Searching for Basic PC Recommendation

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Daave, Sep 28, 2011.

  1. Daave

    Daave Guest

    A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    a new monitor.

    She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:

    Inspiron 570 for $350
    Inspiron 620 for $500

    I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about
    certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    installation DVDs these days?

    Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)

    TIA.
    Daave, Sep 28, 2011

  2. Daave wrote:
    > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    > a new monitor.
    >
    > She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    > Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >
    > Inspiron 570 for $350
    > Inspiron 620 for $500
    >
    > I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    > circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about
    > certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    > perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    > installation DVDs these days?
    >
    > Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    > (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    > she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    > genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    > users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    > me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    > program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >
    > TIA.

    Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.
    Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    built in webcam, etc.
    I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    frys.com
    microcenter.com
    Paul in Houston TX, Sep 28, 2011

  3. Daave

    SC Tom Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message news:j5tv0u$dhp$...
    >A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP Home). She basically uses it for general Web
    >browsing and occasional word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want a new monitor.
    >
    > She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs
    > on sale:
    >
    > Inspiron 570 for $350
    > Inspiron 620 for $500
    >
    > I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run circles around what she currently has. But I'd like
    > to know more about certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and perhaps other brands of PCs).
    > Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS installation DVDs these days?
    >
    > Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP
    > environment for any old apps she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some genealogy program. I'll
    > ask her the name and version. Perhaps other users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell me
    > if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >
    > TIA.

    Other things to look at besides the older programs (which, unless they're 16-bit programs, will PROBABLY run fine in
    Windows 7) would include newer versions of Windows programs that she is currently using.
    Is she running IE7 or IE8? There's going to be some change for her to get used to IE9, if that's already installed on
    the Win7 machine. If IE8 is on the Win7 machine, then you can leave that for her and the change isn't that great. (Be
    sure to change the update to IE9 to "Don't notify me again.")
    What is she using for email? Since she has XP now, odds are she's using Outlook Express (unless she's using web mail of
    some flavor). Now you'll have to install some other email program for her and train her on it since Win7 doesn't have a
    built-in one. Some manufacturers are bundling MS Essentials with their PC's, which includes Live Mail (similar to OE,
    but not the same).
    How adept is she at learning new things? If she's to that stage in life where change is frustrating to tears (and she
    doesn't have to be all that old for that), she may be better off with a new XP machine. Here are a few choices from
    Amazon:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3nqfoko

    On the other hand, she may be thrilled with the new look of Solitaire and FreeCell. I know I like them better :)
    --
    SC Tom
    SC Tom, Sep 28, 2011
  4. Daave

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:58:56 -0400, "Daave" <> wrote:

    > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing. She would like a more modern PC.

    Why? It seems to me that, considering her light use, what she has is
    just fine, and she shouldn't go through all the trouble of learning
    and getting accustomed to a new version of Windows. For many people,
    that's a giant problem.

    > She doesn't even want a new monitor.
    >
    > She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    > Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >
    > Inspiron 570 for $350

    It's $299

    > Inspiron 620 for $500

    It's $450

    > I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    > circles around what she currently has.

    Very likely. But again, considering what she uses it for, she'd
    probably never notice the difference in speed.

    > But I'd like to know more about
    > certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    > perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    > installation DVDs these days?

    None of them, as far as I know. Instead they all provide a recovery
    partition, and instructions to copy its contents to a DVD.

    > Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    > (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    > she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    > genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    > users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    > me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    > program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)

    Most, but not all, XP-era programs will run on Windows 7. Check this
    one at www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility

    And if it's not compatible, she should consider getting a newer
    version of it instead of Windows 7 Professional. It's highly unlikely
    that she would otherwise need Professional instead of Home Premium,
    and a new version may cost about the same as the Professional upgrade
    or maybe even less.
    Ken Blake, Sep 28, 2011
  5. Daave

    Paul Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    > a new monitor.
    >
    > She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    > Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >
    > Inspiron 570 for $350
    > Inspiron 620 for $500
    >
    > I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    > circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about
    > certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    > perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    > installation DVDs these days?
    >
    > Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    > (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    > she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    > genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    > users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    > me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    > program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >
    > TIA.

