Service manual to dismantle and replace power supply on HP Pavilion ZT3380

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by news.rcn.com, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Does anyone know how to replace a power supply in an HP Pavilion ZT3380
    laptop please?

    The power plug seems to be exceptionally loose and if the computer shuts
    down, you can occasionally get it turned on again by turning the plug around
    in the socket 180 degrees so that something makes contact with something
    again. But I don't think this is the whole story.

    The computer does work as a desktop but once it did shut down overnight for
    no apparent reason and once during use while I was trying to soak-test it
    for this very problem. When it shut down overnight, by the morning, when I
    turned it on, the orange charge light having presumably been on all night,
    it showed 0% charge. Suspicious.

    More importantly it shuts down completely if you accidentally jiggle the
    plug, not going to battery power at all. In addition, when you start it with
    a largely dead battery and then try to plug it in to charge the battery, the
    battery doesn't charge at all. It CAN also show an orange charge light
    overnight when off and by the morning, show no increase in charge: This
    doesn't just seem to be a loose plug!

    I upgraded the BIOS and this seemed to improve things for a very short
    while, with the new BIOS having a battery calibration utility which worked
    once. However, now it wont even charge the System Battery except
    excruciatingly slowly. Isn't the system battery something like a
    rechargeable CR2025? Which should discharge/charge in a few minutes. When
    the battery utility did discharge/recharge the main battery, it did do it in
    around a half an hour.

    We HAVE tried changing the AC adapter in case the problem was with the
    internal wiring of the plug itself and isolated that as not being the issue.

    Someone once referred me to a service manual for my Pavilion 5415 which had
    a similar problem but I cant now find the reference to it (and replacing the
    power supply for the 5415 involved a completely uneconomical taking apart of
    the whole computer down virtually to the last screw!). These internal power
    supplies do occasionally come up on ebay and sell for a few bucks. possibly
    for this reason?

    Hopefully the situation wont be the same for the 3880? Though an alarming
    number of them seem to come up very cheaply at places like Fry's, -
    reconditioned .

    (Incidentally it refers to itself on its screen panel as a ZT3000, on its
    underside as a ZT3300 and on it serial number plate as a ZT3380US)

    news.rcn.com, Sep 3, 2007

  2. news.rcn.com

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to replace a power supply in an HP Pavilion ZT3380
    > laptop please?

    > The power plug seems to be exceptionally loose and if the computer shuts
    > down, you can occasionally get it turned on again by turning the plug around
    > in the socket 180 degrees so that something makes contact with something
    > again. But I don't think this is the whole story.

    > The computer does work as a desktop but once it did shut down overnight for
    > no apparent reason and once during use while I was trying to soak-test it
    > for this very problem. When it shut down overnight, by the morning, when I
    > turned it on, the orange charge light having presumably been on all night,
    > it showed 0% charge. Suspicious.

    > More importantly it shuts down completely if you accidentally jiggle the
    > plug, not going to battery power at all. In addition, when you start it with
    > a largely dead battery and then try to plug it in to charge the battery, the
    > battery doesn't charge at all. It CAN also show an orange charge light
    > overnight when off and by the morning, show no increase in charge: This
    > doesn't just seem to be a loose plug!

    > I upgraded the BIOS and this seemed to improve things for a very short
    > while, with the new BIOS having a battery calibration utility which worked
    > once. However, now it wont even charge the System Battery except
    > excruciatingly slowly. Isn't the system battery something like a
    > rechargeable CR2025? Which should discharge/charge in a few minutes. When
    > the battery utility did discharge/recharge the main battery, it did do it in
    > around a half an hour.

    A CR2025 explodes if you charge it.

    > We HAVE tried changing the AC adapter in case the problem was with the
    > internal wiring of the plug itself and isolated that as not being the issue.

    > Someone once referred me to a service manual for my Pavilion 5415 which had
    > a similar problem but I cant now find the reference to it (and replacing the
    > power supply for the 5415 involved a completely uneconomical taking apart of
    > the whole computer down virtually to the last screw!). These internal power
    > supplies do occasionally come up on ebay and sell for a few bucks. possibly
    > for this reason?

    > Hopefully the situation wont be the same for the 3880? Though an alarming
    > number of them seem to come up very cheaply at places like Fry's, -
    > reconditioned .

