    detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.

    Any ideas?
    Adam, Jan 31, 2012

  2. Adam

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >
    >Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    What is the headet-to-PC interface?
    Analog audio? USB?
    Mike S., Jan 31, 2012

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Mike S." <> wrote in message

    > In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>
    >>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > What is the headet-to-PC interface?
    > Analog audio? USB?

    Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
    according to box).

    Connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port works fine with headset
    plugged in.
    My guess is that the USB port "closest" to the headset port may be shared?
    If so,
    this is not documented in the User Manual. But, I could be missing
    something.
    Adam, Jan 31, 2012
  4. Adam

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: scan apps fail to detect scanner device with headset pluggedin - please help

    Adam wrote:
    > Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    > System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >
    > Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    > detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    > As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers. And
    when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame! That is what open
    source is all about. There is nothing professional about it. So I don't
    know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Jan 31, 2012
  5. Adam

    BillW50 wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>
    >> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers. And
    > when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame! That is what open
    > source is all about. There is nothing professional about it. So I don't
    > know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

    I don't understand the problem? It's all open source which means you
    have the source code (or at least can get it). And there is obviously a
    bug. So take some responsibility for yourself man! Fix it and recompile.
    And if it is too hot in the kitchen, then what are you doing there?

    BillW50, Jan 31, 2012
  6. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Mike S." <> wrote in message

    > In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>
    >>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > What is the headet-to-PC interface?
    > Analog audio? USB?

    Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
    according to box).

    Correction ... connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port with headset
    plugged in does "not" work either (contrary to my 1:30 PM post, which has
    been canceled).
    Adam, Jan 31, 2012
  7. Adam

    Aragorn Guest

    On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:33, BillW50 conveyed the following to
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu...

    > Adam wrote:
    >> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>
    >> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

    For your information, GNU/Linux has already for long surpassed
    proprietary UNIX in professionalism, robustness and quality.

    A great number of hardware vendors is working with the Linux kernel
    development team directly and are releasing their driver code under the
    GPLv2. There is no other operating system on the planet that supports
    as many hardware architectures and as many hardware peripherals out of
    the box as GNU/Linux.

    In addition to that, 96% of the world's most powerful supercomputers are
    running GNU/Linux, and it also runs on IBM mainframes, on the bare
    metal. Do you seriously think that an amateurish OS with amateurish
    drivers would ever be selected for those purposes?

    > And when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame!

    When something goes wrong in proprietary operating systems, there's
    nobody to blame either. And if you won't believe that, then please read
    their EULAs more carefully next time.

    > That is what open source is all about. There is nothing professional
    > about it.

    You obviously have a very personal and totally skewed definition of the
    word "professional".

    > So I don't know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

    You score about 3 on the troll-o-meter, and about 7 on the flame bait
    meter. I guess that makes you an amateur.

    --
    = Aragorn =
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
    Aragorn, Jan 31, 2012
  8. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike S." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >>>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >>>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>>
    >>>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >>>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >>>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    >> What is the headet-to-PC interface?
    >> Analog audio? USB?
    >>

    > Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
    > according to box).
    >
    > Connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port works fine with headset
    > plugged in.
    > My guess is that the USB port "closest" to the headset port may be shared?
    > If so,
    > this is not documented in the User Manual. But, I could be missing
    > something.

    Although a bit flaky (since I get I/O error every other try), I was able to
    get it to scan using a "different" USB port with headset plugged in.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    And, I love Ubuntu ! :)
    Adam, Feb 1, 2012
  9. Adam

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 31, 4:55 pm, Aragorn <> wrote:
    > On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:33, BillW50 conveyed the following to
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu...
    >
    > > Adam wrote:
    > >> Host OS:    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    > >> System:    ASUS N61JQ (laptop)

    > >> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    > >> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    > >> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.

    > >> Any ideas?

    > > Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

    > For your information, GNU/Linux has already for long surpassed
    > proprietary UNIX in professionalism, robustness and quality.
    >
    > A great number of hardware vendors is working with the Linux kernel
    > development team directly and are releasing their driver code under the
    > GPLv2.  There is no other operating system on the planet that supports
    > as many hardware architectures and as many hardware peripherals out of
    > the box as GNU/Linux.
    >
    > In addition to that, 96% of the world's most powerful supercomputers are
    > running GNU/Linux, and it also runs on IBM mainframes, on the bare
    > metal.  Do you seriously think that an amateurish OS with amateurish
    > drivers would ever be selected for those purposes?
    >
    > > And when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame!

