Seagate GoFlex FW800

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Lewis, Jul 13, 2012.

  1. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    I have a Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB drive I just got in the mail.

    If I connect it to my MBP it mounts right up. Downstairs I have a Mac
    mini with an external FW800 and an external FW800 RAID case daisy-
    chained to the mini.

    mini -> external -> RAID

    If I plug the Seagate into the RAID case's second FW800 port, it doesn't
    mount.

    It should do, though, right? I'm not sure I'v ever had 3 FW800 devices
    daisy-chained, but I thought the maximum was well over 50 (and I know I
    once had 9 FW400 devices daisy chained, just to prove it worked).

    Is it possible that the RAID case isn't providing enough power for the
    bus powered drive? I thought that was a requirement (unlike USB).

    I am going to try shuffling the devices so that it is

    mini -> RAID -> external

    and then put the Seagate on the end of that chain, but it will be
    several hours before I can shut down.

    --
    Ille Qui Nos Omnes Servabit
     
    Lewis, Jul 13, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Lewis <> wrote:
    > I have a Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB drive I just got in the mail.


    > If I connect it to my MBP it mounts right up. Downstairs I have a Mac
    > mini with an external FW800 and an external FW800 RAID case daisy-
    > chained to the mini.


    > mini -> external -> RAID


    > If I plug the Seagate into the RAID case's second FW800 port, it doesn't
    > mount.


    > It should do, though, right? I'm not sure I'v ever had 3 FW800 devices
    > daisy-chained, but I thought the maximum was well over 50 (and I know I
    > once had 9 FW400 devices daisy chained, just to prove it worked).


    > Is it possible that the RAID case isn't providing enough power for the
    > bus powered drive? I thought that was a requirement (unlike USB).


    > I am going to try shuffling the devices so that it is


    > mini -> RAID -> external


    > and then put the Seagate on the end of that chain, but it will be
    > several hours before I can shut down.


    That didn't work.


    --
    FOUR QUEENS. HMM. THAT IS VERY HIGH. Death looked down at his cards,
    and then up into Granny's steady, blue-eyed gaze. Neither moved for
    some time. Then Death laid the hand on the table. I LOSE, he said. ALL
    I HAVE IS FOUR ONES.
     
    Lewis, Jul 14, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lewis

    Király Guest

    Lewis <> wrote:
    > > and then put the Seagate on the end of that chain, but it will be
    > > several hours before I can shut down.

    >
    > That didn't work.


    Does Disk Utility or System Profiler see the drive?

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
     
    Király, Jul 14, 2012
    #3
  4. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <jts5ij$u6d$>
    Király <> wrote:
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >> > and then put the Seagate on the end of that chain, but it will be
    >> > several hours before I can shut down.

    >>
    >> That didn't work.


    > Does Disk Utility or System Profiler see the drive?


    No, the drive never powers on. The Seagate GoFlex 2.5" bus powered
    drives have a light on the connector that come on when the drive gets
    power. If I plug it into the chain, it doesn't turn on. If I plug it in
    directly to the FW port on the computers, it does and then the drive
    mounts after a few seconds as expected.

    I find this odd as I though only USB pulled this kind of crap with power
    on the bus. Both the other FW devices have independent power.

    It seems to work fine via USB2, for certain values of 'fine' that
    include 'a **** of a lot slower'.

    --
    Evil is a little man afraid for his job.
     
    Lewis, Jul 14, 2012
    #4
  5. Lewis

    Király Guest

    Lewis <> wrote:
    > No, the drive never powers on. The Seagate GoFlex 2.5" bus powered
    > drives have a light on the connector that come on when the drive gets
    > power. If I plug it into the chain, it doesn't turn on. If I plug it in
    > directly to the FW port on the computers, it does and then the drive
    > mounts after a few seconds as expected.
    >
    > I find this odd as I though only USB pulled this kind of crap with power
    > on the bus. Both the other FW devices have independent power.