    > (Incidentally it refers to itself on its screen panel as a ZT3000, on its
    > underside as a ZT3300 and on it serial number plate as a ZT3380US)

    It may just be a contacrt problem. THese are best tackled with contact
    spary and bending the contact so that is presses firmer on the plug.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 3, 2007

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    "Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc news.rcn.com <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    >> Does anyone know how to replace a power supply in an HP Pavilion ZT3380
    >> laptop please?

    >> The power plug seems to be exceptionally loose and if the computer shuts
    >> down, you can occasionally get it turned on again by turning the plug
    >> around
    >> in the socket 180 degrees so that something makes contact with something
    >> again. But I don't think this is the whole story.

    >> The computer does work as a desktop but once it did shut down overnight
    >> for
    >> no apparent reason and once during use while I was trying to soak-test it
    >> for this very problem. When it shut down overnight, by the morning,
    >> when I
    >> turned it on, the orange charge light having presumably been on all
    >> night,
    >> it showed 0% charge. Suspicious.

    >> More importantly it shuts down completely if you accidentally jiggle the
    >> plug, not going to battery power at all. In addition, when you start it
    >> with
    >> a largely dead battery and then try to plug it in to charge the battery,
    >> the
    >> battery doesn't charge at all. It CAN also show an orange charge light
    >> overnight when off and by the morning, show no increase in charge: This
    >> doesn't just seem to be a loose plug!

    >> I upgraded the BIOS and this seemed to improve things for a very short
    >> while, with the new BIOS having a battery calibration utility which
    >> worked
    >> once. However, now it wont even charge the System Battery except
    >> excruciatingly slowly. Isn't the system battery something like a
    >> rechargeable CR2025? Which should discharge/charge in a few minutes.
    >> When
    >> the battery utility did discharge/recharge the main battery, it did do it
    >> in
    >> around a half an hour.

    > A CR2025 explodes if you charge it.

    Yes, I suspected that: So the problem may well be with the CMOS battery
    itself? The utility at first stopped the charging process at 99%.
    Thereafter, it wont get much past about 8-10%. I wonder if this could
    account for the whole problem? (see below)

    Actually when I now go into the BIOS utility, I am not offered the option of
    calibrating the Main Battery any more (I did go through the process of
    recalibrating the main battery, - successfully, - once), just the "system"
    one

    >> We HAVE tried changing the AC adapter in case the problem was with the
    >> internal wiring of the plug itself and isolated that as not being the
    >> issue.

    >> Someone once referred me to a service manual for my Pavilion 5415 which
    >> had
    >> a similar problem but I cant now find the reference to it (and replacing
    >> the
    >> power supply for the 5415 involved a completely uneconomical taking apart
    >> of
    >> the whole computer down virtually to the last screw!). These internal
    >> power
    >> supplies do occasionally come up on ebay and sell for a few bucks.
    >> possibly
    >> for this reason?

    >> Hopefully the situation wont be the same for the 3880? Though an
    >> alarming
    >> number of them seem to come up very cheaply at places like Fry's, -
    >> reconditioned .

    >> (Incidentally it refers to itself on its screen panel as a ZT3000, on its
    >> underside as a ZT3300 and on it serial number plate as a ZT3380US)

    > It may just be a contacrt problem. These are best tackled with contact
    > spary and bending the contact so that is presses firmer on the plug.

    The reason why I included such an amount of detail in what could be a
    contact problem is because MOST OF these symptoms don't seem to point to a
    contact problem. Such as: Why can't it switch from ac to (a fully charged)
    main battery like all other computers when you simply take out the plug? Why
    does it shut down completely when you arent actually doing anything on the
    computer if it is a contact problem? Unless the contacts inside the socket
    are completely burned out, carbonised and pitted, why doesnt it charge the
    battery on re-plug in if it is just a contact problem?

    If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    news.rcn.com, Sep 3, 2007
  4. news.rcn.com

> [...]

    > contact problem is because MOST OF these symptoms don't seem to point to a
    > contact problem. Such as: Why can't it switch from ac to (a fully charged)
    > main battery like all other computers when you simply take out the plug? Why
    > does it shut down completely when you arent actually doing anything on the
    > computer if it is a contact problem? Unless the contacts inside the socket
    > are completely burned out, carbonised and pitted, why doesnt it charge the
    > battery on re-plug in if it is just a contact problem?