    It's too bad there wasn't some way to just change out the motherboard
    on her PC and update it that way. Because the WinXP she's got is
    probably good enough. From an OS perspective, she's not missing
    anything.

    If not, I'd do two things, based on my experience here with my
    single core laptop with 2.5" regular hard drive. First one would be
    "don't skimp on hardware". Get a decent processor for the machine.
    (The 620 has a quad core for example. One core can be wasted doing
    AV scans. One core can be wasted doing indexing. If you're lucky,
    after all "software taxes" are paid, leaving one core to do
    some actual end-user work.) Second is, replace the hard drive with an SSD,
    for a boot drive. That will make Windows 7's fascination with the
    hard drive (a hard drive fetish) easier to put up with. A three hour
    Indexing session will only take... two point nine hours :)

    (About 10 of 200 people unhappy with their purchase) 64GB SSD $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

    The reason I'm a bit pissed right now, is I just installed VirtualPC
    for Windows 7 on the Windows 7 laptop, tried to get it to boot a
    guess OS, and the machine froze for 30 seconds at a time. If this
    is the vaunted "improvements in multitasking" the fanboys talk
    about, I'm not impressed. I saw this kinda crap (freezeups) in Windows 98.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 28, 2011
  6. In message <j5u7a4$kvo$>, Paul in Houston TX
    <> writes:
    >Daave wrote:
    >> A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has
    >>XP Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and
    >>occasional word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She

    As another has asked, is there a specific reason? I recently was
    involved in just such an upgrade (though little old lady conveys the
    wrong impression: though this person is little - tiny in fact - and
    seventysomething, she's extremely full of beans!), and the reason was a
    slight feeling that her old machine (I think it was a 700 MHz) wasn't
    quite cutting the mustard (and I think she was right there), plus a
    slight desire to be able to use Skype (which her old one had had severe
    problems with).

    >>doesn't even want a new monitor.
    >> She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences
    >>with Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >> Inspiron 570 for $350
    >> Inspiron 620 for $500
    >> I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    >>circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about

    Well, I've always thought of them as somewhat overpriced, but then there
    is the good reputation behind it - and it may not matter that much,
    since she's probably going to not purchase another PC for a long time if
    ever. But one of the small-format ones - hp and Acer for example - might
    suit better (though see below).

    >>certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    >>perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    >>installation DVDs these days?

    (Probably none; most either have a recovery partition [part of the HD
    kept for this], or instruct you to _make_ recovery DVDs, or both.) I
    suspect that any but the lowest-powered netbook (and probably even
    those) will be more than powerful enough for anything she's likely to
    want. I'm guessing she's not a gamer (in the usual sense - I'm not
    counting solitaire and the like!), so the only thing that I can think of
    that she's likely to do that is at all resource-intensive is to do with
    video: use YouTube, or view the odd video that someone might email her.
    Worth quizzing her about such things - including taking her a few sample
    files. But I think it's _unlikely_ that _anything_ new (or even
    second-hand if less than about 15 months old, provided it's got enough
    RAM and has had 7 properly installed/upgraded) won't be more than
    capable of anything she might want to do.

    >>Pro (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any

    I'd probably not recommend that, unless you find that there really is
    something that will only run on XP that there really isn't a new version
    of (or where the new version is radically different). Although many will
    say it's not that relevant, I'd say it is worth (for her) changing to 7:
    in practice once inside applications, which is where she'll spend most
    of her time, she won't see _much_ difference, and it is a more
    future-proof thing to do. (You don't saw what word-processing app. she
    uses: FWIW, Office 2003 seems to work fine under 7.)

    Parts/specs: probably at least 2G RAM; HD - the OS itself plus
    applications needs 30-40G to give a reasonable futureproofing buffer,
    but you won't get anything less than 160G these days, usually 250G or
    more. Processor I'm not qualified to say (the one we eventually got for
    our LOL was powerful), but I'd say anything with two or more cores is
    more than adequate, with some of the single-core ones maybe so.

