    My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set to
    the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
    version. Is this normal?

    Scott, Nov 22, 2010

  2. Scott

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set to
    > the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
    > version. Is this normal?

    It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
    or convertor.
    At low light levels the hardware starts failing
    ignition of the tube.
    Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

    Sjouke Burry, Nov 22, 2010

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
    brightness by a step.

    Scott, Nov 22, 2010
  4. Scott

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 22, 1:28 am, Scott <>
    wrote:
    > Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
    > brightness by a step.
    >
    > Sjouke Burry <> wrote:
    > > Scott wrote:
    > >> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set
    > >> the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
    > >> version. Is this normal?

    > > It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
    > > or convertor.
    > > At low light levels the hardware starts failing
    > > ignition of the tube.
    > > Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

    You may be good for years...just keep it at a threshold that doesn't
    flicker. (I wish they made a netbook display like the ebooks have-no
    back-light!)

    Bob Villa, Nov 22, 2010
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    How does text entry work on an e-ink screen? Is every character you type
    considered a screen refresh? If so that would consume a lot of power for
    typical text editing or spreadsheet tasks.

    Scott, Nov 22, 2010
  6. Scott

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Nov 22, 7:00 am, Scott <>
    wrote:
    > How does text entry work on an e-ink screen? Is every character you type
    > considered a screen refresh? If so that would consume a lot of power for
    > typical text editing or spreadsheet tasks.
    >
    > Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > > On Nov 22, 1:28 am, Scott <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
    > >> brightness by a step.

    > > You may be good for years...just keep it at a threshold that doesn't
    > > flicker.  (I wish they made a netbook display like the ebooks have-no
    > > back-light!)

    I'm not talking about the way an ebook may work...only applying the
    display technology (ambient rather than back-lit).

    Bob Villa, Nov 22, 2010
  7. Scott

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4ce9ba52$0$8930$,
    Sjouke Burry typed on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:33:22 +0100:
    > Scott wrote:
    >> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set
    >> to the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
    >> version. Is this normal?

    > It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
    > or convertor.
    > At low light levels the hardware starts failing
    > ignition of the tube.
    > Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

    EeePCs doesn't use florescent tubes or inverters (what you are calling a
    converter). They use LEDs for back lighting. And no Scott, that isn't
    normal. Although I would guess it will work for years this way.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Nov 23, 2010