    1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
    2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

    - Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Thomas Maier-Komor

    Rich Teer Guest

    Rich Teer, Jul 1, 2008

  3. Thomas Maier-Komor

    Huge Guest

    On 2008-07-01, Rich Teer <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >
    >> 1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
    >> 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

    > I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
    > stuff.

    *grin*

    After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my wireless access
    point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every intention
    of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.

    Ditto Belkin, BTW.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
    Huge, Jul 2, 2008
  4. Huge schrieb:
    > On 2008-07-01, Rich Teer <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
    >>> 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

    >> I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
    >> stuff.

    > *grin*
    >
    > After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my wireless access
    > point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every intention
    > of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
    >
    > Ditto Belkin, BTW.

    hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable. But
    spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my purposes...

    So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2, ...

    Any recommendations?

    TIA,
    Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    > Huge schrieb:

    >>> I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
    >>> stuff.

    >> *grin*
    >>
    >> After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my
    >> wireless access
    >> point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every
    >> intention
    >> of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
    >>
    >> Ditto Belkin, BTW.
    >>

    > hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable. But
    > spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my purposes...
    >
    > So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2, ...
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Thomas

    Hello,

    How about netgear 8port managed gig switch?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122203

    For a little more money there is also the HP J9029A ProCurve 8port gig
    switch
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053

    Newegg has quite a few listed.

    I've had bad times with 3com *alot of hardware failures when we used
    them with some E10K's a number of years ago. Never heard of Asus making
    network gear (I thought they just made system boards for PC's?)

    My personal preference is for Cisco gear but even on ebay cisco gig
    switches are kinda pricey.

    -CN
    Christopher Noyes, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Christopher Noyes schrieb:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >> Huge schrieb:

    >>> *grin*
    >>>
    >>> After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my
    >>> wireless access
    >>> point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have
    >>> every intention
    >>> of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
    >>>
    >>> Ditto Belkin, BTW.
    >>>

    >> hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable.
    >> But spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my
    >> purposes...
    >>
    >> So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2,
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Thomas

    > Hello,
    >
    > How about netgear 8port managed gig switch?
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122203
    >
    > For a little more money there is also the HP J9029A ProCurve 8port gig
    > switch
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053
    >
    > Newegg has quite a few listed.
    >
    > I've had bad times with 3com *alot of hardware failures when we used
    > them with some E10K's a number of years ago. Never heard of Asus making
    > network gear (I thought they just made system boards for PC's?)
    >
    > My personal preference is for Cisco gear but even on ebay cisco gig
    > switches are kinda pricey.
    >

    > -CN

    thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth the
    investment.

    Cheers,
    Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Thomas Maier-Komor

    ChrisQ Guest

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    > thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
    > the investment.
    >
    > Cheers, Thomas

    Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
    tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
    all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
    switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
    it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
    software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
    same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
    say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
    to a faulty cable.

    I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
    similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
    early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
    completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
    the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
    5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
    domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

    Regards,

    Chris
    ChrisQ, Jul 3, 2008
  8. ChrisQ wrote:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >

    >> thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
    >> the investment.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Thomas

    > Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
    > tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
    > all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
    > switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
    > it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
    > software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
    > same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
    > say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
    > to a faulty cable.
    >
    > I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
    > similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
    > early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
    > completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
    > the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
    > 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
    > domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Chris

    The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
    different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
    power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
    connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
    to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
    still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
    FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.

    Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
    it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
    instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.

    I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
    a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
    guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
    will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!

    I'm really clueless with this issue.

    Cheers,
    Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 4, 2008
  9. Thomas Maier-Komor

    AGT Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:17:08 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    > ChrisQ wrote:
    >> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >>> thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
    >>> the investment.
    >>>

    >> Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
    >> tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
    >> all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
    >> switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
    >> it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
    >> software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
    >> same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
    >> say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
    >> to a faulty cable.
    >>
    >> I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
    >> similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
    >> early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
    >> completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
    >> the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
    >> 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
    >> domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

    > The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
    > different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
    > power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
    > connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
    > to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
    > still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
    > FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.
    >
    > Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
    > it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
    > instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.
    > I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
    > a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
    > guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
    > will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!
    > I'm really clueless with this issue.