    > If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    > the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    > the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    > myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    > utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    Hmm. Agreed. Sounds more like an issue with the entire power unit
    in the laptop. Maybe a swithcing transistor that has a problem or
    the like. Very hard to diagnise without shematics and the right
    equipment.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 3, 2007
  5. news.rcn.com

    w_tom Guest

    On Sep 3, 1:27 pm, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    > If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    > the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    > the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    > myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    > utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    Contacts are self cleaning. That applies both to connectors and to
    contacts on battery.

    You are speculating what is a problem; then trying to fix based only
    on speculation. In but minutes with a meter you (or those who can
    provide better information) would know rather than just speculate.
    Everything posted is just speculation. Anyone with sufficient
    technical knowledge to provide a useful answer will post nothing -
    because no useful facts have been provided.

    For example, what is that battery voltage? Now we can say if the
    battery is charged. What is battery voltage when connected in system
    or voltage on connector to that battery; measured when AC power is
    applied and is disconnected.

    Why are you getting weird calibration problems? Nobody who could
    answer that question will even post because you don't provide numbers
    necessary to answer that question. First essential numbers are in the
    previous paragraph.

    Meanwhile, WD-40 is a worst solution possible. Contacts are self
    cleaning. Those with sufficient knowledge to answer your questions
    would have also noted why contact contamination does not exist.

    Is power supply a separate board? That would be unusual.

    Meanwhile, money spend on the power brick also would not be wasted
    had you used the meter and one minute to make those measurements.
    Just another exmaple of why fixing things only based in speculation is
    money wasted.

    w_tom, Sep 3, 2007
  6. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    "w_tom" <> wrote in message
    > Is power supply a separate board? That would be unusual.
    >
    > Meanwhile, money spend on the power brick also would not be wasted
    > had you used the meter and one minute to make those measurements.
    > Just another exmaple of why fixing things only based in speculation is
    > money wasted.

    Actually I am not the one who spent the money but the reason I posted was
    obvious: to find out (from someone who knows the way around the HP web
    site) where the service manual is. This will tell me how to establish
    whether the power supply is separate and/or how to get it out to replace it.

    Again, obviously, once inside I may well be able to figure out whether the
    contacts can be rendered more secure and the problem completely solved. Look
    at my carefully worded header.

    Without taking any voltage calibrations.

    (At the moment I don't even know how to crack open the case. And my
    suggestions as to what might be wrong with some carbon build-up on the
    connection was not designed to be taken seriously, else I would be able to
    see at least some pitting at least somewhere)

    news.rcn.com, Sep 4, 2007
  7. w_tom <> writes:

    > On Sep 3, 1:27 pm, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    > > If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    > > the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    > > the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    > > myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    > > utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    > Contacts are self cleaning. That applies both to connectors and to
    > contacts on battery.
    >
    > You are speculating what is a problem; then trying to fix based only
    > on speculation. In but minutes with a meter you (or those who can
    > provide better information) would know rather than just speculate.
    > Everything posted is just speculation. Anyone with sufficient
    > technical knowledge to provide a useful answer will post nothing -
    > because no useful facts have been provided.
    >
    > For example, what is that battery voltage? Now we can say if the
    > battery is charged. What is battery voltage when connected in system
    > or voltage on connector to that battery; measured when AC power is
    > applied and is disconnected.
    >
    > Why are you getting weird calibration problems? Nobody who could
    > answer that question will even post because you don't provide numbers
    > necessary to answer that question. First essential numbers are in the
    > previous paragraph.
    >
    > Meanwhile, WD-40 is a worst solution possible. Contacts are self
    > cleaning. Those with sufficient knowledge to answer your questions
    > would have also noted why contact contamination does not exist.
    >
    > Is power supply a separate board? That would be unusual.
    >
    > Meanwhile, money spend on the power brick also would not be wasted
    > had you used the meter and one minute to make those measurements.
    > Just another exmaple of why fixing things only based in speculation is
    > money wasted.

