Shuttle + Intel Prescott CPU + XP SP2 = Lockup

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Rob Chandler, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Rob Chandler

    Rob Chandler Guest

    Hi folks

    For those of us with Shuttles + Intel Prescott chips its been
    an extremely painful time since XP SP2 became available.

    Everytime we update the Bios
    or Install XP SP2
    or Update to a later version of Windows (eg. Windows MCE 2004 +SP2 ->
    MCE2005)
    the machine just hangs (or reboots) when windows starts up.

    Shuttle have released new Bios updates to address the SP2 problem
    but it looks like they haven't addressed the problem fully yet. At least
    now you can reformat and install SP2 without a hang.

    Problem appears related to SP2 + Intel Prescott CPUs. The Shuttles BIOS does
    not install a production level microcode update. Should be stepper level 8
    or more and
    my Shuttle ST61G4 is stepper level 3. To check your stepper level download
    the
    Intel Processor Frequency ID utility:

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/

    I've been working through this with my Shuttle ST61G4
    Blog: http://wiki.helpware.net/index.php?page=Shuttle

    Finally I think we have a fix (from MS)

    == 1 ==
    About to install XP SP2?
    1. Update to the latest BIOS from the Shuttle site
    2. Install this MS Critical Update KB885626
    3. Update to SP2

    == 2 ==
    Applied XP SP2 and know can't boot?
    1. Rename \windows\system32\drivers\Update.sys to update.sp2 in revery mode
    2. Now you can boot up.
    3. Rename back to Update.sp2 back to sys
    4. Apply critica update KB885626

    Full description here

    * http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626
    * http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    Critical update KB885626 only went up a few days a go.

    Feed back is welcome. I'd like to know if people are helped by the new
    Update.
    mailto:

    == Extra Info ==

    Rob Chandler