Shaping the future of visual computing (Larrabee)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by parallax-scroll, Apr 7, 2009.

    1. Advertising

  1. parallax-scroll

    Robert Miles Guest

    "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    > http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/archive/shaping-the-future-of-va.php

    That website doesn't make it clear whether Intel's efforts will slow
    down medical research by decreasing the percentage of all video
    boards which are Nvidia boards now usable to support the few
    BOINC projects which are able to use video boards to do some
    types of computer work faster than CPUs can do it, or whether
    Intel plans to eventually speed up medical research by offering
    software that makes it easier to write programs that run on
    video boards using Intel's video chips but are doing things unrelated
    to producing graphics.

    http://www.gpugrid.net/

    Robert Miles

    Robert Miles, Apr 9, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Folk Guest

    On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:47:22 -0500, "Robert Miles"
    <> wrote:

    >"parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    >> http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/archive/shaping-the-future-of-va.php

    >That website doesn't make it clear whether Intel's efforts will slow
    >down medical research by decreasing the percentage of all video
    >boards which are Nvidia boards now usable to support the few
    >BOINC projects which are able to use video boards to do some
    >types of computer work faster than CPUs can do it, or whether
    >Intel plans to eventually speed up medical research by offering
    >software that makes it easier to write programs that run on
    >video boards using Intel's video chips but are doing things unrelated
    >to producing graphics.

    One sentence. Bet you can't say it without breathing.

    Folk, Apr 9, 2009
  3. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Apr 8, 11:47 pm, "Robert Miles" <>
    wrote:
    > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message

    > >http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/archive/shaping-the-future-...

    > That website doesn't make it clear whether Intel's efforts will slow
    > down medical research by decreasing the percentage of all video
    > boards which are Nvidia boards now usable to support the few
    > BOINC projects which are able to use video boards to do some
    > types of computer work faster than CPUs can do it, or whether
    > Intel plans to eventually speed up medical research by offering
    > software that makes it easier to write programs that run on
    > video boards using Intel's video chips but are doing things unrelated
    > to producing graphics.
    >
    > http://www.gpugrid.net/

    It's a safe bet that Intel, just like IBM, is interested in any high-
    profile application that will get them more visibility. This chip is
    aimed at many markets, including HPC and other applications in science
    and engineering. Graphics just happens to be the easiest to make a
    business case for.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Apr 9, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Robert Miles wrote:
    > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    >> http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/archive/shaping-the-future-of-va.php

    > That website doesn't make it clear whether Intel's efforts will slow
    > down medical research by decreasing the percentage of all video
    > boards which are Nvidia boards now usable to support the few
    > BOINC projects which are able to use video boards to do some
    > types of computer work faster than CPUs can do it, or whether
    > Intel plans to eventually speed up medical research by offering
    > software that makes it easier to write programs that run on
    > video boards using Intel's video chips but are doing things unrelated
    > to producing graphics.
    >
    > http://www.gpugrid.net/
    >
    > Robert Miles

    There's another development happening, based around the OpenCL
    standards. AMD just recently showed gaming physics demo based around
    both Havoc and OpenCL. Though this is based around gaming applications,
    OpenCL is more general purpose than that.

    Yousuf Khan

    ATI ends the physics argument - The Inquirer
    "Don't underestimate how big a deal this is, however. As soon as it is
    optimised correctly, you can parse the physics load between the CPU and
    GPU. If you have more of one than the other, you can still use physics
    in the way it was meant to be played. Oops, wrong slogan... but this
    implementation should actually do what the other side promises. The
    upshot is that game developers can use physics more liberally, they
    don't have to worry about minimum specs as much."
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/673/1051673/ati-physics-argument

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 10, 2009
  5. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Apr 9, 7:50 pm, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Robert Miles wrote:
    > > "parallax-scroll" <> wrote in message
    > >>http://software.intel.com/sites/billboard/archive/shaping-the-future-....

    > > That website doesn't make it clear whether Intel's efforts will slow
    > > down medical research by decreasing the percentage of all video
    > > boards which are Nvidia boards now usable to support the few
    > > BOINC projects which are able to use video boards to do some
    > > types of computer work faster than CPUs can do it, or whether
    > > Intel plans to eventually speed up medical research by offering
    > > software that makes it easier to write programs that run on
    > > video boards using Intel's video chips but are doing things unrelated
    > > to producing graphics.