    >>old apps she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is
    >>some genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps
    >>other users of this program once I find out what it is might be able
    >>to tell me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for
    >>an old program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)

    Fairly, unless it's DOS (such as Brother's Keeper 5 [current version is
    6.5.1 and is fine]). Genealogy software does benefit from modern
    changes, actually: modern versions, if it is necessary to upgrade (which
    it probably won't be), do things like handling of pictures, and
    producing charts, a lot better. I hate myself for saying this, because I
    know I'm suggesting more changes/upgrades, and I hate people who do
    this! As another has asked, how good is she - and willing - to take to
    new things? There again, I'd strongly suggest (to her) getting into an
    XP-compatible email prog., rather than running under XP emulation. [If
    by any chance her old one was/is Eudora, there's a version called Eudora
    OSE which is really Thunderbird made to look somewhat like Eudora; our
    LOL managed the transition to that reasonably easily.]

    >> TIA.

    >Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.

    This is what we did.

    >Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    >built in webcam, etc.
    >I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    >It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    >frys.com
    >microcenter.com

    You could point out (and show) that her existing monitor (and keyboard
    and mouse if USB, or replacements if not) could be used with it, with
    the added bonus that she _can_ move away from her old workstation area -
    including taking it completely away, e. g. to visit friends ("you can
    show them pictures") - if she wants. That's for a small laptop. We
    actually got a 17", 4G, 500G, home premium 32; Margaret isn't
    (obviously, that size!) intending to carry it around much, but can use
    it in her dining room, conservatory, or elsewhere, rather than being
    stuck in the hall as she was.

    (Details - it is IIRR a Toshiba, multicore processor; I got it, via
    Ebay, second-hand - just over a year old, had been upgraded from Vista
    but the seller included the proper full upgrade pack, and authorised it
    in front of me [he'd just done the upgrade] - from someone local to me,
    for 250 pounds, which is a good price for UK. She's very pleased with
    it.)

    For the other end of portability, but to be used with her existing
    monitor (and a proper keyboard and possibly mouse), a netbook might be
    ideal, though a USB DVD drive is probably worth adding. Or one of the
    tiny boxes, though not having a screen/keyboard you lose the portability
    option. (Netbook plus DVD drive probably comes out not that different in
    price from bottom-end conventional laptop.)

    _Probably_ avoid "starter edition"; I haven't experienced it, so can't
    comment, but I get the feeling it is excessively limited.
    --
    J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

    Everything you've learned in school as `obvious' becomes less and less obvious
    as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the
    universe. There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute
    continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
    -R. Buckminster Fuller, engineer, designer, and architect (1895-1983)
    J. P. Gilliver (John), Sep 28, 2011
  7. Daave

    dg1261 Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in news:j5tv0u$dhp$:

    > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    > a new monitor.

    As others have said, the old PC may still be suitable for her. One
    advantage is she won't have to learn a new OS or new programs--which is
    often more important to older folks than newer, flashier, and speedier.

    You didn't say which model, but I'll guess it's possibly something like a
    Dimension 4300-4400. Many of those came with 256-384MB of ram. Upgrade it
    to 1GB+ of ram, wipe the hdd and do a clean install, and she'll be amazed
    at how much faster it runs.
    dg1261, Sep 28, 2011
  8. On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:14:00 -0400, Paul wrote:

    > Daave wrote:
    >> A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    >> Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    >> word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    >> a new monitor.
    >>
    >> She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    >> Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >>
    >> Inspiron 570 for $350
    >> Inspiron 620 for $500
    >>
    >> I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    >> circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about
    >> certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    >> perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    >> installation DVDs these days?
    >>
    >> Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    >> (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    >> she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    >> genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    >> users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    >> me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    >> program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > It's too bad there wasn't some way to just change out the motherboard
    > on her PC and update it that way. Because the WinXP she's got is
    > probably good enough. From an OS perspective, she's not missing
    > anything.
    >
    > If not, I'd do two things, based on my experience here with my
    > single core laptop with 2.5" regular hard drive. First one would be
    > "don't skimp on hardware". Get a decent processor for the machine.
    > (The 620 has a quad core for example. One core can be wasted doing
    > AV scans. One core can be wasted doing indexing. If you're lucky,
    > after all "software taxes" are paid, leaving one core to do
    > some actual end-user work.) Second is, replace the hard drive with an SSD,
    > for a boot drive. That will make Windows 7's fascination with the
    > hard drive (a hard drive fetish) easier to put up with. A three hour
    > Indexing session will only take... two point nine hours :)
    >
    > (About 10 of 200 people unhappy with their purchase) 64GB SSD $110
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441
    >
    > The reason I'm a bit pissed right now, is I just installed VirtualPC
    > for Windows 7 on the Windows 7 laptop, tried to get it to boot a
    > guess OS, and the machine froze for 30 seconds at a time. If this
    > is the vaunted "improvements in multitasking" the fanboys talk
    > about, I'm not impressed. I saw this kinda crap (freezeups) in Windows 98.
    >
    > Paul

    I don't get freezes like that from VMware, but XP mode seemed sluggish
    to me on occasion.

    I gave up on XP mode a while ago, so I can offer no meaningful details,
    sorry.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
    Gene E. Bloch, Sep 28, 2011
  9. Daave

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Sep 28, 3:32 pm, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
    <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > Everything you've learned in school as `obvious' becomes less and less obvious
    > as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the
    > universe. There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute
    > continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
    > -R. Buckminster Fuller, engineer, designer, and architect (1895-1983)

    Good God man...lay-off the caffeine!
    Bob_Villa, Sep 29, 2011
  10. Daave

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:15:54 +0000 (UTC), dg1261
    <> wrote:

    > "Daave" <> wrote in news:j5tv0u$dhp$:
    >
    > > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > > word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    > > a new monitor.

    > As others have said, the old PC may still be suitable for her. One
    > advantage is she won't have to learn a new OS or new programs--which is
    > often more important to older folks than newer, flashier, and speedier.

    Yes, almost exactly what I said earlier.

    > You didn't say which model, but I'll guess it's possibly something like a
    > Dimension 4300-4400. Many of those came with 256-384MB of ram. Upgrade it
    > to 1GB+ of ram, wipe the hdd and do a clean install, and she'll be amazed
    > at how much faster it runs.

    But I disagree with that, strongly. How much RAM you need for good
    performance (in any version of Windows) depends on what apps you run.
    Since she does hardly anything but general Web browsing and occasional
    word processing, it's very unlikely that adding RAM will make any
    discernable difference.

    And doing a clean installation is hardly ever necessary, and often
    causes lots of problems. You have to restore all your data backups,
    you have to reinstall all your programs, you have to reinstall all the
    Windows and application updates, you have to locate and install all
    the needed drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows
    and all your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome, you may
    have trouble with some of them: can you find all your application CDs?
    Can you find all the needed installation codes? Do you have data
    backups to restore? Do you even remember all the customizations and
    tweaks you may have installed to make everything work the way you
    like?
    Ken Blake, Sep 29, 2011
  11. On 9/27/2011 9:58 PM, Daave wrote:
    > A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has XP
    > Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She doesn't even want
    > a new monitor.
    >
    > She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    > Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >
    > Inspiron 570 for $350
    > Inspiron 620 for $500
    >
    > I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    > circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more about
    > certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality (and
    > perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged Windows OS
    > installation DVDs these days?
    >
    > Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    > (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old apps
    > she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    > genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    > users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to tell
    > me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an old
    > program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >
    > TIA.

    no cross posting please.

    i think that the $349 inspiron 570* with the amd anthlon ii x2 245 (or
    better) is a good basic machine and one of the only machines that you
    can order from dell wihtout a monitor. however a new monitor for well
    under $200 would greatly improve the computing experiance. not just
    becuase of the increased size but because monitors today are much
    brighter and more contrasty than old monitors were on their best day.
    wide perspective monitors under 22" are actually smaller in height than
    a 17" traditional square monitors making them actually a downgrade to a
    traditional 17".

    i would not consider the $299 inspiron 570 with the sempron processor.

