    amps. Before I try putting in a new power supply, I'd like to
    know if anybody has gotten this card to work in a kt7a?

    , Dec 15, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I purchased an eVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX5200 128MB 64-bit
    > DDR PCI video card for use with an abit kt7a-raid v1.3
    > motherboard. When I put it in, I got the beep code for "no
    > display installed", 1 long, 2 short.
    >
    > I tried it in other slots, but it still wouldn't pass post. I
    > tried disconnecting other devices, in case the power drain was
    > too much for my supply, but it made no difference. I sent it
    > back, and got another, and it doesn't work, either.
    >
    > According to the info at
    > http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-P1-N309-LX&family=13
    > this card needs a power supply that can provide +12v at 18
    > amps; the sticker on my power supply says it'll do +12 at 17
    > amps. Before I try putting in a new power supply, I'd like to
    > know if anybody has gotten this card to work in a kt7a?

    That power recommendation is for a P4 motherboard. Your
    motherboard uses much less power. And your motherboard doesn't
    use 12V, the same way as a P4 board. A P4 uses so much 12V, that
    a separate ATX12V 2x2 power cable, is used in addition to the
    main connector. Your motherboard has no such connector. So
    you can ignore the EVGA recommendation, as it does not apply to
    you.

    Unless your 3.3V and 5V power rating is really low, I doubt it
    is a power problem. And your board wouldn't have the power to
    beep, if there was some kind of overload.

    Maybe this is a BIOS issue ?

    What other video cards have you used ?

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    On 2006-12-15, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I purchased an eVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX5200 128MB 64-bit
    >> DDR PCI video card for use with an abit kt7a-raid v1.3
    >> motherboard. When I put it in, I got the beep code for "no
    >> display installed", 1 long, 2 short.
    >>
    >> I tried it in other slots, but it still wouldn't pass post. I
    >> tried disconnecting other devices, in case the power drain was
    >> too much for my supply, but it made no difference. I sent it
    >> back, and got another, and it doesn't work, either.
    >>
    >> According to the info at
    >> http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=128-P1-N309-LX&family=13
    >> this card needs a power supply that can provide +12v at 18
    >> amps; the sticker on my power supply says it'll do +12 at 17
    >> amps. Before I try putting in a new power supply, I'd like to
    >> know if anybody has gotten this card to work in a kt7a?

    > That power recommendation is for a P4 motherboard. Your
    > motherboard uses much less power. And your motherboard doesn't
    > use 12V, the same way as a P4 board. A P4 uses so much 12V, that
    > a separate ATX12V 2x2 power cable, is used in addition to the
    > main connector. Your motherboard has no such connector. So
    > you can ignore the EVGA recommendation, as it does not apply to
    > you.
    >
    > Unless your 3.3V and 5V power rating is really low, I doubt it
    > is a power problem. And your board wouldn't have the power to
    > beep, if there was some kind of overload.
    >
    > Maybe this is a BIOS issue ?
    >
    > What other video cards have you used ?
    >
    > Paul

    ATI Rage128 Pro (ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro)

    , Dec 15, 2006
  4. Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:44:59 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:

    > I purchased an eVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX5200 128MB 64-bit
    > DDR PCI video card for use with an abit kt7a-raid v1.3
    > motherboard. When I put it in, I got the beep code for "no
    > display installed", 1 long, 2 short.

    Most people haven't gotton them to work. SOmeone said they chenged the
    bios to 4x mode before installing the 5200 and it worked. Others not.
    Depends a lot on the card manufacturer and how much backward compatibility
    theu built in. I replaced a GF2 GTS and GF3 with FX5200's strictly for the
    mpeg2 decoder support. The FX 5200 was alot slower than both the older
    cards so unless you need this feature, you'll be better off with an older
    card anyway.

