Shuttle IOMMU question on x86_64 system?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by thumper@magpage.com, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    A question for the group here. Recently, when checking out the
    "dmesg" and "messages" files on the current rig I have (a Shuttle
    SN27P2 barebones system with a AMD Athlon 4600+ dual core CPU in it
    running both Mandriva Discovery and Kubuntu "Dapper Drake" 64 bit OS),
    I noticed there was a line listed in both files that read:

    CPU 0: aperture @ f39c000000 size 32 MB
    Aperture from northbridge cpu 0 too small (32 MB)
    No AGP bridge found
    Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
    Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
    This costs you 64 MB of RAM

    Now my quick question for the group here is, is this something I
    should be concerned about? A check of the BIOS chip doesn't show any
    IOMMU setting as far as I can see (I assume this setting would be in
    the BIOS?). There is a line farther down in each of the above
    mentioned files that references something called a GART IOMMU freeing
    up some of the memory (I think?). I'd really appreciate any help
    anyone can give me resolving this, with me basically being a Linux
    newbee. Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer to me!

    , Jun 18, 2007