    > When something goes wrong in proprietary operating systems, there's
    > nobody to blame either.  And if you won't believe that, then please read
    > their EULAs more carefully next time.
    >
    > > That is what open source is all about. There is nothing professional
    > > about it.

    > You obviously have a very personal and totally skewed definition of the
    > word "professional".
    >
    > > So I don't know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

    > You score about 3 on the troll-o-meter, and about 7 on the flame bait
    > meter.  I guess that makes you an amateur.
    >
    > --
    > = Aragorn =
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    Good response...and deserved! :)
    Bob_Villa, Feb 1, 2012
  10. Re: scan apps fail to detect scanner device with headset pluggedin - please help

    Op 31-01-12 23:07 schreef BillW50:
    > Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

    You should take your pills.
    Dirk T. Verbeek, Feb 1, 2012
  11. Adam

    MarkA Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:58:48 -0800, Adam wrote:

    > Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    > System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >
    > Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    > detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    > As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Cool. Does the scanner still show if you run lspci or lsusb?

    --
    MarkA

    If you can read this, you can stop reading now.
    MarkA, Feb 1, 2012
  12. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "MarkA" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:58:48 -0800, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>
    >> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Cool. Does the scanner still show if you run lspci or lsusb?
    >
    > --
    > MarkA
    >
    > If you can read this, you can stop reading now.

    Yes, scanner shows each time "lsusb" is run.
    Just can't get scan apps to detect scanner device reliably.
    And then, when the device is detected, it may still get I/O error in
    the middle of a scan. But, when I'm really lucky, it scans successfully.
    :)
    So, a wide range of possibilities but I can't pinpoint the cause.
    Adam, Feb 1, 2012
  13. Adam

    Aragorn Guest

    On Wednesday 01 February 2012 21:25, Adam conveyed the following to
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu...

    > "MarkA" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:58:48 -0800, Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    >>> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
    >>>
    >>> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
    >>> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
    >>> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Cool. Does the scanner still show if you run lspci or lsusb?

    > Yes, scanner shows each time "lsusb" is run.
    > Just can't get scan apps to detect scanner device reliably.
    > And then, when the device is detected, it may still get I/O error in
    > the middle of a scan. But, when I'm really lucky, it scans
    > successfully.
    > :)
    > So, a wide range of possibilities but I can't pinpoint the cause.

    Could be a wild goose chase, but given that your scanner seems to stop
    working normally when you plug in the headset, I suspect a hardware
    conflict.

    Just for fun's sake, have you tried plugging in the scanner into another
    USB port, preferably on another USB hub of the motherboard?

    Aragorn, Feb 1, 2012
  14. In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

    >Any ideas?

    Resource conflict
    Power (lack of sufficient)
    the wharf rat, Feb 1, 2012
  15. Re: scan apps fail to detect scanner device with headset pluggedin - please help

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > In article<jg9km4$19k$>, Adam<adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > Resource conflict
    > Power (lack of sufficient)

    That was going to be my guess. Some laptops are marginal on power to the
    usb ports. Some like mine have one powered usb port.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 1, 2012
  16. Adam

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob_Villa wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 4:55 pm, Aragorn <> wrote:
    >> On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:33, BillW50 conveyed the following to
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu...

    >>> Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

    >> For your information, GNU/Linux has already for long surpassed
    >> proprietary UNIX in professionalism, robustness and quality.

    Yes they have been saying this for many years. And we are still waiting.
    And apparently my reply yesterday on my Linux machine never posted.
    Nothing new there. Linux always has a nasty habit of huge
    disappointments for me anyway.

    >> A great number of hardware vendors is working with the Linux kernel
    >> development team directly and are releasing their driver code under
    >> the GPLv2. There is no other operating system on the planet that
    >> supports as many hardware architectures and as many hardware
    >> peripherals out of the box as GNU/Linux.

    No way! I am sure it is very easy to snow people like Bob Villa, but the
    rest of us are not so gullible. If you are going to try to support your
    position by bull (people who uses dishonesty annoy me), you can at least
    do better than that. Even newbies to Linux knows that Linux drivers and
    applications are very weak compared to Windows or even the Mac.

