    Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    --
    Jeff Wieland
    Jeff Wieland, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Jeff Wieland

    vinayaga Guest

    On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:
    > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > of inactivity.
    >
    > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.
    >
    > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > but there never seemed to be a solution.
    >
    > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > --
    > Jeff Wieland

    Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.
    vinayaga, Mar 25, 2008

  3. Jeff Wieland

    vinayaga Guest

    On Mar 25, 11:44 am, vinayaga <> wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland <> wrote:
    >

    > > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
    > > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
    > > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
    > > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
    > > of inactivity.

    > > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
    > > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
    > > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
    > > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

    > > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
    > > but there never seemed to be a solution.

    > > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
    > > --
    > > Jeff Wieland

    > Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

    sorry to update the syntax.
    timout: 10:00:00 # 10 hours no blank screen

    vinayag
    vinayaga, Mar 25, 2008
  4. Jeff Wieland

    ChrisS Guest

    Jeff,

    I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    hardware and/or power management functions.

    Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.

    So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.

    Chris
    ChrisS, Mar 25, 2008
  5. Jeff Wieland

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    In article <> ChrisS <> writes:
    >Jeff,
    >
    >I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >hardware and/or power management functions.
    >
    >Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >
    >So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >
    >Chris

    They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.

    BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    --
    Jeff Wieland
    Jeff Wieland, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Jeff Wieland

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    In article <fsbp7e$ao0$> Jeff Wieland <> writes:
    >In article <> ChrisS <> writes:
    >>Jeff,
    >>
    >>I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
    >>screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
    >>with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
    >>Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
    >>24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
    >>hardware and/or power management functions.
    >>
    >>Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
    >>XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
    >>
    >>So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>

    >They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.
    >
    >BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
    >--
    >Jeff Wieland

    After a system reboot, the monitor will blank after 10 minutes,
    and unblank at 30 minutes.

    As far as I can tell, Xsun is set blank after 10 minutes. The output
    from "xset q" looks like (I get this from my /etc/dt/config/Xsetup
    script):

    Screen Saver:
    prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
    timeout: 600 cycle: 600
    [stuff deleted]
    DPMS (Energy Star):
    Standby: 1440 Suspend: 1620 Off: 1800
    DPMS is enabled
    Monitor is on
    FBPM (Frame Buffer Power Management):
    System is not capable of FBPM

    I've tried having turning off DPMS and powerd, but we get the
    same result. Weird.

    --
    Jeff Wieland
    Jeff Wieland, Mar 26, 2008