Shuttle xpc SB86i Questions

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Rotwang, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Rotwang

    Rotwang Guest

    I just bought a Shuttle xpc SB86i barebones kit, and I've got a couple
    of questions. I've been building PC's for myself and family and
    friends for over 10 years, but this is my first SFF system.

    Included with the system was a rectangular metal plate, about
    3"x2"x1/4". It appears to be aluminum sandwiched between two
    beige-colored layers of some other material, that are protected by
    sheets of plastic film. It's fairly heavy, so it might not be
    aluminum. There's no mention of it anywhere in the manual, including
    the parts list, and I can't figure out what it's for. No system I've
    built has ever used anything like it.

    Second question: I noticed that the "load plate" that holds the CPU in
    place had a slight upward bend instead of being flat. Is this normal,
    or had the part in my system gotten bent somehow? After seating the
    CPU, I was able to lock it down with the socket lever, but I was a
    little concerned that it might crack something. My last several
    systems have used AMD CPU's, so I don't know if this is normal for
    current Intel CPU sockets.

    I'm building this system for my parents, so it needs to be as
    trouble-free as possible. Any help with these issues is appreciated.

    Rotwang, Feb 25, 2006