    Or is there another option?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Apr 19, 2008

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message news:ESpOj.7$...
    >> This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can
    >> "slipstream" the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing. Is there somewhere I can purchase or download
    >> an image of a WinXP SP2 cd with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with install code) Or is there a
    >> "Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere online????
    >>
    >> Or is there another option?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken K

    > If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the flash drive, enable it
    > in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.

    All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
    what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

    Ken, Apr 20, 2008

  3. I built a new computer last Fall with an Intel DP35DP MB, installing
    WinXP-SP2 (retail) via an IDE ODD onto a SATA HDD. RAID/AHCI was specified
    in the BIOS.

    I needed to load the necessary drivers at WinXP F6 install time. A USB
    flash drive was not recognized (but is for a Vista install) but a USB FDD
    was recognized during the base WinXp install ... but only if it is a
    supported model, see KB916196 for details. I bought a supported IBM (TEAC)
    USB FDD cheaply and quickly via eBay.

    Past the F6 point in installing the base WinXP, a BSOD a few minutes later
    in the "WinXP Setup" process consistantly stopped me. The BSOD was resolved
    by then using a customized WinXP installation
    CD with SP2 slipstreamed in. "nLite" http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
    easily and correctly produced this CD for an inexperienced me.

    Lately, I see "AutoStreamer" also being mentioned as a good easy way to
    build a WinXP-SP2 installation CD.
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    The system booted fine, all maintenance past SP2 was applied, BIOS and
    drivers were made current, and the IDE ODD was replaced with a SATA ODD.
    Everything still runs fine now.

    --- Frank

    Frank Pajerski, Apr 20, 2008
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Frank Pajerski said the following on 4/19/2008 7:27 PM:
    > I built a new computer last Fall with an Intel DP35DP MB, installing
    > WinXP-SP2 (retail) via an IDE ODD onto a SATA HDD. RAID/AHCI was
    > specified in the BIOS.
    >
    > I needed to load the necessary drivers at WinXP F6 install time. A USB
    > flash drive was not recognized (but is for a Vista install) but a USB
    > FDD was recognized during the base WinXp install ... but only if it is a
    > supported model, see KB916196 for details. I bought a supported IBM
    > (TEAC) USB FDD cheaply and quickly via eBay.
    >
    > Past the F6 point in installing the base WinXP, a BSOD a few minutes
    > later in the "WinXP Setup" process consistantly stopped me. The BSOD
    > was resolved by then using a customized WinXP installation
    > CD with SP2 slipstreamed in. "nLite" http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
    > easily and correctly produced this CD for an inexperienced me.
    >
    > Lately, I see "AutoStreamer" also being mentioned as a good easy way to
    > build a WinXP-SP2 installation CD.
    > http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html
    >

    > The system booted fine, all maintenance past SP2 was applied, BIOS and
    > drivers were made current, and the IDE ODD was replaced with a SATA ODD.
    > Everything still runs fine now.
    >
    > --- Frank
    >
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >> Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
    >>> "Ken" <> wrote in message

    >>> If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the
    >>> flash drive, enable it
    >>> in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.
    >>>

    >> All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
    >> what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

    Frank,

    Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I am not planning on a RAID
    array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
    installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
    whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
    there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
    settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
    recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
    the slipstreaming issue. Another workaround would be to do an install
    on an IDE drive then clone the drive on a SATA drive after the RAID/SATA
    drives have been installed, although that would be a little time-consuming.

    Thanks for the reference to the Windows knowledge base article and to
    nLite. I have this coming week off and will play around trying to
    create a slipstreamed install disk.

    Ken K

    Ken, Apr 20, 2008
  5. On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken <> wrote:

    >I am not planning on a RAID
    >array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
    >installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
    >whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
    >there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
    >settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
    >recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
    >the slipstreaming issue.

    You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
    Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
    drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled in
    the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see the
    SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
    configured as IDE, your system won't boot.

    My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the BIOS
    as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
    Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2 present.
    Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
    all over.

    https://www.mixmaster.it

    George Orwell, Apr 20, 2008
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    George Orwell said the following on 4/20/2008 11:38 AM:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am not planning on a RAID
    >> array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
    >> installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
    >> whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
    >> there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
    >> settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
    >> recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
    >> the slipstreaming issue.