    you might also consider the $349 inspiron 560 with intel e6700 processor
    if you are partial to intel over amd. this machine is roughly identical
    in performance to the inspiron 570 with amd 245 but the integrated
    graphics in the 560 is not as good as that in the 570. the only real
    advantage one might argue that the $349 inspiron 560 has over the
    inspiron 570 is that it includes the 15 month subscription to mcafee
    antivirus (something that i assign negitive value as i am no fan of
    mcafee), and there are those that believe that intel based machine are
    generally more reliable and stable than amd (something that i do not
    believe - a reputation amd machines have aquired as they were often home
    built systems that were over clocked to run well beyond speification
    which can lead to instability).

    the $449 inspiron 620** with i3-2100 for $100 more would be a good
    choice too but the fact is that it is 30% more money and unless she is
    doing things that are processor intensive (read games) it will not feel
    much faster than the inspiron 570 with the 245 processor. yes, despite
    the processor that is more than twice as fast, and better graphics
    'card' of the inspiron 620 it will not seem remarkably faster. to open
    internet explorer means reading it from the hard disk and these two
    machines have the same make/model hard disk.

    it doesn't sound like a laptop is an appropriate choice. you will pay
    more for a laptop, get less performance, and have a much smaller screen.
    plus laptops are way more vulnerable than a desktop (spills, theft,
    being dropped, etc) and essentially require you to pay for an extended
    warranty or face a possible costly repair that would not make economic
    sense (repairs can cost more than replacement machines).

    as for software compatibility you are correct that only windows 7
    profession, enterprise, or ultimate will run xp mode. but you may find
    that the old program works fine as is. if it from the windows 98, 95,
    or 3.1 days then you are probably going to be out of luck. why not try
    installing the software on another machine to see if it works before
    wasting money on windows 7 professional?

    * antholn ii x2 245 (passmark 1659), 4gb, 500gb, dvdrw, radeon hd4200

    ** i3-2100 (passmark 3843), 4gb, 500gb, dvdrw, intel hd graphics
    Christopher Muto, Sep 29, 2011
  12. Daave

    dg1261 Guest

    Ken Blake <> wrote in

    > But I disagree with that, strongly. How much RAM you need for good
    > performance (in any version of Windows) depends on what apps you run.
    > Since she does hardly anything but general Web browsing and occasional
    > word processing, it's very unlikely that adding RAM will make any
    > discernable difference.
    >
    > And doing a clean installation is hardly ever necessary, and often
    > causes lots of problems. You have to restore all your data backups,
    > you have to reinstall all your programs, you have to reinstall all the
    > Windows and application updates, you have to locate and install all
    > the needed drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows
    > and all your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Boy, so wrong on so many levels.
    dg1261, Sep 29, 2011
  13. Daave

    Jan Alter Guest

    "dg1261" <> wrote in message
    > Ken Blake <> wrote in
    >
    >> But I disagree with that, strongly. How much RAM you need for good
    >> performance (in any version of Windows) depends on what apps you run.
    >> Since she does hardly anything but general Web browsing and occasional
    >> word processing, it's very unlikely that adding RAM will make any
    >> discernable difference.
    >>
    >> And doing a clean installation is hardly ever necessary, and often
    >> causes lots of problems. You have to restore all your data backups,
    >> you have to reinstall all your programs, you have to reinstall all the
    >> Windows and application updates, you have to locate and install all
    >> the needed drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows
    >> and all your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    > Boy, so wrong on so many levels.

    I agree about doing clean installations from time to time. Having resorted
    over the years of fresh installs of systems that have been untouched for
    several years allows one to usually get a much speedier boot-up and faster
    operating computer. However, what is equally important is that it gives the
    user the opportunity to take stock of what he/she wants on the machine and
    let go of programs and orphaned files that have been taking up memory,
    space, and settings in the OS that make things inefficient. Simply put; one
    is doing housekeeping, and though drudgery and taking time is worth the
    effort.
    I can see issues sometimes in reconfiguring a piece of hardware that
    doesn't play right with the OS unless it's specifically set, but if one is
    thoughtful of recording them first before the reinstallation of the OS it
    becomes a moot point. And true one has to find their program CDs and
    drivers, but that would be true if there were a system crash as well or
    other unintended disaster, which actually seems quite commonplace within 3
    or 4 years.

