Semi-OT: No video with BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 after installing driver...

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Cory Dunkle, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Cory Dunkle

    Cory Dunkle Guest

    I'm building a compuer with the M7NCG 400 v7.0 motherboard, using latest
    BIOS. The display works fine until I install the nVidia video drivers. After
    installing the drivers and rebooting, once it enters Windows (2000) and
    loads up the display driver (after the white loading Windows screen) the
    screen turns black and tehre is no output from the video port on the
    motherboard (no signal). Also, loading windows in VGA mode will display, as
    the video driver is not loaded.

    The machine continues to run fine, just with no output from the video. I
    have loaded WinVNC on the computer and I can VNC into it. When going inot
    the properties of the driver I see on the output list the selection for
    monitor is greyed out. It is on TV output, whihc is the only one that can be
    selected. There is no TV out port on this motherboard, and it came with no
    port to plug in to use the TV out functionality. So for no reason should it
    be detecting a TV to output to.

    Anyhow, I've tried several different drivers. The one that came with the
    motherboaard, the one on BIOSTAR US site, the one on BIOSTAR Taiwan site,
    and the latest nVidia drivers. All do the same thing.

    Does anyone know how I might get the video on this board to work?

    Other specs are:
    Athlon XP (Barton) 2600+
    (2x) Corsair VS256MB400 256MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5
    Smart Power SL350 (350 watt)
    WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM HDD w/ 8 MB cache
    Liteon LTR-52327 / SOHR-5238S 52x32x52
    Sony DDU1613 16X IDE DVD-ROM
    Sony FD MPF9201121-1/MPF920-Z (Z/121) 6082 1.44MB 3.5in FDD
    Antec SLK1650B Mini Tower Case

    Cory Dunkle, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Cory Dunkle

    ProudPapa Guest

    "Cory Dunkle" <> wrote in message
    | I'm building a compuer with the M7NCG 400 v7.0 motherboard, using latest
    | BIOS. The display works fine until I install the nVidia video drivers.
    After
    | installing the drivers and rebooting, once it enters Windows (2000) and
    | loads up the display driver (after the white loading Windows screen) the
    | screen turns black and tehre is no output from the video port on the
    | motherboard (no signal). Also, loading windows in VGA mode will display,
    as
    | the video driver is not loaded.
    |
    | The machine continues to run fine, just with no output from the video. I
    | have loaded WinVNC on the computer and I can VNC into it. When going inot
    | the properties of the driver I see on the output list the selection for
    | monitor is greyed out. It is on TV output, whihc is the only one that can
    be
    | selected. There is no TV out port on this motherboard, and it came with no
    | port to plug in to use the TV out functionality. So for no reason should
    it
    | be detecting a TV to output to.
    |
    | Anyhow, I've tried several different drivers. The one that came with the
    | motherboaard, the one on BIOSTAR US site, the one on BIOSTAR Taiwan site,
    | and the latest nVidia drivers. All do the same thing.
    |
    | Does anyone know how I might get the video on this board to work?
    |
    | Other specs are:
    | Athlon XP (Barton) 2600+
    | (2x) Corsair VS256MB400 256MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5
    | Smart Power SL350 (350 watt)
    | WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM HDD w/ 8 MB cache
    | Liteon LTR-52327 / SOHR-5238S 52x32x52
    | Sony DDU1613 16X IDE DVD-ROM
    | Sony FD MPF9201121-1/MPF920-Z (Z/121) 6082 1.44MB 3.5in FDD
    | Antec SLK1650B Mini Tower Case

    Try switching your memory to PC2700 if possible to test your memory
    compatibility. This board is extremely finicky with memory when using the
    on-board video. I ordered this same board with Kingmax memory (PC3200) and
    had problems such as yours, switched to biostar's recommended Kingmax PC2700
    and the problems went away. So then my son ordered the same board with the
    same memory that worked in mine and he had video problems, so Biostar told
    him to get Kingston value ram PC2700 (their other recommended brand). He
    still had video problems. He then bought some generic PC2700 ram from the
    local computer dealer and it worked. Biostar says The latest BIOS fixed the
    problem with PC3200 compatibility but not so with the memory brands that we
    used. It may be possible to adjust your bios settings and get yours to work,
    I fiddled with mine for several hours with no luck, but I'm not smart enough
    to know what all of those settings mean. Maybe Wes Newell (computer god) can
    help you out with the settings. To be honest with you, these boards are now
    rock solid but I would never buy another. It's not worth the hassle.
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=M7NCG 400
    does NOT list DDR 400 (PC3200) as compatible and although many have had
    success using it, most of these people are using an AGP video card.

