    few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    --
    lafill

    lafill, Jun 14, 2012

  2. lafill

    JF Mezei Guest

    lafill wrote:
    > When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
    > computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
    > a key again it wakes and stays awake.

    Disable the snooze button !!!!

    :) :)

    (sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

    JF Mezei, Jun 14, 2012

  3. lafill

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jrdk0o$gv5$>,
    lafill <> wrote:

    > When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
    > computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
    > a key again it wakes and stays awake. This annoying behavior started a
    > few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    What happens when you press the space bar twice in reasonably quick
    succession? How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
    Preferences?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 15, 2012
  4. lafill

    lafill Guest

    On 6/14/12 2:47 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > lafill wrote:
    >> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
    >> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
    >> a key again it wakes and stays awake.

    > Disable the snooze button !!!!
    >
    > :) :)
    >

    > (sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

    But I snooze!

    lafill, Jun 15, 2012
  5. lafill

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <4fda5bdc$0$4137$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > lafill wrote:
    > > When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
    > > computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
    > > a key again it wakes and stays awake.

    > Disable the snooze button !!!!
    >
    > :) :)
    >

    > (sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

    Try harder.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Tom Stiller, Jun 15, 2012
  6. lafill

    lafill Guest

    On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<jrdk0o$gv5$>,
    > lafill<> wrote:
    >
    >> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
    >> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
    >> a key again it wakes and stays awake. This annoying behavior started a
    >> few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    > What happens when you press the space bar twice in reasonably quick
    > succession?

    The same behavior.
    How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
    > Preferences?

    Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.

    lafill, Jun 15, 2012
  7. lafill

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jre9ad$432$>,
    lafill <> wrote:

    > On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<jrdk0o$gv5$>,
    > > lafill<> wrote:

    > > How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
    > > Preferences?

    > Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.

    My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
    finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
    Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.

    Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
    saving - to see if the behaviour continues?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 15, 2012
  8. lafill

    lafill Guest

    On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<jre9ad$432$>,
    > lafill<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article<jrdk0o$gv5$>,
    >>> lafill<> wrote:

    >>> How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
    >>> Preferences?

    >> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
    >>

    > My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
    > finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
    > Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
    >
    > Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
    > saving - to see if the behaviour continues?

    I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
    the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
    possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
    I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
    to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
    result. What are your settings?

    lafill, Jun 15, 2012
  9. lafill

    lafill Guest

    On 6/15/12 10:12 AM, lafill wrote:
    > On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
    >> In article<jre9ad$432$>,
    >> lafill<> wrote:

    >>> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
    >>>

    >> My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
    >> finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
    >> Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
    >>
    >> Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
    >> saving - to see if the behaviour continues?
    >>

    > I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
    > the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
    > possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
    > I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
    > to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
    > result. What are your settings?

    So far it's working with the new settings. Hope it lasts. Thanks.

    lafill, Jun 15, 2012
  10. lafill

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jrfqdn$gbu$>,
    lafill <> wrote:

    > On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<jre9ad$432$>,
    > > lafill<> wrote:

    > >> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
    > >>

    > > My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
    > > finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
    > > Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
    > >
    > > Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
    > > saving - to see if the behaviour continues?
    > >

    > I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
    > the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
    > possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
    > I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
    > to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
    > result. What are your settings?

    Those whom I have told this very personal and secret information are
    mostly ... let's say... not with us any more, but I will make an
    exception for you:

    Sliders:

    Computer sleep: 15 min

    Display sleep: 5 min

    Tick boxes:

    Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible: ticked

    Wake for network activity: unticked

    Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep: ticked

    The slider is visually inaccurate on my setup, it's halfway between 1
    min and 15 min for 5 min! So watch for this poor bit of
    implementation, look at the popup text that changes at the far right
    when you hold the mouse button down on the slider nob.

    There are some other hidden implementations which are not just poor
    but a bit cheeky and in some cases diabolical. For example, if you put
    the slider on one position on my machine, the text reads:

    "I got out of this truck in this 2-bit
    town, I got no money and no prospects. What I
    need right now is a stiff drink, a cold
    shower and a hot broad. I'll take them in any
    order they come. O yeah, one other thing I
    need - an angle. I was thinking, if it wasn't
    for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at
    all.

    "Either my luck had changed or fate just
    bought me another round of trouble. She kept
    yammering the whole time. But her hips were
    doing the talking. It couldn't have been any
    clearer what the setup was. The next move was
    up to me"

    STOP! HOLD IT! TIMES UP!"

    The more diabolical one is like this: at just one very particular
    position, if you have a cat, a small fire breaks out on its tail and
    you cannot help but panic and catch the animal and put it out. The
    really curious thing is that the fire never gets bigger or smaller if
    left alone and and never seems to bother the cat and never seems to
    set anything else on fire.

    Those Apple Mac coders!

    The other thing to watch for, it defies easy understanding: if you log
    out and back in, things can happen to these settings, especially the
    tick boxes so keep this in mind and take a peek at your settings every
    now and then.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 16, 2012
  11. lafill

    lafill Guest

    On 6/15/12 4:58 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<jrfqdn$gbu$>,
    > lafill<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:

    > There are some other hidden implementations which are not just poor
    > but a bit cheeky and in some cases diabolical. For example, if you put
    > the slider on one position on my machine, the text reads:
    >
    > "I got out of this truck in this 2-bit
    > town, I got no money and no prospects. What I
    > need right now is a stiff drink, a cold
    > shower and a hot broad. I'll take them in any
    > order they come. O yeah, one other thing I
    > need - an angle. I was thinking, if it wasn't
    > for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at
    > all.
    >
    > "Either my luck had changed or fate just
    > bought me another round of trouble. She kept
    > yammering the whole time. But her hips were
    > doing the talking. It couldn't have been any
    > clearer what the setup was. The next move was
    > up to me"

    Wow, shades of Raymond Chandler! Or, Ross Macdonald who I like even more.

    > STOP! HOLD IT! TIMES UP!"
    >
    > The more diabolical one is like this: at just one very particular
    > position, if you have a cat, a small fire breaks out on its tail and
    > you cannot help but panic and catch the animal and put it out. The
    > really curious thing is that the fire never gets bigger or smaller if
    > left alone and and never seems to bother the cat and never seems to
    > set anything else on fire.
    >
    > Those Apple Mac coders!

    Magic?

    > The other thing to watch for, it defies easy understanding: if you log
    > out and back in, things can happen to these settings, especially the
    > tick boxes so keep this in mind and take a peek at your settings every
    > now and then.

    I will do that assuming my octogenarian brain remembers.

    lafill, Jun 16, 2012