    --
    Jan Alter
    Jan Alter, Sep 29, 2011
  14. Daave

    Boris Guest

    Paul in Houston TX <> wrote in

    > Daave wrote:
    >> A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has
    >> XP Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and
    >> occasional word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She
    >> doesn't even want a new monitor.
    >>
    >> She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    >> Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >>
    >> Inspiron 570 for $350
    >> Inspiron 620 for $500
    >>
    >> I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    >> circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more
    >> about certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality
    >> (and perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged
    >> Windows OS installation DVDs these days?
    >>
    >> Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    >> (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old
    >> apps she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    >> genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    >> users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to
    >> tell me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an
    >> old program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.
    > Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    > built in webcam, etc.
    > I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    > It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    > frys.com
    > microcenter.com

    My experience placing laptops with older users is that the native
    resolution is just too small for older eyes. I'd stick with a desktop
    style monitor. YMMV.
    Boris, Sep 29, 2011
  15. Daave

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Sep 29, 8:21 am, "Jan Alter" <> wrote:
    > "dg1261" <> wrote in message

    > > Ken Blake <> wrote in

    > >> But I disagree with that, strongly. How much RAM you need for good
    > >> performance (in any version of Windows) depends on what apps you run.
    > >> Since she does hardly anything but general Web browsing and occasional
    > >> word processing, it's very unlikely that adding RAM will make any
    > >> discernable difference.

    > >> And doing a clean installation is hardly ever necessary, and often
    > >> causes lots of problems. You have to restore all your data backups,
    > >> you have to reinstall all your programs, you have to reinstall all the
    > >> Windows and application updates, you have to locate and install all
    > >> the needed drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows
    > >> and all your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    > > Boy, so wrong on so many levels.

    > I agree about doing clean installations from time to time. Having resorted
    > over the years of fresh installs of systems that have been untouched for
    > several years allows one to usually get a much speedier boot-up and faster
    > operating computer. However, what is equally important is that it gives the
    > user the opportunity to take stock of what he/she wants on the machine and
    > let go of programs and orphaned files that have been taking up memory,
    > space, and settings in the OS that make things inefficient. Simply put; one
    > is doing housekeeping, and though drudgery and taking time is worth the
    > effort.
    >    I can see issues sometimes in reconfiguring  a piece of hardwarethat
    > doesn't play right with the OS unless it's specifically set, but if one is
    > thoughtful of recording them first before the reinstallation of the OS it
    > becomes a moot point. And true one has to find their program CDs and
    > drivers, but that would be true if there were a system crash as well or
    > other unintended disaster, which actually seems quite commonplace within 3
    > or 4 years.
    >
    > --
    > Jan Alter

    Jan...nice to see you here! I believe you are the expert in Epson
    printers (as I recall) from years back!
    Good to have your input.
    Bob_Villa, Sep 29, 2011
  16. Daave

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Sep 29, 9:50 am, Bob_Villa <> wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 8:21 am, "Jan Alter" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "dg1261" <> wrote in message

    > > > Ken Blake <> wrote in

    > > > Boy, so wrong on so many levels.

    > > I agree about doing clean installations from time to time. Having resorted
    > > over the years of fresh installs of systems that have been untouched for
    > > several years allows one to usually get a much speedier boot-up and faster
    > > operating computer. However, what is equally important is that it givesthe
    > > user the opportunity to take stock of what he/she wants on the machine and
    > > let go of programs and orphaned files that have been taking up memory,
    > > space, and settings in the OS that make things inefficient. Simply put;one
    > > is doing housekeeping, and though drudgery and taking time is worth the
    > > effort.
    > >    I can see issues sometimes in reconfiguring  a piece of hardware that
    > > doesn't play right with the OS unless it's specifically set, but if oneis
    > > thoughtful of recording them first before the reinstallation of the OS it
    > > becomes a moot point. And true one has to find their program CDs and
    > > drivers, but that would be true if there were a system crash as well or
    > > other unintended disaster, which actually seems quite commonplace within 3
    > > or 4 years.

