Seeking compatible RAM for system

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bill, Dec 3, 2009.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
    Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
    excellent RAM. I will not overclock.

    I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
    maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
    than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this to
    be true or not).

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
    10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

    I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
    more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important, and
    reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number of
    years (passing them down...).

    Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that you
    have confidence with?

    Thank you for considering my questions!
    Bill

    Bill, Dec 3, 2009

  2. Bill

    peter Guest

    I have confidence in G.Skill Ram.
    Had some running on an older socket 939 mobo for about 2 years.
    Sat on the shelf for another year and then put the unit back together
    to give to someone...been running without problems for another year so far.

    Looking at buying almost the same setup except want the Ripjaw 1600 Ram.
    Good Value for the money with a little headroom left for OC'ing.
    The 860 chip has build in memory controller which limits the voltage to 1.65
    So your under that limit and still have room to OC slightly.

    peter

    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    peter, Dec 3, 2009

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    >I have confidence in G.Skill Ram.
    > Had some running on an older socket 939 mobo for about 2 years.
    > Sat on the shelf for another year and then put the unit back together
    > to give to someone...been running without problems for another year so
    > far.
    >
    > Looking at buying almost the same setup except want the Ripjaw 1600 Ram.
    > Good Value for the money with a little headroom left for OC'ing.
    > The 860 chip has build in memory controller which limits the voltage to
    > 1.65
    > So your under that limit and still have room to OC slightly.
    >
    > peter

    Thank you for mentioning that about the 1.65 volts for the CPU--that maybe
    very helpful information.
    I don't have much overclocking knowledge: do you anticipate running an
    Intel-860 with memory speed
    close to 1600 (I saw that memory for the chip is stated at 1333 at
    intel.com)? If so, do you use extra
    cooling? Just curious. -Bill

    Bill, Dec 3, 2009
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
    >Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
    >excellent RAM. I will not overclock.

    A related question: When I choose "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS,
    will the motherboard be able to figure out whether RAM expects 1.5v, 1.55v
    or something else?

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill, Dec 3, 2009
  5. Bill

    Paul Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
    > Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
    > excellent RAM. I will not overclock.
    >
    > I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
    > maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
    > than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this to
    > be true or not).
    >
    > G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
    > 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
    >
    > I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
    > more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important, and
    > reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number of
    > years (passing them down...).
    >
    > Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that you
    > have confidence with?
    >
    > Thank you for considering my questions!
    > Bill

    Check the reviews before you buy. I usually look for DOA data, to get
    some idea whether a product is worth having or not. There are 23 reviews
    here right now for the F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

    The JEDEC memory standards in the past, have not considered the voltage
    rating for RAM. And the reason for that, is they assume just one
    operating voltage as valid. Like the 1.5V you mention. Boosting
    the voltage is a foreign concept to JEDEC. They would sooner
    give a nominal rating, like 1.5V +/- some tolerance. They would
    feel uncomfortable stating the value is 1.5V all the way up to
    1.9V or whatever. Normally, they pick a single value as a target
    for all chip manufacturers to meet. A low voltage is selected,
    to encourage power savings from one generation to the next.

    There are at least a couple of optional standards for SPD on the DIMM.
    They may enhance the reocrded info, by recording the operating voltage
    to be used. If your motherboard BIOS supports such a standard,
    then "Auto" would automatically consider the recorded voltage value.
    Otherwise, the user is expected to set up the peak setting manually
    for getting their RAM to the rated speed. If your BIOS doesn't support
    those standards, then you're expected to apply the rated settings
    yourself.

    Nvidia/Corsairmicro EPP pseudo-standard

    http://www.simmtester.com/page/news/showpubnews.asp?num=151

    Intel XMP DDR3 extreme memory profile

    http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/319124.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 3, 2009
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Dec 3, 2009
  7. Bill

    peter Guest

    Yes I use an aftermarket CPU heatsink..matter of fact I am still
    researching aftermarket coolers as my favorite cooler company
    is just now coming out with products for that chipset....Thermalright.

    At the present time it seems the Noctua NH-D14 would be the one to buy.
    I don't go into extreme OC'ing but I want to be sure it runs cool.
    Heat Kills

    peter, Dec 3, 2009