    Have you ever actually worked on a laptop computer? It's no where
    as simple as you make it out to be. :)

    Sam Goldwasser, Sep 4, 2007
  8. news.rcn.com

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 23:33:43 UTC, Sam Goldwasser
    <> wrote:

    > w_tom <> writes:
    >
    > > On Sep 3, 1:27 pm, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    > > > If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    > > > the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    > > > the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    > > > myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    > > > utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    > > Contacts are self cleaning. That applies both to connectors and to
    > > contacts on battery.
    > >
    > > You are speculating what is a problem; then trying to fix based only
    > > on speculation. In but minutes with a meter you (or those who can
    > > provide better information) would know rather than just speculate.
    > > Everything posted is just speculation. Anyone with sufficient
    > > technical knowledge to provide a useful answer will post nothing -
    > > because no useful facts have been provided.
    > >
    > > For example, what is that battery voltage? Now we can say if the
    > > battery is charged. What is battery voltage when connected in system
    > > or voltage on connector to that battery; measured when AC power is
    > > applied and is disconnected.
    > >
    > > Why are you getting weird calibration problems? Nobody who could
    > > answer that question will even post because you don't provide numbers
    > > necessary to answer that question. First essential numbers are in the
    > > previous paragraph.
    > >
    > > Meanwhile, WD-40 is a worst solution possible. Contacts are self
    > > cleaning. Those with sufficient knowledge to answer your questions
    > > would have also noted why contact contamination does not exist.
    > >
    > > Is power supply a separate board? That would be unusual.
    > >
    > > Meanwhile, money spend on the power brick also would not be wasted
    > > had you used the meter and one minute to make those measurements.
    > > Just another exmaple of why fixing things only based in speculation is
    > > money wasted.

    > Have you ever actually worked on a laptop computer? It's no where
    > as simple as you make it out to be. :)
    >
    > --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
    > Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
    > +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
    > | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
    >
    > Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
    > ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
    > subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

    You haven't come across w_tom before, then? Just don't mention
    lightning...
    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    Bob Eager, Sep 4, 2007
  9. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Re: but where DOES one find Service manuals for HP laptops please?

    "Bob Eager" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 23:33:43 UTC, Sam Goldwasser
    > <> wrote:
    > You haven't come across w_tom before, then? Just don't mention
    > lightning...

    That is what I sorta figured from his assertions that one has to do complex
    voltage measurements of minuscule internal parts (which you can only get at
    once you have cracked the case) in order for anyone to answer a question on
    where to find a service manual so that you can crack the case!

    news.rcn.com, Sep 4, 2007
  10. news.rcn.com

    Ben Myers Guest

    One of the reasons why I do not recommend HP laptops to my clients is the
    unavailability of service manuals to those of us who are unwashed service
    technicians, i.e. we are not "authorized" HP service providers. Some service
    manuals can be found elsewhere on the web, not on the HP web site, if and only
    if someone who has the printed manual has scanned it in as a PDF or if someone
    with the PDF version has put it on-line.

    By comparision, you or I can go to the Dell web site or the Lenovo/IBM web site
    and download the service manuals for nearly all of the laptops ever sold. The
    only exception I have found is that Dell does not have service manuals for its
    extremely cheaply made Inspiron laptops, which are pretty easy to disassemble
    anyway.

    The odds are reasonable that the ZT3380 power supply is built into the
    motherboard, and the laptop may be suffering from the malady that plagues many
    laptops, all brands to varying degrees, HP among the worst. The typical power
    connector to which the external power supply connects is soldered onto the
    motherboard, held in place only by the wires that supply the current to the
    motherboard and battery. A rudimentary knowledge of physics and materials
    science will tell anyone that solder is soft, an amalgam of soft metals. So the
    solder fractures under the constant pressure of attaching and detaching the
    external power brick, and the motherboard stops running when the battery loses
    all its charge... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 4, 2007
  11. "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to replace a power supply in an HP Pavilion ZT3380 laptop
    > please?
    >
    > The power plug seems to be exceptionally loose and if the computer shuts down,
    > you can occasionally get it turned on again by turning the plug around in the
    > socket 180 degrees so that something makes contact with something again. But
    > I don't think this is the whole story.
    >
    > > Someone once referred me to a service manual for my Pavilion 5415 which had

    > similar problem but I cant now find the reference to it (and replacing the
    > power supply for the 5415 involved a completely uneconomical taking apart of
    > the whole computer down virtually to the last screw!). These internal power
    > supplies do occasionally come up on ebay and sell for a few bucks. possibly
    > for this reason?
    >
    > Hopefully the situation wont be the same for the 3880? Though an alarming
    > number of them seem to come up very cheaply at places like Fry's, -
    > reconditioned .
    >
    > (Incidentally it refers to itself on its screen panel as a ZT3000, on its
    > underside as a ZT3300 and on it serial number plate as a ZT3380US)