    > You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
    > Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
    > drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled in
    > the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see the
    > SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
    > configured as IDE, your system won't boot.
    >
    > My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the BIOS
    > as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
    > Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2 present.
    > Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
    > all over.
    >
    > Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
    > non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
    > reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
    > di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
    > Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
    > https://www.mixmaster.it

    My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go to
    Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose IDE, as
    opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward

    That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS.
    Should I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues
    that I should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS
    upgrade or should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops?
    Looks like it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from within
    Windows. (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed by
    booting with a floppy).

    Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.

    Ken K

    Ken, Apr 20, 2008
  7. I think that I just used the BIOS settings as they were, and with SATA/AHCI
    specified (thinking that this gives me the best performance and covers RAID
    usage if/when I want it). I'm new to all this, and so only made a few
    changes when required or until I finally understood the matter. Last fall,
    my DP35DP was delivered with a real early BIOS (0216, May2007). That very
    early level worked OK. Now, under WinXP, the BIOS upgrade is merely
    executing the downloaded file and watching things run for two minutes ...
    piece of cake.

    But to tell you about another DP35DP problem that may not be unique to me
    I first installed Vista, no problem doing so, and ran it for a week before
    giving up on it ... it was just too annoying to be tolerated.
    I then installed WinXP-SP2 to another HDD as previously described. Now, the
    "audio" controller is not seen and thus the audio-drive install failed. I
    emailed back and forth with Intel for a week with such frustration and no
    progress that I was then happy to bypass/fix this problem by spending $30
    for an audio card.

    --- Frank

    Frank Pajerski, Apr 20, 2008
  8. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Frank Pajerski said the following on 4/20/2008 2:21 PM:
> [...]
    >>> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
    >>> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
    >>> https://www.mixmaster.it

    >> My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go
    >> to Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose
    >> IDE, as opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward
    >>
    >> That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS.
    >> Should I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues
    >> that I should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS
    >> upgrade or should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops?
    >> Looks like it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from
    >> within Windows. (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed
    >> by booting with a floppy).
    >>
    >> Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.

    Thanks for the heads-up, Frank. As I see it, I can choose SATA as IDE
    for my initial install and then I should be able to install the RAID
    drivers any time I wish.

    The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
    It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what
    I would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.

    Ken

    Ken, Apr 20, 2008
  9. Just keep things simple, don't do more than you have to.

    But I would think that building a WinXP-SP2 installation CVD via nLite or
    AutoStreamer would be worth the easy trouble. And if your HDD is larger
    than a certain size (I don't have these numbers on hand), it may be
    necessary so that the full capacity of the HDD is seen. I'm sure someone
    can expand on this.

    --- Frank

    Frank Pajerski, Apr 21, 2008
  10. On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:17:07 -0700, Ken <> wrote:

    >The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
    >It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what
    >I would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.

    I've installed two of these motherboards and haven't had a problem with the
    on-board audio or any other feature. One critical thing to install as soon
    as you've completed installation of XP and everything is all settled down
    is the chipset INF utility. The version on the DP35DP download page is
    8.4.0.1016 8/29/2007.

    After you run the inf utility a lot of problems that may exist including
    unrecognized hardware will resolve. Then you proceed with installing
    drivers for audio, LAN, and video. There are new intel drivers for audio
    and LAN on the intel download page so it may be a good idea to get them
    prior to starting your project.

    https://www.mixmaster.it

    George Orwell, Apr 21, 2008
  11. Ken

    Richard Herb Guest

    please do not install obsolete operating systems

    This is 2008

    We are running the Feb 2008 release of Vista Ultimate off
    supertorrents.
    and the 2.1 gig pack of dreamscenes.

    sata RAID 0 on the C Drive(s)

    Richard Herb, Apr 22, 2008
  12. Ken

    Nate Edel Guest

    Richard Herb <> wrote:
    > please do not install obsolete operating systems

    XP is no more obsolete than Vista.

    Better yet, though, please don't run Microsoft operating systems.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
    preferred email |

    Nate Edel, Apr 22, 2008
  13. Ken

    Richard Herb Guest

    On Apr 22, 6:31 pm, (Nate Edel) wrote:
    > Richard Herb <> wrote:
    > > please do not install obsolete operating systems

    > XP is no more obsolete than Vista.
    >
    > Better yet, though, please don't run Microsoft operating systems.

    please dont run Microsoft operating systems??

    sorry, I live in the real world

    I'm not a geek

    I dont recompile kernals

    and I DONT DO COMMAND LINE!!