SB81P. First temperature measurements. Too high...?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Evert, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Hi everyone!

    Well, I just finished assembling my SB81P. I've done some temp.
    measuring overnight with Sandra, and get the following (idle system):

    Board:
    min. 32
    avg. 40.3
    max. 42

    CPU:
    min. 49
    avg. 52.2
    max. 55

    Power/aux:
    min. 37
    avg. 42.2
    max. 44

    The CPU temp. seems a bit high to me... Is there anyone out there who
    can give me their measurements? ;-)

    Regards,
    Evert Meulie
    Evert, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Evert

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Evert wrote:
    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > Well, I just finished assembling my SB81P. I've done some temp.
    > measuring overnight with Sandra, and get the following (idle system):
    >
    > Board:
    > min. 32
    > avg. 40.3
    > max. 42
    >
    > CPU:
    > min. 49
    > avg. 52.2
    > max. 55
    >
    > Power/aux:
    > min. 37
    > avg. 42.2
    > max. 44
    >
    > The CPU temp. seems a bit high to me... Is there anyone out there who
    > can give me their measurements? ;-)

    Forgot to mention: this system contains a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4.
    Evert Meulie, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Evert

    Jesper Guest

    "Evert Meulie" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Evert wrote:
    >> Hi everyone!
    >>
    >> Well, I just finished assembling my SB81P. I've done some temp.
    >> measuring overnight with Sandra, and get the following (idle system):
    >>
    >> Board:
    >> min. 32
    >> avg. 40.3
    >> max. 42
    >>
    >> CPU:
    >> min. 49
    >> avg. 52.2
    >> max. 55
    >>
    >> Power/aux:
    >> min. 37
    >> avg. 42.2
    >> max. 44
    >>
    >> The CPU temp. seems a bit high to me... Is there anyone out there who
    >> can give me their measurements? ;-)

    > Forgot to mention: this system contains a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4.

    Hi.
    Seems ok i guess.
    Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    probably know.
    At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    /JB
    Jesper, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Evert

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Jesper wrote:
    > "Evert Meulie" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >>Evert wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi everyone!
    >>>
    >>>Well, I just finished assembling my SB81P. I've done some temp.
    >>>measuring overnight with Sandra, and get the following (idle system):
    >>>
    >>>Board:
    >>>min. 32
    >>>avg. 40.3
    >>>max. 42
    >>>
    >>>CPU:
    >>>min. 49
    >>>avg. 52.2
    >>>max. 55
    >>>
    >>>Power/aux:
    >>>min. 37
    >>>avg. 42.2
    >>>max. 44
    >>>
    >>>The CPU temp. seems a bit high to me... Is there anyone out there who
    >>>can give me their measurements? ;-)

    >>Forgot to mention: this system contains a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4.

    > Hi.
    > Seems ok i guess.
    > Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    > probably know.
    > At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    > /JB

    I haven't changed anything there yet. I think the BIOS default is 51C...?

    Greetings,
    Evert
    Evert Meulie, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Evert

    Jesper Guest

    >> Hi.
    >> Seems ok i guess.
    >> Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    >> probably know.
    >> At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    >> /JB

    > I haven't changed anything there yet. I think the BIOS default is 51C...?
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Evert

    Have you downloaded the latest bios ?
    Im not sure but I think the default with the updated one i about 40C.

    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=SB81P

    /JB
    Jesper, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Evert

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Jesper wrote:
    >>>Hi.
    >>>Seems ok i guess.
    >>>Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    >>>probably know.
    >>>At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    >>>/JB

    >>I haven't changed anything there yet. I think the BIOS default is 51C...?
    >>
    >>Greetings,
    >> Evert

    > Have you downloaded the latest bios ?
    > Im not sure but I think the default with the updated one i about 40C.

    Yeah, I'm running the 25-version... But I guess the value of 51 didn't
    get updated when the BIOS was updated.
    So you are suggesting I should change 'CPU temp tag' from 51C to 40C?

    Regards,
    Evert
    Evert Meulie, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Evert

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Jesper wrote:
    >>>Hi.
    >>>Seems ok i guess.
    >>>Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    >>>probably know.
    >>>At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    >>>/JB

    >>I haven't changed anything there yet. I think the BIOS default is 51C...?
    >>
    >>Greetings,
    >> Evert

    > Have you downloaded the latest bios ?
    > Im not sure but I think the default with the updated one i about 40C.

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/shuttle_sb81p/15.shtml suggests
    setting it to 30C. Has anyone tried this? How's the noise with that setting?

    Greetings,
    Evert
    Evert Meulie, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Evert

    Jesper Guest

    >> Have you downloaded the latest bios ?
    >> Im not sure but I think the default with the updated one i about 40C.

    > Yeah, I'm running the 25-version... But I guess the value of 51 didn't get
    > updated when the BIOS was updated.
    > So you are suggesting I should change 'CPU temp tag' from 51C to 40C?
    >

    > Regards,
    > Evert

    I guess its all about what noise level you can accept.
    For me the noise limit goes with the 40C.
    30C is too noisy I think, but its very subjective.
    /JB
    Jesper, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Evert

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Jesper wrote:
    >>>Hi.
    >>>Seems ok i guess.
    >>>Haven't tested my system yet, but prescott are known for being hot as you
    >>>probably know.
    >>>At what level have you set your smart fans? Mine is set on 40 degrees.
    >>>/JB

    >>I haven't changed anything there yet. I think the BIOS default is 51C...?
    >>
    >>Greetings,
    >> Evert

    > Have you downloaded the latest bios ?
    > Im not sure but I think the default with the updated one i about 40C.
    >
    > http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=SB81P

    Shuttle Europe has confirmed that their current suggested/recommended
    value is (still) 51C. :cool:
    Evert Meulie, Dec 7, 2004