    Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
    £30.99

    thanks for looking

    doddie, Apr 25, 2008

  2. doddie wrote:
    > Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
    > 2x 160GB > SATAII
    >
    > Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
    > is about 60 quid
    >
    > seen this one from Amazon ...
    > Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
    > £30.99
    >
    > thanks for looking

    nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !

    I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.

    To get really reliable then budget for an enterprise class sata drive.

    --
    Cheerz - Brownz
    '89 K100RS

    Brownz \(Mobile\), Apr 26, 2008

  3. doddie

    DCA Guest

    Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
    > doddie wrote:
    >
    >> Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
    >> 2x 160GB > SATAII
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
    >> is about 60 quid
    >>
    >> seen this one from Amazon ...
    >> Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
    >> £30.99
    >>
    >> thanks for looking
    >>

    > nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !
    >
    > I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.
    >
    > To get really reliable then budget for an enterprise class sata drive.

    Ehh - why not Maxtor? He needs to test his RAID so a perfect solution!

    DCA, Apr 26, 2008
  4. doddie

    DCA Guest

    kony wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:46:26 GMT, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> doddie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
    >>> 2x 160GB > SATAII
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
    >>> is about 60 quid
    >>>
    >>> seen this one from Amazon ...
    >>> Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
    >>> £30.99
    >>>
    >>> thanks for looking
    >>>

    >> nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !
    >>
    >> I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.
    >>

    > Ironically, that is a Seagate designed and manufactured
    > drive with a Maxtor label. Haven't you kept up with the
    > state of affairs after Maxtor was bought by Seagate?

    what is? the hitachi or the samsung - neither to my knowledge!

    DCA, Apr 26, 2008
  5. On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:30:03 +0100, "doddie" <> wrote:
    <snip>

    >So raid 0 the way to go for now, will there be much speed increase compared
    >to single drive?
    >

    >Specs...
    >
    >Intel Duo E8200 oc to 3.2 ghz
    >2GB Crucial
    >512mb Asus 8800 GT TOP
    >XP
    >
    >Thanks for all the replys :)

    I'd really be interested to hear back from you as to whether you
    actually see any speed improvement. I had a RAID 0 setup on a board
    several years ago (dual PATA drives, not SATA) and I found it just a
    bother, with no descernable improvement at all. I now have a
    RAID-capable board but haven't tired setting RAID up, since my
    previous experience was disappointing.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Apr 27, 2008
  6. doddie

    DCA Guest

    kony wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:24:13 GMT, DCA
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Ironically, that is a Seagate designed and manufactured
    >>> drive with a Maxtor label. Haven't you kept up with the
    >>> state of affairs after Maxtor was bought by Seagate?
    >>>

    >> what is? the hitachi or the samsung - neither to my knowledge!
    >>

    > Where in the world do you get Samsung from? The Maxtor is a
    > Seagate, it is fairly common knowledge among those who kept
    > up with such things.

    Yes - I know

    DCA, Apr 27, 2008