    on that. My DJ812C is connected to the parallel port of the win98
    system which acts as a print server for Vista, but does have USB
    capabilities that I've never used.

    SlickRCBD, May 12, 2010

  2. SlickRCBD

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/12/2010 11:33 AM, SlickRCBD wrote:
    > My old hp DeskJet 812C ran out of ink for it's color cartridge last
    > week. In the store, I saw that a new cartridge cost around $45. The
    > store also had a display nearby for another color printer for only
    > $35. Given that there's 10 years of technology advancement between
    > them, I'm sure that cheap printer is just as capable as the old
    > DeskJet. However, it is unlikely that the new printer has win98
    > drivers.
    >
    > If I hook up one of those cheap printers, will I be able to share it
    > with my two functional windows computers? One is running windows 98SE,
    > the other is running Vista 64 home premium.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the Win98 one only uses USB 1.1, but not 100% certain
    > on that. My DJ812C is connected to the parallel port of the win98
    > system which acts as a print server for Vista, but does have USB
    > capabilities that I've never used.

    I'll tell you the answer you may not want to hear, or maybe you'll be
    surprised to hear.

    Modern inkjet printers, ANY BRAND, are made to sell ink. That's why
    they are so cheap, and also more cheaply made than the 812C. If the
    812C is still steady and reliable, you may be better off simply spending
    the $45.

    Ask the people selling the printers how many pages can be printed from a
    single ink cartridge. (If you get either a bullshit response or an "I
    don't know" from the sales person, either find another sales person in
    the store or shop elsewhere.) Then look at the cost of the replacement
    cartridges, and calculate the cost per page. Now do the same for your
    trusty 812C. (I'll bet that the replacement cartridge(s) for the $35
    printer cost more than the original printer, and that you are getting a
    starter set of cartridges with the new printer good for not too many
    printed pages.

    HP, Epson, Brother, Samsung, Lexmark and any other printer mfr I've not
    mentioned have all figured out how to make money from printers. It is
    the old Gilette strategy of giving away the razor and selling the
    blades. (Gilette has since streamlined their business model by selling
    cheap razors.)

    There is a good reason why HP's printer division accounts for a large
    percentage of company profits. With every printer sold comes a special
    vacuum hose that sucks the money out of your billfold to supply you with
    ink cartridges.

    That said, I use an old B&W HP LaserJet for 99.99% of my printing and my
    cost per page is barely more than I pay for paper... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 13, 2010