    > > --
    > > Jan Alter
    > >

    > Jan...nice to see you here!  I believe you are the expert in Epson
    > printers (as I recall) from years back!
    > Good to have your input.

    Maybe I'm seeing you here because of cross-posting. Sorry.
    Bob_Villa, Sep 29, 2011
  17. Daave

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:43:05 +0000 (UTC), Boris <>
    wrote:

    >Paul in Houston TX <> wrote in
    >
    >> Daave wrote:
    >>> A little old lady I know has a PC that's about nine years old (it has
    >>> XP Home). She basically uses it for general Web browsing and
    >>> occasional word processing. She would like a more modern PC. She
    >>> doesn't even want a new monitor.
    >>>
    >>> She asked me to recommend one. Since I have had good experiences with
    >>> Dells, I went to their site and found these PCs on sale:
    >>>
    >>> Inspiron 570 for $350
    >>> Inspiron 620 for $500
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking for how she will use it, that the 570 will still run
    >>> circles around what she currently has. But I'd like to know more
    >>> about certain parts/specs I should consider with respect to quality
    >>> (and perhaps other brands of PCs). Which OEMs issue full-fledged
    >>> Windows OS installation DVDs these days?
    >>>
    >>> Lastly, I know that if she goes with the more expensive Windows 7 Pro
    >>> (instead of Home), she can run a virtual XP environment for any old
    >>> apps she has. I'm pretty sure the only really old app she has is some
    >>> genealogy program. I'll ask her the name and version. Perhaps other
    >>> users of this program once I find out what it is might be able to
    >>> tell me if it might even run on Windows 7. (How common is it for an
    >>> old program to be able to run on a much newer OS?)
    >>>
    >>> TIA.

    >> Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.
    >> Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    >> built in webcam, etc.
    >> I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    >> It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    >> frys.com
    >> microcenter.com

    >My experience placing laptops with older users is that the native
    >resolution is just too small for older eyes. I'd stick with a desktop
    >style monitor. YMMV.

    You do know tho Windows has a magnifier built in.
    RnR, Sep 29, 2011
  18. Daave

    Boris Guest

    "RnR" <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:43:05 +0000 (UTC), Boris <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Paul in Houston TX <> wrote in

    >>> Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.
    >>> Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    >>> built in webcam, etc.
    >>> I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    >>> It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    >>> frys.com
    >>> microcenter.com

    >>My experience placing laptops with older users is that the native
    >>resolution is just too small for older eyes. I'd stick with a desktop
    >>style monitor. YMMV.

    > You do know tho Windows has a magnifier built in.

    Yep.
    Boris, Sep 29, 2011
  19. Daave

    choro Guest

    On 29/09/2011 17:33, RnR wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:43:05 +0000 (UTC), Boris<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Paul in Houston TX<> wrote in

    >>> Consider getting a laptop. It may be ideal for her.
    >>> Small, lightweight, portable, wireless, bluetooth,
    >>> built in webcam, etc.
    >>> I like my Lenovo T410 for work and email programs.
    >>> It is great for that but it is terrible for gaming.
    >>> frys.com
    >>> microcenter.com

    >> My experience placing laptops with older users is that the native
    >> resolution is just too small for older eyes. I'd stick with a desktop
    >> style monitor. YMMV.

    > You do know tho Windows has a magnifier built in.

    Yeah, a crappy little magnifier that is guaranteed to be too complex to
    use for people needing it.
    -- choro --
    choro, Sep 29, 2011
  20. Daave

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:51:34 +0100, choro <> wrote:

    >On 29/09/2011 17:33, RnR wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:43:05 +0000 (UTC), Boris<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Paul in Houston TX<> wrote in

    >>> My experience placing laptops with older users is that the native
    >>> resolution is just too small for older eyes. I'd stick with a desktop
    >>> style monitor. YMMV.

    >> You do know tho Windows has a magnifier built in.

    >Yeah, a crappy little magnifier that is guaranteed to be too complex to
    >use for people needing it.
    >-- choro --

    Crappy maybe but complex, I don't agree.
    RnR, Sep 29, 2011