    It seems that the power supplies of the intermediary devices are not
    powerful enough to supply their own devices and an additional
    bus-powered device. I don't think this can be considered unexpected.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
     
    Király, Jul 14, 2012
    #5
  6. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <jtsnce$7q3$>
    Király <> wrote:
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >> No, the drive never powers on. The Seagate GoFlex 2.5" bus powered
    >> drives have a light on the connector that come on when the drive gets
    >> power. If I plug it into the chain, it doesn't turn on. If I plug it in
    >> directly to the FW port on the computers, it does and then the drive
    >> mounts after a few seconds as expected.
    >>
    >> I find this odd as I though only USB pulled this kind of crap with power
    >> on the bus. Both the other FW devices have independent power.


    > It seems that the power supplies of the intermediary devices are not
    > powerful enough to supply their own devices and an additional
    > bus-powered device. I don't think this can be considered unexpected.


    I was under the impression the FW spec required every device with two FW
    ports to provide full power to both ports. This ensures the daisy chain
    works. devices without two ports obviously do not have this requirement,
    but are necessarily limited ot the end of the chain.

    Could be wrong, it's been many years since I looked at the FW spec
    requirements.

    --
    I WILL NOT BARF UNLESS I'M SICK Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F15
     
    Lewis, Jul 15, 2012
    #6
  7. Lewis

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:12:12 +0000, Lewis wrote:

    > In message <jts5ij$u6d$>
    > Király <> wrote:
    >> Lewis <> wrote:
    >>> > and then put the Seagate on the end of that chain, but it will be
    >>> > several hours before I can shut down.
    >>>
    >>> That didn't work.

    >
    >> Does Disk Utility or System Profiler see the drive?

    >
    > No, the drive never powers on. The Seagate GoFlex 2.5" bus powered
    > drives have a light on the connector that come on when the drive gets
    > power. If I plug it into the chain, it doesn't turn on. If I plug it in
    > directly to the FW port on the computers, it does and then the drive
    > mounts after a few seconds as expected.
    >
    > I find this odd as I though only USB pulled this kind of crap with power
    > on the bus. Both the other FW devices have independent power.


    I have a couple of 70 GB Lacie FW 400 drives dating back to 2005/2006.
    These allegedly worked from the FW power but my old iBook didn't pump
    enough out so I had to use the external power supplies. I haven't tried
    running them without the external supplies on a later Mac simply because
    they are already plugged in.

    > It seems to work fine via USB2, for certain values of 'fine' that
    > include 'a **** of a lot slower'.


    I see a tremendous variation in USB2 speeds, especially when transferring
    large numbers of GB at a time. FW has much more consistent performance
    here.

    --
    Paul Sture
     
    Paul Sture, Jul 15, 2012
    #7
  8. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Paul Sture <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:12:12 +0000, Lewis wrote:
    >> It seems to work fine via USB2, for certain values of 'fine' that
    >> include 'a **** of a lot slower'.


    > I see a tremendous variation in USB2 speeds, especially when transferring
    > large numbers of GB at a time. FW has much more consistent performance
    > here.


    Yep. Certainly don't want to be moving nearly a terabyte of data over
    USB2. I plugged it into the macbook, plugged that into gigabit, and
    copied that way.

    --
    "A thousand years ago we thought the world was a bowl. Five hundred
    years ago we knew it was a globe. Today we know it is flat and round
    carried through space on the back of a turtle. Don't you wonder what
    shape it will turn out to be tomorrow?" [Lord Vetinari]
     
    Lewis, Jul 16, 2012
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Leer

    G4 FW800 vs. G4 MDD 2003

    Leer, Jan 26, 2004, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    204
  2. Marc Heusser
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    143
    Marc Heusser
    Dec 19, 2005
  3. Marc Heusser
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    179
    Király
    Dec 26, 2005
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Seagate GoFlex

    Michelle Steiner, May 16, 2011, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    72
    Views:
    1,270
    Your Name
    May 24, 2011
  5. Király

    Why FW800 so slow?

    Király, Oct 30, 2011, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    486
    Lewis
    Nov 2, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page