    Im using both 100 and 1000 mb/s DLinks (3) and they all work fine
    The cheapest ones I could find too
    Theyre better than some 6 figure Cisco switches Ive encountered : <
    Note your FritzBox hub works so plug the laptop in it and
    daisy chain the hub to one of switches : >
    AGT, Jul 4, 2008
  10. AGT schrieb:
    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:17:08 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >
    >> ChrisQ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
    >>> tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
    >>> all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
    >>> switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
    >>> it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
    >>> software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
    >>> same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
    >>> say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
    >>> to a faulty cable.
    >>>
    >>> I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
    >>> similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
    >>> early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
    >>> completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
    >>> the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
    >>> 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
    >>> domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

    >> The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
    >> different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
    >> power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
    >> connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
    >> to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
    >> still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
    >> FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.
    >>
    >> Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
    >> it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
    >> instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.
    >> I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
    >> a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
    >> guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
    >> will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!
    >> I'm really clueless with this issue.

    > Im using both 100 and 1000 mb/s DLinks (3) and they all work fine
    > The cheapest ones I could find too
    > Theyre better than some 6 figure Cisco switches Ive encountered : <
    > Note your FritzBox hub works so plug the laptop in it and
    > daisy chain the hub to one of switches : >

    The FritzBox is attached to the DLink device anyway, because it is my
    router. But the FritzBox only has 100Mb/s ports, and I really would
    prefer a 1Gb/s connection for my laptop...
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 4, 2008
  11. Thomas Maier-Komor

    ChrisQ Guest

    Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    > The FritzBox is attached to the DLink device anyway, because it is my
    > router. But the FritzBox only has 100Mb/s ports, and I really would
    > prefer a 1Gb/s connection for my laptop...

    I doubt if you need 1Gb/s link - a 100Mb/s network is very unlikely to
    saturated talking to a dsl or cable modem, unless you have a
    8Mb/s or better service. Even if your isp is selling you this, sustained
    bandwidth is often much less and depends on the contention ratio.

    Chris
    ChrisQ, Jul 4, 2008
  12. ChrisQ schrieb:
    > Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >

    >> The FritzBox is attached to the DLink device anyway, because it is my
    >> router. But the FritzBox only has 100Mb/s ports, and I really would
    >> prefer a 1Gb/s connection for my laptop...

    > I doubt if you need 1Gb/s link - a 100Mb/s network is very unlikely to
    > saturated talking to a dsl or cable modem, unless you have a
    > 8Mb/s or better service. Even if your isp is selling you this, sustained
    > bandwidth is often much less and depends on the contention ratio.
    >
    > Chris

    I use this gigabit link for backing up my laptop and accessing nfs
    mounts and network shares...

    - Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 4, 2008
  13. Thomas Maier-Komor

    AGT Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:15:07 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

    > ChrisQ schrieb:
    >> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >>> The FritzBox is attached to the DLink device anyway, because it is my
    >>> router. But the FritzBox only has 100Mb/s ports, and I really would
    >>> prefer a 1Gb/s connection for my laptop...

    I think we all would.
    >> I doubt if you need 1Gb/s link - a 100Mb/s network is very unlikely to
    >> saturated talking to a dsl or cable modem, unless you have a
    >> 8Mb/s or better service. Even if your isp is selling you this, sustained
    >> bandwidth is often much less and depends on the contention ratio.

    Seems like the OP's talking internal
    > I use this gigabit link for backing up my laptop and accessing nfs
    > mounts and network shares...

    Yuk. : >
    I have a mixed env too and find that Solaris-iMac-FeeCee Im never
    anywhere near 10x the speed of 100mb/s esp. when doing an ssh or
    scp session. Even binary ftp transfers. YMMV

    As I said my DLink DGS-100 works just fine.
    AGT, Jul 4, 2008
  14. * Thomas Maier-Komor:

    > 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

    Made very good experience with gear from Level One on several occasions.

    You'll find that some of their ICs are also used by big names like Cisco.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 6, 2008
  15. AGT wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:15:07 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
    >
    >> ChrisQ schrieb:

    > I think we all would.
    >>> I doubt if you need 1Gb/s link - a 100Mb/s network is very unlikely to
    >>> saturated talking to a dsl or cable modem, unless you have a
    >>> 8Mb/s or better service. Even if your isp is selling you this, sustained
    >>> bandwidth is often much less and depends on the contention ratio.

    > Seems like the OP's talking internal
    >> I use this gigabit link for backing up my laptop and accessing nfs
    >> mounts and network shares...

    > Yuk. : >
    > I have a mixed env too and find that Solaris-iMac-FeeCee Im never
    > anywhere near 10x the speed of 100mb/s esp. when doing an ssh or
    > scp session. Even binary ftp transfers. YMMV
    >
    > As I said my DLink DGS-100 works just fine.

    yet, another cable and things work find... Grmph.

    Backup speed is now @ ~30-50MB/s - so far beyond what I'd get from a
    100Mb/s switch. But this isn't an OS backup and the files are quite
    large. Reading small files from a typical laptop disc would show a quite
    different performance - that's clear...

    - Thomas
    Thomas Maier-Komor, Jul 21, 2008