    Try eBay:-
    HP Pavilion ZT3000 service repair manual 0n CD US$9.99

    Good luck! Colin

    Colin Horsley, Sep 4, 2007
  12. news.rcn.com

    w_tom Guest

    On Sep 3, 7:33 pm, Sam Goldwasser <> wrote:
    > Have you ever actually worked on a laptop computer? It's no where
    > as simple as you make it out to be. :)

    I believe you are confusing w_tom with news.rcn.com. The latter is
    going to open a laptop, look at a power supply, and know whether that
    power supply is defective on sight. He is going to solder a loose
    connector but even declares voltage measurements with a meter as
    complex. He is even going to *fix* bad electrical contacts with
    WD-40.

    He wasted money replacing a power brick ony because he speculated it
    might be bad rather than do what a 12 year old even does - use the
    meter. The meter being so simple that it is even sold to K-mart
    shoppers.

    news.rcn.com does not even know how to open a laptop but somehow
    *knows* the meter is too complex. Meanwhile, if he had used the
    meter, then basic information on power supply operation, power
    connector, and battery state could have been learned without opening
    the laptop.

    Most interesting is the speculation. news.rcn.com has assumed the
    power supply will be on a separate board. I have yet to see that on
    any laptop. But then news.rcn.com is using speculated symptoms to
    know what is wrong.

    If news.rcn.com cannot use a simple meter, then he most certainly
    cannot use an iPod. Therefore he is the last person who should be
    opening a laptop. Appreciate why HP would fear letting too many have
    service manuals. Somehow news.rcn.com is going to look at a power
    supply board and visually know it is good or bad? Well had he taken a
    few voltage measurements without opening the laptop, then his replies
    here could have been far more useful. Currently every reply is only
    speculation. Even more absurd is that he will reflow solder on a
    connector - but fears the multimeter as too complex. He will fix a
    connector with WD-40. Others never questioned his technical grasp?

    w_tom, Sep 4, 2007
  13. news.rcn.com

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    ....snip...
    Some PCs have non-rechargeable system button cells that can simply be
    replaced.

    Sounds like you have a bad NiCAD/NiH battery and bad connections. On my
    Compaq (aren't Compaq and HP the same these days?) the socket is notorious
    for coming completely loose from the motherboard resulting in the whole
    thing failing. My PC was dismantled carefully, the socket soldered back
    with some suitable copper wire where the MB contacts had failed and then the
    whole socket epoxied to the motherboard for further strenthening. Should it
    fail again, I'll never be able to repair it again but frankly I've repaired
    it once too many times for my liking already.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Sep 4, 2007
  14. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in message
    > ...snip...
    > Some PCs have non-rechargeable system button cells that can simply be
    > replaced.
    >
    > Sounds like you have a bad NiCAD/NiH battery and bad connections. On my
    > Compaq (aren't Compaq and HP the same these days?) the socket is notorious
    > for coming completely loose from the motherboard resulting in the whole
    > thing failing. My PC was dismantled carefully, the socket soldered back
    > with some suitable copper wire where the MB contacts had failed and then
    > the whole socket epoxied to the motherboard for further strenthening.
    > Should it fail again, I'll never be able to repair it again but frankly
    > I've repaired it once too many times for my liking already.

    I am in exactly the same position: We have established that the connector
    between the mobo and power socket does come loose on these HP laptops and
    then presumably the power in stops providing power to the rail comprising
    the CMOS battery charge circuit. There might well be nothing wrong with the
    (reasonably newish) CMOS battery. Since this time I have spoken to a
    friend in New York who reports that he had exactly the same problem with TWO
    of these computers bought for his kids! I dont think there can be much
    doubt any more about what is causing this, despite some responder's mention
    of the need to check voltage measurements before soldering back what
    everyone seems to agree is the broken connection.

    Where did you find someone to do the repair? Or if you did it, was the
    soldering a difficult one comprising lots of tiny connections?

    news.rcn.com, Sep 4, 2007
  15. news.rcn.com

    justmanuals Guest

    http://www.justmanuals.com

    justmanuals, Sep 4, 2007
  16. news.rcn.com

    justmanuals, Sep 4, 2007
  17. news.rcn.com

    Ben Myers Guest

    My neighborhood is populated with teens who can use an iPod really well, but
    have no clue how to use a meter. You must have some exceptional 12-year olds
    in your area. My town has one of the best public high schools in the state, yet
    the kids never get close to a meter until maybe in 11th or 12th grade physics.

