Setting up a server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raja, May 10, 2004.

  1. Raja

    Raja Guest

    Hi,
    I helping my friend setup his office of about 10 users.
    They use office apps, and want Exchange on the server.
    As well as a backup of all there data.
    So I was thinking Win 2003 Small Business
    and Roaming profiles.

    I put together this system but not sure if it is a good configuration?

    CPU INTEL XEON 2.4Ghz
    MB INTEL SE7501CW2 Mainboard
    RAM Kingston 1GB (2X512MB) ECC DDR RAM
    HDD 2X SCSI 73GB HDD U320 10KRPM
    FDD 1.44MB Floppy Disk Driver
    CDROM 52XCD-RW
    VGA 8MB On board
    Case Aopen Server 300W Full Tower Case
    LAN on board Intel 10/100/1000 NIC
    Keyboard MS Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    Others Sony scsi AIT-2 tape driver kits
    Others Adaptec ASR2120S RAID Card
    Software Windows 2003 Small Busniess Standard (OEM)

    I'm also getting a switch, separate smoothwall firewall pc and a
    monitor, is there anything missing or is this configuration just not
    good enough.

    Any comment or suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
    Raja

    Raja, May 10, 2004

  2. Raja

    Jon Allport Guest

    (Raja) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    > I helping my friend setup his office of about 10 users.
    > They use office apps, and want Exchange on the server.
    > As well as a backup of all there data.
    > So I was thinking Win 2003 Small Business
    > and Roaming profiles.
    >
    > I put together this system but not sure if it is a good configuration?
    >
    > CPU INTEL XEON 2.4Ghz
    > MB INTEL SE7501CW2 Mainboard
    > RAM Kingston 1GB (2X512MB) ECC DDR RAM
    > HDD 2X SCSI 73GB HDD U320 10KRPM
    > FDD 1.44MB Floppy Disk Driver
    > CDROM 52XCD-RW
    > VGA 8MB On board
    > Case Aopen Server 300W Full Tower Case
    > LAN on board Intel 10/100/1000 NIC
    > Keyboard MS Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    > Others Sony scsi AIT-2 tape driver kits
    > Others Adaptec ASR2120S RAID Card
    > Software Windows 2003 Small Busniess Standard (OEM)
    >
    > I'm also getting a switch, separate smoothwall firewall pc and a
    > monitor, is there anything missing or is this configuration just not
    > good enough.
    >
    > Any comment or suggestions would be great.
    > Thanks
    > Raja

    I would never recommend MS-SBS - you are constrained to 1 hardware
    server and running exchange on the same h/ware as your file/print svr
    will SERIOUSLY degrade performance. Go for two servers or if costs
    are a premium try Novell SBS - bargain, and will hapiliy run
    file/print, mail, database on same h/ware.

    Jon Allport, May 14, 2004