SDD

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Jun 25, 2012.

  1. I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
    next Macintosh.

    I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
    don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
    drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
    1. Advertising

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    On 2012-06-25 12:15 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
    > next Macintosh.


    Sexy Disk Drive?

    >
    > I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
    > don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
    > drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?


    I would hope on the SSD. In effect, the directory structure that a
    virgin install would result in, as well as after adding users.

    Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.



    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.
     
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.


    But those folders go inside the user's home folder. If the Users folder is
    on the SSD and I I move those folders out of the user's home folder, they
    won't be protected by my user password.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  4. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
    > next Macintosh.
    >
    > I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
    > don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
    > drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?


    Yes, it's just a disk, so everything comes on it as normal.

    I bought the low end Mini (hence, these days, with an empty slot), and
    an SSD and extra memory from Crucial. Then I sent it all off to be
    installed by a professional outfit and so now have a decent speed
    machine. Cheaper than buying a config with SSD from the Apple Store.

    --
    Tim

    "That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
    nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
     
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    On 2012-06-25 12:44 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    >> on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

    >
    > But those folders go inside the user's home folder. If the Users folder is
    > on the SSD and I I move those folders out of the user's home folder, they
    > won't be protected by my user password.


    If you follow the Apple OS X "preset" structure for music, photos,
    documents, then yes.

    But you certainly don't have to and I don't know of an application that
    won't access files outside the defaults/presets (not entirely sure about
    iTunes).

    For example, my photos are (99.99%) within:

    ~/documents/photography/photographs

    rather than in

    ~/Pictures

    And those phots could indeed be on a separate drive such as

    /volumes/drobo/photos

    if desired.

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.
     
  6. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    > > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    > > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

    >
    > But those folders go inside the user's home folder.


    Only by default.

    > If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
    > the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.


    Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
    your HDD, otherwise?

    --
    Tim

    "That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
    nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
     
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    On 2012-06-25 12:57 , Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and

    >> so > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed
    >> things up.
    >>
    >> But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

    >
    > Only by default.
    >
    >> If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
    >> the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

    >
    > Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
    > your HDD, otherwise?


    Thanks, I forgot to address the password / owner issue.

    I'd add to that that you can use the FileVault feature as well for both
    the 2nd internal volume and external volumes.


    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.
     
  8. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > > > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    > > > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

    > >
    > > But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

    >
    > Only by default.
    >
    > > If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
    > > the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

    >
    > Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
    > your HDD, otherwise?


    Well, I was hoping to be able to put the Users folder on the HDD, and keep
    all my documents there, with the OS and applications staying on the SSD.

    But if the next generation of iMac offers SSDs greater than the current
    256G, I just may get only an SSD, and forego an HDD entirely. (Depending
    on price, of course.)

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  9. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Thanks, I forgot to address the password / owner issue.
    >
    > I'd add to that that you can use the FileVault feature as well for both
    > the 2nd internal volume and external volumes.


    How would that affect other users?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  10. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > For example, my photos are (99.99%) within:
    >
    > ~/documents/photography/photographs
    >
    > rather than in
    >
    > ~/Pictures


    Both of those are in your Home folder, though.

    > And those phots could indeed be on a separate drive such as
    >
    > /volumes/drobo/photos


    And therefore accessible from any user account on the computer, right?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  11. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
    > next Macintosh.


    > I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
    > don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
    > drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?


    Everything is on the SSD, the HD is empty.


    --
    By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man
    and wife. Proceed with the execution.
     
  12. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    In message <-september.org>
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:


    >> For example, my photos are (99.99%) within:
    >>
    >> ~/documents/photography/photographs
    >>
    >> rather than in
    >>
    >> ~/Pictures


    > Both of those are in your Home folder, though.


    >> And those phots could indeed be on a separate drive such as
    >>
    >> /volumes/drobo/photos


    > And therefore accessible from any user account on the computer, right?


    No, you can set permissions however you want.



    --
    Generalizations are always inaccurate.
     
  13. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    In message <-september.org>
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:


    >> > > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    >> > > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.
    >> >
    >> > But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

    >>
    >> Only by default.
    >>
    >> > If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
    >> > the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

    >>
    >> Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
    >> your HDD, otherwise?


    > Well, I was hoping to be able to put the Users folder on the HDD, and keep
    > all my documents there, with the OS and applications staying on the SSD.


    That would nearly completely eliminate the advantage of your SSD.

    --
    Beware of the Leopard!
     