    ProudPapa, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Cory Dunkle

    Cory Dunkle Guest

    "ProudPapa" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    the
    > problem with PC3200 compatibility but not so with the memory brands that

    we
    > used. It may be possible to adjust your bios settings and get yours to

    work,
    > I fiddled with mine for several hours with no luck, but I'm not smart

    enough
    > to know what all of those settings mean. Maybe Wes Newell (computer god)

    can
    > help you out with the settings. To be honest with you, these boards are

    now
    > rock solid but I would never buy another. It's not worth the hassle.
    > http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=M7NCG 400
    > does NOT list DDR 400 (PC3200) as compatible and although many have had
    > success using it, most of these people are using an AGP video card.

    Since my original post I ahve tried a few different sticks of memory. I
    believe it was all PC2700. A few different brands. Corsair (best RAM IMO, I
    always buy the high end corsair RAM for my own systems and and high end
    systems I build, lower end systems get the slower Corsair RAM), also
    Kingston, and two generic no-name sticks. Same problem with each stick. Also
    with each stick I tried different memory timings, significantly slower than
    what the memory was rated at. This has no affect on the video problem.

    BIOSTAR is of no help in the matter. The dumbf**ks first sent me a response
    to my help inquiry saying to try different RAM, that PC3200 wasn't supported
    though sometimes worked. I responded that I had since tried that. They
    responded today, and I quote: "This is very strange, have you tried a
    different operating system like Windows XP?".

    As you can imagine that makes me very angry. I responded, for the seocnd
    time asking them to call me ASAP, any time of day or night, 24/7, on ym cell
    phone to work out what the problem is, if the solution is software/driver, a
    repolacement M7NCG 400, or if it is a different motherboard. I hate how the
    only phone number I can find to contact them no one ever is at, and all I
    get is a machine. I'm royally pissed and will never _EVER_ buy another
    BIOSTAR product again. I had trouble with one of their boards, and their
    service years back on an old Pentium board. I heard good reviews about this
    board so I figured I'd give them a try. Big mistake. BIOSTAR makes a
    half-a**ed product and much worse, won't even support their shoddily made
    product. Never again...

    Anyhow, if you have any other ideas I'm open to anything. I think today I'll
    try once more to contact BIOSTAR and if I don't get any answers by tomorrow
    I'll see if I can send the board back to the place I ordered it from.
    Unfortunately that will mean sending it back to CA (I'm in NJ), will cost
    _ME_ money for shipping, and the guy I'm building it for will be displeased
    that he has to wait that much longer, which is something I've been trying to
    avoid!

    Cory

    Cory Dunkle, Oct 28, 2004
  4. > Since my original post I ahve tried a few different sticks of memory. I
    > believe it was all PC2700. A few different brands. Corsair (best RAM IMO,

    > always buy the high end corsair RAM for my own systems and and high end
    > systems I build, lower end systems get the slower Corsair RAM), also
    > Kingston, and two generic no-name sticks. Same problem with each stick.

    Also
    > with each stick I tried different memory timings, significantly slower

    than
    > what the memory was rated at. This has no affect on the video problem.
    >
    > BIOSTAR is of no help in the matter. The dumbf**ks first sent me a

    response
    > to my help inquiry saying to try different RAM, that PC3200 wasn't

    supported
    > though sometimes worked. I responded that I had since tried that. They
    > responded today, and I quote: "This is very strange, have you tried a
    > different operating system like Windows XP?".
    >
    > As you can imagine that makes me very angry. I responded, for the seocnd
    > time asking them to call me ASAP, any time of day or night, 24/7, on ym

    cell
    > phone to work out what the problem is, if the solution is software/driver,

    > repolacement M7NCG 400, or if it is a different motherboard. I hate how

    the
    > only phone number I can find to contact them no one ever is at, and all I
    > get is a machine. I'm royally pissed and will never _EVER_ buy another
    > BIOSTAR product again. I had trouble with one of their boards, and their
    > service years back on an old Pentium board. I heard good reviews about

    this
    > board so I figured I'd give them a try. Big mistake. BIOSTAR makes a
    > half-a**ed product and much worse, won't even support their shoddily made
    > product. Never again...
    >
    > Anyhow, if you have any other ideas I'm open to anything. I think today

    I'll
    > try once more to contact BIOSTAR and if I don't get any answers by

    tomorrow
    > I'll see if I can send the board back to the place I ordered it from.
    > Unfortunately that will mean sending it back to CA (I'm in NJ), will cost
    > _ME_ money for shipping, and the guy I'm building it for will be

    displeased
    > that he has to wait that much longer, which is something I've been trying

    > avoid!
    >
    > Cory

    I've built several dozen computers based on the M7NCG 400 motherboard and
    had the same video problems on the first one as everyone else until (by
    trial and error) I found that Elixir brand PC3200 works with no problems.
    Luckily, I happened to have a half-dozen different brands on hand to play
    with.

    MS4ME.com has Elixir at a good price and ships promptly.
    http://www.ms4me.com/mo25pc4ddrme.html is the direct link for the 256mb
    modules.

    Steve Midgley

    Steve Midgley, Oct 29, 2004