    The iPod has a really slick and simple user interface, even simpler than a
    multimeter. And does not require even rudimentary knowledge of electricity or
    electronics to use... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 5, 2007
  18. news.rcn.com

    w_tom Guest

    On Sep 4, 1:18 pm, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    > I dont think there can be much doubt any more about what is
    > causing this, despite some responder's mention of the need to
    > check voltage measurements before soldering back what
    > everyone seems to agree is the broken connection.
    >
    > Where did you find someone to do the repair? Or if you did it, was the
    > soldering a difficult one comprising lots of tiny connections?

    Meter and two minutes would have identified a same broken solder
    joint that was not obviously broken - and maybe six other problems.
    There was no reason to believe you had a loose connector because it
    should have been that obvious and stated in your first post.

    Where do you find someone to solder a connector? Well, if that
    computer tech cannot use a meter, he most definitely cannot solder a
    connector safely; may even damage the motherboard or connector
    trying. You need someone with simplest electrical knowledge and
    soldering experience. Soldering is far more complex than a meter;
    could even cause motherboard damage.

    Everything posted says the connector is OK. If using speculation,
    the most likely problem is a broker solder joint; not a broken
    connector. Simply reflow solder in 30 seconds. Anyone who can solder
    should have no problem opening the laptop if done with care.
    Soldering can be accomplished in less than a minute. Learning how to
    open the laptop - maybe 30 or 45 minutes. Less time if using a shop
    manual.

    w_tom, Sep 5, 2007
  19. news.rcn.com

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc w_tom <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 1:27 pm, "news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote:
    >> If it IS just a contact problem, surely just spraying it with WD40 will make
    >> the problem completely go away for at least a while until the metal under
    >> the 'oil' starts encountering the carbon again? And for fear of repeating
    >> myself, why am I getting all these mysterious problems with the calibration
    >> utility if the problem is with the contacts?

    > Contacts are self cleaning. That applies both to connectors and to
    > contacts on battery.

    > You are speculating what is a problem; then trying to fix based only
    > on speculation. In but minutes with a meter you (or those who can
    > provide better information) would know rather than just speculate.
    > Everything posted is just speculation. Anyone with sufficient
    > technical knowledge to provide a useful answer will post nothing -
    > because no useful facts have been provided.

    > For example, what is that battery voltage? Now we can say if the
    > battery is charged. What is battery voltage when connected in system
    > or voltage on connector to that battery; measured when AC power is
    > applied and is disconnected.

    > Why are you getting weird calibration problems? Nobody who could
    > answer that question will even post because you don't provide numbers
    > necessary to answer that question. First essential numbers are in the
    > previous paragraph.

    > Meanwhile, WD-40 is a worst solution possible. Contacts are self
    > cleaning. Those with sufficient knowledge to answer your questions
    > would have also noted why contact contamination does not exist.

    > Is power supply a separate board? That would be unusual.

    > Meanwhile, money spend on the power brick also would not be wasted
    > had you used the meter and one minute to make those measurements.
    > Just another exmaple of why fixing things only based in speculation is
    > money wasted.

    That joker again. Goi away, you are a) not welcome b) not helping
    and c) do not have a clue.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 5, 2007
  20. news.rcn.com

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > My neighborhood is populated with teens who can use an iPod really well, but
    > have no clue how to use a meter. You must have some exceptional 12-year olds
    > in your area. My town has one of the best public high schools in the state, yet
    > the kids never get close to a meter until maybe in 11th or 12th grade physics.

    > The iPod has a really slick and simple user interface, even simpler than a
    > multimeter. And does not require even rudimentary knowledge of electricity or
    > electronics to use... Ben Myers

    This is w_tom. Believes he knows better than everybody else.
    In fact he has half-knowledge and a seriously inflated ego. Do
    not even try to prove him wrong, it is a waste of time. He
    will evade the questions, when they hit too close to home.

    Just google him on groups.google.com. Some long threads
    there were some people took his arguments apart very carefully
    and nothing was left. Except his insitenace that he knows better.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 5, 2007