    > >http://www.gpugrid.net/

    > > Robert Miles

    > There's another development happening, based around the OpenCL
    > standards. AMD just recently showed gaming physics demo based around
    > both Havoc and OpenCL. Though this is based around gaming applications,
    > OpenCL is more general purpose than that.

    A better link to OpenCL without the Inquirer's usual slant:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

    People who write to specific platforms will always have to count on
    the continued availability and competitiveness of the platform. x86
    is number one in both of those categories, and it's the only plausible
    candidate to ride out the microprocessor revolution. I'd bet on it
    again at this point.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Apr 10, 2009
  6. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Robert Myers wrote:
    > People who write to specific platforms will always have to count on
    > the continued availability and competitiveness of the platform. x86
    > is number one in both of those categories, and it's the only plausible
    > candidate to ride out the microprocessor revolution. I'd bet on it
    > again at this point.

    What changed your mind? I thought Itanium was the only way to go,
    according to you?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 10, 2009
  7. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Apr 10, 12:16 am, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Robert Myers wrote:
    > > People who write to specific platforms will always have to count on
    > > the continued availability and competitiveness of the platform.  x86
    > > is number one in both of those categories, and it's the only plausible
    > > candidate to ride out the microprocessor revolution.  I'd bet on it
    > > again at this point.

    > What changed your mind? I thought Itanium was the only way to go,
    > according to you?

    I hope Itanium isn't the new Rambus--the thing you bring up when you
    want to start a flame war.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Apr 10, 2009
  8. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Robert Myers wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 12:16 am, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    >> Robert Myers wrote:
    >>> People who write to specific platforms will always have to count on
    >>> the continued availability and competitiveness of the platform. x86
    >>> is number one in both of those categories, and it's the only plausible
    >>> candidate to ride out the microprocessor revolution. I'd bet on it
    >>> again at this point.

    >> What changed your mind? I thought Itanium was the only way to go,
    >> according to you?
    >>

    > I hope Itanium isn't the new Rambus--the thing you bring up when you
    > want to start a flame war.

    Not at all, I've been convinced about x86 being here to stay for a long
    time, while you have not. It's a legitimate question.

    Regardless, OpenCL seems to promise a very flexible future, where you
    split up workloads between all kinds of devices and not worry about what
    they are.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 10, 2009
  9. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Apr 10, 3:07 pm, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Robert Myers wrote:
    > >> What changed your mind? I thought Itanium was the only way to go,
    > >> according to you?

    > > I hope Itanium isn't the new Rambus--the thing you bring up when you
    > > want to start a flame war.

    > Not at all, I've been convinced about x86 being here to stay for a long
    > time, while you have not. It's a legitimate question.

    I"ve been around a long time. I've gotten some things right and some
    things wrong.

    > Regardless, OpenCL seems to promise a very flexible future, where you
    > split up workloads between all kinds of devices and not worry about what
    > they are.

    I'm skeptical of most meta-software. The world is a blizzard of
    languages and API's, and software just gets to be more and more of a
    mess. There's always some new whiz-bang thing that's going to save
    the planet, or at least the industry.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Apr 10, 2009
  10. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Robert Myers wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 3:07 pm, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    >> Not at all, I've been convinced about x86 being here to stay for a long
    >> time, while you have not. It's a legitimate question.

    > I"ve been around a long time. I've gotten some things right and some
    > things wrong.

    Well then, that's a very good answer.

    >> Regardless, OpenCL seems to promise a very flexible future, where you
    >> split up workloads between all kinds of devices and not worry about what
    >> they are.

    > I'm skeptical of most meta-software. The world is a blizzard of
    > languages and API's, and software just gets to be more and more of a
    > mess. There's always some new whiz-bang thing that's going to save
    > the planet, or at least the industry.

    And according to the article, AMD wrote the OpenCL GPU drivers in a few
    weeks. That's pretty much answering all of Nvidia's CUDA efforts, which
    Nvidia has done over several years, in those few weeks. If things can be
    done that quickly in OpenCL, then this meta-software might actually do
    what it's promising.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 10, 2009
  11. parallax-scroll

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Apr 10, 6:56 pm, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Robert Myers wrote:
    > > On Apr 10, 3:07 pm, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > >> Not at all, I've been convinced about x86 being here to stay for a long
    > >> time, while you have not. It's a legitimate question.

    > > I"ve been around a long time.  I've gotten some things right and some
    > > things wrong.

    > Well then, that's a very good answer.

    The cosmos will die a thermodynamic death before I hear a similar
    admission from the latency-is-everything crowd.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Apr 15, 2009