  14. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    In message <>
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:


    >> In message <-september.org>
    >> Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >> > In article <>,
    >> > Tim Streater <> wrote:

    >>
    >> >> > > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and
    >> >> > > so
    >> >> > > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things
    >> >> > > up.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > But those folders go inside the user's home folder.
    >> >>
    >> >> Only by default.
    >> >>
    >> >> > If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
    >> >> > the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.
    >> >>
    >> >> Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
    >> >> your HDD, otherwise?

    >>
    >> > Well, I was hoping to be able to put the Users folder on the HDD, and keep
    >> > all my documents there, with the OS and applications staying on the SSD.

    >>
    >> That would nearly completely eliminate the advantage of your SSD.


    > Hardly, though the advantage would be decreased. Booting is *much*
    > faster when the OS resides on an SSD, and lots of OS operations that hit
    > the SSD are also much faster.


    Booting would slow down as the system spun up the hard drive to log you
    in. Trust me, it is a very noticeable difference when I login to my
    MacPro on my main account (SSD) and my admin account (Hard drive), even
    thought he system is on the SSD in both cases.

    --
    I have NOT lost my mind! I've got a backup around here somewhere.
     
  15. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > > Well, I was hoping to be able to put the Users folder on the HDD, and keep
    > > all my documents there, with the OS and applications staying on the SSD.

    >
    > That would nearly completely eliminate the advantage of your SSD.


    Um, the drive would startup, and the apps would launch, much faster than on
    an SSD, so how would I eliminate the advantage of the SSD?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  16. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    In message <>
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    > My point is stating it "nearly completely eliminates the advantage" is
    > disingenuous, since there is still a big advantage.


    Really, it sure doesn't feel like it. When booted into the admin account
    I don't see any of the zippiness that I see with my normal account. I
    think so much is written and read from the user account space all the
    time that you really are giving up a lot putting $HOME on a spinny disk.

    I haven't done benchmarks, but I do hear the hard drive spin up during
    the boot and the system waits and then the desktop appears and apps
    start launching. Off the SDD the HD doesn't spin up and there's no pause.
     
  17. Re: SDD (SSD)

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > Um, the drive would startup, and the apps would launch, much faster
    > > than on an SSD, so how would I eliminate the advantage of the SSD?

    >
    > You wouldn't. Most base OS and application operations would be
    > significantly faster. It's just storing *everything* on the SSD would be
    > even faster than that.


    That's the reason I'm thinking of getting one with only an SSD if they
    offer one larger than 256G in the next model of iMac. I'm fairly confident
    they will because the 13" MBA and the MBP have a 512G SSD available;
    there's even a 768 GB SSD available for one model of the MBP with Retina
    Display.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
  18. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:44:10 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
    >> on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

    >
    > But those folders go inside the user's home folder. If the Users folder
    > is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of the user's home folder,
    > they won't be protected by my user password.


    That's not true. You can create a directory on another drive and make it
    owned by your user account, provided that you set the "Allow file
    ownership" on that volume (in Disk Utility IIRC).

    --
    Paul Sture
     
  19. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    Re: SDD (SSD)

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 01:57:25 +0000, Lewis wrote:

    > In message <>
    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >> My point is stating it "nearly completely eliminates the advantage" is
    >> disingenuous, since there is still a big advantage.

    >
    > Really, it sure doesn't feel like it. When booted into the admin account
    > I don't see any of the zippiness that I see with my normal account. I
    > think so much is written and read from the user account space all the
    > time that you really are giving up a lot putting $HOME on a spinny disk.
    >
    > I haven't done benchmarks, but I do hear the hard drive spin up during
    > the boot and the system waits and then the desktop appears and apps
    > start launching. Off the SDD the HD doesn't spin up and there's no
    > pause.


    But you are only talking about loggin in. I do that no more than once a
    day, even less if I leave my system on overnight,.

    --
    Paul Sture
     
  20. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:55:16 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

    > I bought the low end Mini (hence, these days, with an empty slot), and
    > an SSD and extra memory from Crucial. Then I sent it all off to be
    > installed by a professional outfit and so now have a decent speed
    > machine. Cheaper than buying a config with SSD from the Apple Store.


    The idea of sending a system off to be installed made me have a double
    take there.

    But when I think about all the traipsing about I needed to do to get the
    right cables and connectors the last time I did a major upgrade (OK, this
    was a PC not a Mac), paying a pro who has all that stuff to hand makes a
    lot of sense.

    --
    Paul Sture
     
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. PeteCresswell

    Bigger SDD For eeePC 901?

    PeteCresswell, Aug 15, 2009, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    699
    (PeteCresswell)
    Aug 24, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page