SE6: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by GinTonix, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. GinTonix

    GinTonix Guest

    Hi ya!

    I got a "dead" (no picture said the guy, I was buying a 128MB SDRAM from him
    and I got the mobo for free) SE-6 (v.1.0) some time ago and finally, on
    Thursday I put together a websurf box. A piece of cake - just bios reset and
    it was ready to serve. It has a Celeron II 566, /w Golden Orb, Club 3D ATi
    Radeon 7500, and two pieces of 128MB 133MHz SDRAM's, in the two slots
    farthest from the processor socket. The first SDRAM is an old two-sided one,
    and the other one is a bit newer, single sided type of SDRAM. The latest
    bios (fresh from Abit web pages) has been downloaded and installed.

    Now I'm having some peculiar problems:

    If I run the system in auto settings (66MHz FSB, 100MHz for the SDRAM)
    everything goes fine.

    If I rise the FSB to 100MHz to squeeze the last drops out of the Celeron, I
    have to also rise the voltage from the stock setting of 1,5V to 1,7V's
    before the system gets stabilized. Now, everything SEEMS to be OK, but for
    some obscure reason I don't seem to be able to run the 3DMark99MAX. It
    freezes every time. On the other hand, 3DMark 2000 is running perfectly and
    so do everything else. Except that one and only piece of software, which
    will crash every single time.

    The power should be good enough, it's a 300W Seventeam (a coincidence -
    Zalman is selling the same type of PSU's under their own label in other
    countries, I mean its got the same product code, specifications, looks and
    everything).

    Suggestions?? I have already superficially checked the caps and they SEEM
    fine (yes, I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything if they just look
    fine). Is there something I should know about Radeon on this mobo (or Radeon
    on ANY mobo, never had any before this one)? How about bios settings (AGP
    Aperture, AGP 2/4, delayed transactions and whatever the ones having an
    effect here are), I have kept them as close as possible to the default ones?
    Driver issues? Latest set has been downloaded from ATi pages and installed.
    Should the (mobo) chipset heat sink be equipped with a fan if I rise the
    FSB, it currently only has the ugly green thing on it? Could it be so that
    this particular Celeron doesn't like to be overclocked and she (processors
    are always female, think about their temper and strange ways of behaviour
    :) just gets confused if I try to make her work too hard? Well... if
    someone has something constructive to say, please do so. While waiting for
    that, I'll remove the single-sided DIMM and try running the test with the
    double-sided only. For some reason I feel it could be the memory (those two
    probably won't run together, not even if they were both in perfect
    condition).

    --
    gt

    GinTonix, Oct 18, 2003

  2. GinTonix

    GinTonix Guest

    Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    "GinTonix" <> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi ya!

    ....problems cut off...

    And, it really is that only the 3DMark99MAX doesn't work. Am I missing some
    general knowledge here?

    GinTonix, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    Nothing extreme ... just a 50% overclock!

    Does your 3DMark program run with the FSB set to 66Mhz.?

    Try Prime95 ... Google for it. Does it run error free at 100Mhz.?
    If not, then back off on the FSB till Prime95 runs error free.

    Colon Terminus, Oct 18, 2003
  4. GinTonix

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    I have an SE6 on an old computer and it is very stable. I have PIII-733 at
    FSB=140MHz. Could go higher but the onbord sound will quit. Since everything
    works at rated speeds and you only have problem at overclock you can assume
    the overclock is problem. The OpenGL tests are most sensitive to memory/CPU
    errors. To isolate, try Memtest86. Also be sure not to overclock AGP/PCI bus
    too much. Experiment with memory timings. Be sure to Assign IRQ to VGA,
    disable Passive Release and VGA Pallet Snoop, and not cache anything. I
    replaced a bulging/leaking capacitor on mine.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Oct 18, 2003
  5. GinTonix

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    Are you using the DIP switch to set frequencies or Soft Menu? The best is to
    set switch to allow BIOS to set frequency as you will have a lot more
    control.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    Yeah, but you're only overclocking about 5%. The OP is looking at
    a 50% OC. There's an enormous difference.

    Colon Terminus, Oct 19, 2003
  7. GinTonix

    GinTonix Guest

    Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    "Kent_Diego" <> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I have an SE6 on an old computer and it is very stable. I have PIII-733 at
    > FSB=140MHz. Could go higher but the onbord sound will quit. Since

    everything
    > works at rated speeds and you only have problem at overclock you can

    assume
    > the overclock is problem. The OpenGL tests are most sensitive to

    memory/CPU

    Yes, everything goes fine without overclock. Probably it is the CPU - it
    seems that it is not a good sample of those early FC-PGA Celerons (a 566
    one). Not all of them can take the 100FSB and it seems I have one of them.
    Maybe more voltage would do the trick but I'm not going to fry it. I'll
    rather have my kids (5,5 and 2 yrs:) have a live 566 Celeron in their games
    machine than a dead one in the closet and a 350 P2 in the machine instead.

    > errors. To isolate, try Memtest86. Also be sure not to overclock AGP/PCI

    bus

    Remind you, FSB 100 is one of "the safe ones", that's why I'm either going
    to get 100 or not going at all. At 100MHz FSB everything is in
    specifications, i.e. AGP, PCI and memory.

    > too much. Experiment with memory timings.

    Timings are as slow as I can get them on SE6.

    > Be sure to Assign IRQ to VGA,

    Sure...

    > disable Passive Release and VGA Pallet Snoop, and not cache anything. I

    Hmm.. passive relase disabled..? Gotta try that one. Pallette snoop has
    always been disabled in my PC's.

    > replaced a bulging/leaking capacitor on mine.

    All of them seem to be doing fine, and MBM5 (installed it AFTER getting the
    problems) shows that all the voltages seem to be OK.

    GinTonix, Oct 20, 2003
  8. GinTonix

    GinTonix Guest

    Re: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100)

    "Colon Terminus" <> kirjoitti viestissä

    > Nothing extreme ... just a 50% overclock!

    Yup, for the early FC-PGA Celerons it is nothing extreme. Just like the good
    old Celeron 300A - if you had one which wouldn't run at 100FSB you'd have
    been really unlucky.

    > Does your 3DMark program run with the FSB set to 66Mhz.?

    Yes, it does. I know - just don't overclock and that's it. Maybe the SE6
    just cannot force the CPU to run on 100MHZ FSB and that's the end of the
    story.

    > Try Prime95 ... Google for it. Does it run error free at 100Mhz.?

    Gotta check that one out. Thanks for the tip.

    > If not, then back off on the FSB till Prime95 runs error free.

    I'll go back to 66MHz FSB if it won't go flawless at 100. Or then maybe I'll
    try the P3 650E at 133 FSB.. the Celeron would then go to a BF6 which gives
    a lot more oppoturnities than SE6 v1.0.

    --
    gt

    GinTonix, Oct 20, 2003
  9. GinTonix

    > Are you using the DIP switch to set frequencies or Soft Menu? The best is

    > set switch to allow BIOS to set frequency as you will have a lot more
    > control.

    I've gotten used to do the trick in bios, just for the reason you described.
    Besides, it is a lot easier.

    --
    gt

    GinTonix, Oct 20, 2003