    Wes Newell, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Guest

    On 2006-12-15, Wes Newell <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:44:59 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased an eVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX5200 128MB 64-bit
    >> DDR PCI video card for use with an abit kt7a-raid v1.3
    >> motherboard. When I put it in, I got the beep code for "no
    >> display installed", 1 long, 2 short.
    >>

    > Most people haven't gotton them to work. SOmeone said they chenged the
    > bios to 4x mode before installing the 5200 and it worked. Others not.
    > Depends a lot on the card manufacturer and how much backward compatibility
    > theu built in. I replaced a GF2 GTS and GF3 with FX5200's strictly for the
    > mpeg2 decoder support. The FX 5200 was alot slower than both the older
    > cards so unless you need this feature, you'll be better off with an older
    > card anyway.

    4x mode? This is a pci card.

    , Dec 16, 2006
  6. Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:07:12 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:

    > On 2006-12-15, Wes Newell <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:44:59 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I purchased an eVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX5200 128MB 64-bit
    >>> DDR PCI video card for use with an abit kt7a-raid v1.3
    >>> motherboard. When I put it in, I got the beep code for "no
    >>> display installed", 1 long, 2 short.
    >>>

    >> Most people haven't gotton them to work. SOmeone said they chenged the
    >> bios to 4x mode before installing the 5200 and it worked. Others not.
    >> Depends a lot on the card manufacturer and how much backward compatibility
    >> theu built in. I replaced a GF2 GTS and GF3 with FX5200's strictly for the
    >> mpeg2 decoder support. The FX 5200 was alot slower than both the older
    >> cards so unless you need this feature, you'll be better off with an older
    >> card anyway.
    >>

    > 4x mode? This is a pci card.

    I didn't even notice that. Why on earth PCI and not AGP? haven worked with
    PCI video card in years. There is a bios option for it though. Might need
    to be set to PCI if that's the only video card in the machine. Not sure
    what the default is but the options or PCI and AGP.

    Wes Newell, Dec 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    On 2006-12-16, Wes Newell <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:07:12 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:

    >>> Most people haven't gotton them to work. SOmeone said they chenged the
    >>> bios to 4x mode before installing the 5200 and it worked. Others not.
    >>> Depends a lot on the card manufacturer and how much backward compatibility
    >>> theu built in. I replaced a GF2 GTS and GF3 with FX5200's strictly for the
    >>> mpeg2 decoder support. The FX 5200 was alot slower than both the older
    >>> cards so unless you need this feature, you'll be better off with an older
    >>> card anyway.
    >>>

    >> 4x mode? This is a pci card.

    > I didn't even notice that. Why on earth PCI and not AGP? haven worked with
    > PCI video card in years. There is a bios option for it though. Might need
    > to be set to PCI if that's the only video card in the machine. Not sure
    > what the default is but the options or PCI and AGP.

    About 8 months ago, I tried a known good card in the agp slot,
    and it wouldn't work. Posters in this group suggested that the
    capacitors for the agp slot on the motherboard may be bad
    (although they look ok to me), so I decided to try a pci card.

    The current video card is also pci and, since it works, I assume
    the bios is configured to use a pci video card. I have been
    hoping to get a card with hardware mpeg decoding and tv out to
    work with this motherboard.

    , Dec 16, 2006
  8. Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:24:30 +0000, zow0lgu02 wrote:

    > About 8 months ago, I tried a known good card in the agp slot,
    > and it wouldn't work. Posters in this group suggested that the
    > capacitors for the agp slot on the motherboard may be bad
    > (although they look ok to me), so I decided to try a pci card.

    But was it a known compatable? I used a TNT-M64 in mine for a while and
    then a GF2 GTS. I know there were problems with early bioses and later
    cards.

    > The current video card is also pci and, since it works, I assume the
    > bios is configured to use a pci video card. I have been hoping to get a
    > card with hardware mpeg decoding and tv out to work with this
    > motherboard.

    My only guess is that the card just isn't compatable for some reason.
    Might try clearing the cmos and see if that helps. Also upgrade the bios
    to latest version if you haven't already done that. Good luck.

    Wes Newell, Dec 16, 2006