    >> In addition to that, 96% of the world's most powerful supercomputers
    >> are running GNU/Linux, and it also runs on IBM mainframes, on the
    >> bare metal. Do you seriously think that an amateurish OS with
    >> amateurish drivers would ever be selected for those purposes?

    Boy you sure leave a lot of important parts out, didn't you? So what
    choice do they have? As the keepers of the mainframe are aging and they
    are going to be retiring soon enough and take their knowledge with them.
    And who can find younger people who understands mainframe OS?

    Plus mainframes have been on the decline for 15 years now. And companies
    like IBM have been looking for more opportunities and now selling
    mainframes to compete with the server market. And any lame OS can handle
    operating a server. So here comes Linux. Although it had taken IBM years
    to port the drivers over to Linux. IBM has been trying to get Linux
    usable on mainframes for 12 years now.

    >>> And when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame!

    >> When something goes wrong in proprietary operating systems, there's
    >> nobody to blame either. And if you won't believe that, then please
    >> read their EULAs more carefully next time.

    Naw, piece of cake. If it doesn't work, take it back to the place you
    bought it and go buy their competitor that does work. Believe me,
    developers learn really quickly when they have high return rates.

    >>> That is what open source is all about. There is nothing professional
    >>> about it.

    >> You obviously have a very personal and totally skewed definition of
    >> the word "professional".
    >>
    >>> So I don't know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

    >> You score about 3 on the troll-o-meter, and about 7 on the flame bait
    >> meter. I guess that makes you an amateur.

    You are so confused! "I never give them hell; I just tell them the truth
    and they think it's hell."

    > Good response...and deserved! :) -- Bob Villa

    Looks like you earned a friend Aragorn. As the more bull you use, the
    more Bob will like you. You see Bob has this evil streak in him. As he
    also enjoys telling people to replace all of the wrong parts that isn't
    the problem just to be mean to strangers.

    REFERENCES:
    Mark Shuttleworth: Mainframes Are Going Away - Softpedia
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mark-Shuttleworth-Mainframes-Are-Going-Away-229763.shtml

    Mainframes, Myths and Manpower | The METISfiles
    http://www.themetisfiles.com/2011/06/mainframes-myths-and-manpower/

    CA Launches Chorus To Make Mainframes Cool | TechWeekEurope UK
    http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/ca-launches-chorus-to-make-mainframes-cool-7140

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Feb 1, 2012
  17. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "the wharf rat" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>

    > Resource conflict
    > Power (lack of sufficient)

    I usually have the power adapter connected so it's not running off of
    battery.
    Will keep "resource conflict" in mind since the headset is no longer
    connected.
    Adam, Feb 1, 2012
  18. Adam

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:jgcgsu$dv0$,
    Adam wrote:
    > "the wharf rat" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <jg9km4$19k$>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Resource conflict
    >> Power (lack of sufficient)

    > I usually have the power adapter connected so it's not running off of
    > battery.
    > Will keep "resource conflict" in mind since the headset is no longer
    > connected.

    Devices with a headphone jack used to have a switch to disconnect the
    main speakers when you plugged something into the jack. Nowadays they
    have done away with the switch and a chip senses whether headphones or
    something else is plugged in. So I would be curious what happens when
    you plug in a patch cord? Then also check with external speakers.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Feb 2, 2012
  19. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > In news:jgcgsu$dv0$,
    > Adam wrote:
    >> "the wharf rat" <> wrote in message

    >>> Resource conflict
    >>> Power (lack of sufficient)

    >> I usually have the power adapter connected so it's not running off of
    >> battery.
    >> Will keep "resource conflict" in mind since the headset is no longer
    >> connected.

    > Devices with a headphone jack used to have a switch to disconnect the main
    > speakers when you plugged something into the jack. Nowadays they have done
    > away with the switch and a chip senses whether headphones or something
    > else is plugged in. So I would be curious what happens when you plug in a
    > patch cord? Then also check with external speakers.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    According to the User Manual for "Headphone Output Jack"

    "The stereo headphone jack (1/8 inch) is used to connect
    the Notebook PC's audio out signal to amplified speakers
    or headphones. Using this jack automatically disables the
    built-in speakers."

    The jack is "currently" not used.

    But, I could try plugging in external speakers. I don't think I have a
    patch cord around.
    Adam, Feb 2, 2012
  20. Adam

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Feb 1, 5:08 pm, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    <yawn>
    Bob_Villa, Feb 2, 2012