006