    into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two devices connected
    to it)?

    John.

    Bioboffin, Apr 13, 2006

  2. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:35 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

    > I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very pleased with
    > it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE connectors and the
    > boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25 seconds (I have set the IDE scan
    > detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from plugging
    > into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two devices connected
    > to it)?

    Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

    Anthony Horan, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Bioboffin

    Bioboffin Guest

    Anthony Horan wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:35 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:
    >
    >> I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very
    >> pleased with it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE
    >> connectors and the boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25
    >> seconds (I have set the IDE scan detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from
    >> plugging into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two
    >> devices connected to it)?

    > Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

    Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the BIOS,
    but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only the option to
    quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little difference).

    Bioboffin, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Bioboffin

    Cartwright Guest

    Cartwright, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Bioboffin

    Cartwright Guest

    Hi,
    I'm also having the same problem with a new system I built last week
    with the ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe mobo. Everything works great, but the 30
    second IDE scan is a bit long.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, CW

    Cartwright, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Bioboffin

    Cartwright Guest

    Hi,
    I just built a new system last week with the same problem. I have an
    ASUS P5LD2 mobo.
    Everything works great, but the 30 second IDE scan seems too long. Any
    ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Cartwright

    Cartwright, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Bioboffin

    Bioboffin Guest

    Cartwright wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just built a new system last week with the same problem. I have an
    > ASUS P5LD2 mobo.
    > Everything works great, but the 30 second IDE scan seems too long.
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    > Cartwright

    I have solved my own problem. First set the ide scan time from its default
    to 0s in the BIOS (as mentioned some time ago on this forum). That was not
    the solution for me, though. I realised that the problem was not the ide
    scan itself, but something happening afterwards. In my case I installed
    64bit drivers for the iomega zip atapi drive which I have installed (but not
    on the red ITE connectors). This cured the problem. I think it may have been
    because I had previously attempted to install the 32bit driver which was
    blocked by Win x64 and that 'corrupted' driver was causing the delay.
    Putting in new working drivers meant that the system could boot up normally.

    Another curiosity that I discovered was that on p.2-29 of the motherboard
    manual it states quite clearly that the red (ITE) connectors do not support
    ATAPI devices. I have an ATAPI DVD-RAM plugged in, and it works just fine,
    appearing as a SCSI drive in Device manager. For a while I thought that it
    was causing the hang, but apparently not.

    John

    Bioboffin, Apr 15, 2006
  8. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:22:21 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

    > Anthony Horan wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

    > Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the BIOS,
    > but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only the option to
    > quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little difference).

    What I mean is disable the IDE ports that aren't being used, rather than
    leaving them on auto-detect.

    Anthony Horan, Apr 15, 2006
  9. Bioboffin

    Bioboffin Guest

    Anthony Horan wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:22:21 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:
    >
    >> Anthony Horan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

    >> Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the
    >> BIOS, but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only
    >> the option to quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little
    >> difference).

    > What I mean is disable the IDE ports that aren't being used, rather
    > than leaving them on auto-detect.

    Thanks. That's not possible, I'm afraid. However I solved the problem, which
    appeared to be due to a corrupted (Iomega Zip drive) driver. Its fine now.

    John.

    Bioboffin, Apr 15, 2006
  10. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:07:51 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

    (And yes, you solved it before my last post! :)

    > Another curiosity that I discovered was that on p.2-29 of the motherboard
    > manual it states quite clearly that the red (ITE) connectors do not support
    > ATAPI devices. I have an ATAPI DVD-RAM plugged in, and it works just fine,
    > appearing as a SCSI drive in Device manager.

    From what I've been able to establish, I think the ITE ports actually do
    happily run ATAPI devices, but cannot boot from them.

    Anthony Horan, Apr 15, 2006
  11. Bioboffin

    Jackpine Guest

    > From what I've been able to establish, I think the ITE port
    actually d
    > happily run ATAPI devices, but cannot boot from them

    I have been trying to determine that for some time now (running ATAP
    devices on the red PRI_EIDE and SEC_EIDE connectors). What you ar
    saying is consistent with what I have heard from two other sources

    I wish the mobo manual had actually said that, instead of jus
    indicating that those particular connectors do not support ATAP
    devices

    By the way, in order to run, let's say, a DVD/RW drive from one o
    those connectors, is it necessary to install any particular drive
    during the boot process

    Jackpine, May 11, 2006
  12. On Thu, 11 May 2006 03:34:23 GMT, Jackpine wrote:

    >> From what I've been able to establish, I think the ITE ports actually do
    >> happily run ATAPI devices, but cannot boot from them.

    > I have been trying to determine that for some time now (running ATAPI
    > devices on the red PRI_EIDE and SEC_EIDE connectors). What you are
    > saying is consistent with what I have heard from two other sources.
    >
    > I wish the mobo manual had actually said that, instead of just
    > indicating that those particular connectors do not support ATAPI
    > devices.

    Yep, I found that surprising as well. While I'm not runnign ATAPI devices
    off the ITE ports at the moment, I'm assured by others who are doing so
    that I can, which is a good thing.

    I agree - from reading the manual, you simply assume you can't use ATAPI
    devices on those ports at all.

    > By the way, in order to run, let's say, a DVD/RW drive from one of
    > those connectors, is it necessary to install any particular driver
    > during the boot process?

    My memory's hazy on that (hey,I built this machine last November :) but if
    XP's setup CD doesn't have the ITE drivers on it, Asus provide them on a CD
    (and there are newer drivers than that available through Windows Update).

    I doubt anything extra is needed aside from the standard ITE drivers.

    Anthony Horan, May 11, 2006
  13. Bioboffin

    Bioboffin Guest

    Jackpine wrote:
    >> From what I've been able to establish, I think the ITE ports
    >> actually do happily run ATAPI devices, but cannot boot from them.

    > I have been trying to determine that for some time now (running ATAPI
    > devices on the red PRI_EIDE and SEC_EIDE connectors). What you are
    > saying is consistent with what I have heard from two other sources.
    >
    > I wish the mobo manual had actually said that, instead of just
    > indicating that those particular connectors do not support ATAPI
    > devices.
    >
    > By the way, in order to run, let's say, a DVD/RW drive from one of
    > those connectors, is it necessary to install any particular driver
    > during the boot process?

    You need to install the ITE drivers at F6 on the boot process. (If you have
    two sets of drivers to install - e.g. the ICHR drivers too) make sure you
    haven't put the floppy into the drive before pressing F6, otherwise it will
    only install the ones in the drive at the time! (learnt the hard way).

    John.

    Bioboffin, May 11, 2006