    So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?

    Thanks for suggestions,
    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Paul D.Smith

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:46dd36e4$0$310$...
    > Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    > PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    > DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.
    >
    > I ask because I've been discussing some hardware issues with a group that
    > uses PCs to drive knitting and sewing machines and the old programs these
    > use do nasty timing related loops etc. that fail completely on modern PCs.
    > Some programs also access hardware in ways that don't work with WinXP etc
    > (i.e. cannot handle ANY delays caused whilst WinXP is busy multi-tasking).
    >
    > So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?

    Try here:

    http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Paul D.Smith, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Paul D.Smith

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> writes:

    > Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    > PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    > DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.
    >
    > I ask because I've been discussing some hardware issues with a group that
    > uses PCs to drive knitting and sewing machines and the old programs these
    > use do nasty timing related loops etc. that fail completely on modern PCs.
    > Some programs also access hardware in ways that don't work with WinXP etc
    > (i.e. cannot handle ANY delays caused whilst WinXP is busy multi-tasking).
    >
    > So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?

    Don't know if these would meet your needs, but it is possible to buy
    computers with pretty much the capabilities of an old PC very
    cheaply -- start by looking in the ads in the back of Circuit Cellar
    magazine.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Sep 4, 2007
  5. Paul D.Smith

    johannes Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" wrote:

    > Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    > PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    > DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.
    >
    > I ask because I've been discussing some hardware issues with a group that
    > uses PCs to drive knitting and sewing machines and the old programs these
    > use do nasty timing related loops etc. that fail completely on modern PCs.
    > Some programs also access hardware in ways that don't work with WinXP etc
    > (i.e. cannot handle ANY delays caused whilst WinXP is busy multi-tasking).
    >
    > So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?
    >
    > Thanks for suggestions,
    > Paul DS.

    Reduce the buss frequency in BIOS. I can also change priority of
    processes in the process manager.

    johannes, Sep 4, 2007
  6. Paul D.Smith

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Paul D.Smith <> wrote:
    > Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    > PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    > DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.

    > I ask because I've been discussing some hardware issues with a group that
    > uses PCs to drive knitting and sewing machines and the old programs these
    > use do nasty timing related loops etc. that fail completely on modern PCs.
    > Some programs also access hardware in ways that don't work with WinXP etc
    > (i.e. cannot handle ANY delays caused whilst WinXP is busy multi-tasking).

    > So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?

    > Thanks for suggestions,
    > Paul DS.

    Look at vendors of industrial PCs. You might be able to get new
    hardware that performs exactly as you need it to without any need
    to slow it down. You are not the only ones that need to replace
    older PC hardware with similar hardware. There is a market for it.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 5, 2007
  7. Paul D.Smith

    Trent Guest

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:43:49 +0100 "Paul D.Smith"
    <> wrote in Message id:
    <46dd36e4$0$310$>:

    >Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    >PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    >DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.
    >
    >I ask because I've been discussing some hardware issues with a group that
    >uses PCs to drive knitting and sewing machines and the old programs these
    >use do nasty timing related loops etc. that fail completely on modern PCs.
    >Some programs also access hardware in ways that don't work with WinXP etc
    >(i.e. cannot handle ANY delays caused whilst WinXP is busy multi-tasking).
    >
    >So, is it possible to make modern PCs run VERY slowly?

    Turn off all the caches and shadowing in the BIOS setup. Underclock as
    much as possible.

    Trent, Sep 5, 2007
  8. Paul D.Smith

    Juarez Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:43:49 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

    > Anyone know how to slow down a modern PC so that it runs as like "ye olde
    > PC" as possible? The modern PC also needs to be running straight forward
    > DOS so the common Windows utilities would be of no use.

    You could run your Dos programs using the Dos emulator DosBox. Because it
    is an emulator it runs quite a bit slower than real dos and it also has
    options to slow down or speed up the rate the dos game/app runs at.

    Juarez, Sep 8, 2007