    Thanks,

    ME-262
    , Jun 12, 2006

  2. Eric Parker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP ze1230 laptop with AMD Athlon XP 1300+. The machine

    is
    > giving random strange answers to some numerical problems. I checked

    the
    > same program on 3 other computers and none had any problems.
    >
    > The machine is running hot. I placed it in a fridge but made no
    > difference. I want to try out slowing it down and see if the problem
    > will go away. How can I slow down the clocking speed?
    >
    > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Is there a place I can get

    > cheap older CPU? ( AMD Athlon XP 1300+.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ME-262

    You can test your CPU with prime95. Just run the torture test.
    Have you tried cleaning the laptop ? Remove any dust etc. that has
    built up.
    Do you know how hot the CPU is ? Motherboard monitor may tell you.
    Ebay may be a source if it is the CPU.
    If you give your location, you may get more advice.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly
    Eric Parker, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP ze1230 laptop with AMD Athlon XP 1300+. The machine is
    > giving random strange answers to some numerical problems. I checked the
    > same program on 3 other computers and none had any problems.
    >
    > The machine is running hot. I placed it in a fridge but made no
    > difference. I want to try out slowing it down and see if the problem
    > will go away. How can I slow down the clocking speed?
    >
    > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Is there a place I can get a
    > cheap older CPU? ( AMD Athlon XP 1300+.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ME-262

    I downloaded a manual, and page 27 says there is a diagnostic
    tool (eDiagTools). I have no idea what the tool tests, but it is
    free, so why not.

    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpi06522.pdf

    After running that tool, here are some other tools you can try.

    1) memtest86+ ( www.memtest.org ). This program tests all the
    memory on the computer. There is a version that will format
    a test floppy for you, and another version you can burn to
    a test CD. The test floppy version will boot the machine,
    and a 640x480 diagnostic screen will appear. All the test
    to run for two complete passes. This could take a couple
    hours. Any errors at all, is unacceptable. The main value
    of memtest86+, is finding consistent "stuck-at" errors in
    the memory, and other tests actually do a better job of
    finding random errors.

    2) Prime95 "torture test" ( www.mersenne.org ). Prime95 is a
    numeric test, where the answer is known. The program basically
    uses a chunk of memory (the size of which can be set by the
    user). If a processor is unstable, Prime95 will stop with an
    error in seconds. If the program will pass an overnight run
    without errors, then chances are the processor and memory
    are in good shape.

    Since it sounds like the computer is thermally compromised, before
    using Prime95, I'd want a temperature monitoring program running
    on the laptop at the same time. That will allow you to monitor
    how hot the processor gets at full CPU load.

    It could be that some part of the cooling system is clogged with
    dust, and the machine is overheating. In which case, a cleaning
    may be called for.

    I don't know how easy it will be to find an exact replacement
    processor. It would be tempting to put something more recent
    in it, but I doubt the BIOS would recognize the processor.
    Ebay might be the only way to find one.

    Get a copy of CPUZ, and note the particulars for the processor.
    It is either that, or remove the heatsink from the CPU, and
    read the label on the processor - the OPN code should be on there.

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    This page has some 1333MHz processors on it, but I don't know
    if your processor is some kind of mobile chip, or a regular
    chip. i'm surprised a page like this is still around.

    http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/2786-1.htm

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 12, 2006
  4. user Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP ze1230 laptop with AMD Athlon XP 1300+. The machine is
    > giving random strange answers to some numerical problems. I checked the
    > same program on 3 other computers and none had any problems.
    >
    > The machine is running hot. I placed it in a fridge but made no
    > difference. I want to try out slowing it down and see if the problem
    > will go away. How can I slow down the clocking speed?
    >
    > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Is there a place I can get a
    > cheap older CPU? ( AMD Athlon XP 1300+.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ME-262

    hello bro, i had the same trouble with a customer regarding the same
    problems : Acer Aspire 5002WLCI... AMD turion 64, this tech need a
    memory of 400 MHZ Acer they installed 2X 256MB DDR PC2700 333MHZ, this
    was making the system getting hotter, and the fan was shut instead of
    always on. They say it was repaired but not. we found how to corrected,
    putting a PC3200 DDR one stick of 512MB, we activated the fan, we
    download the cpu driver, we managed the energy to be better controlled...

    go to http://www.cpuid.com , check the bus speed of your memory if is
    lower then get memory at the same speed then the board, download drivers
    from AMD.com to help the cpu working better, see if you can activate the
    fan if is off, then its ok keep it on. //www.amd.com ... see if your
    battery still good.

    Laptops as Acer, Compaq, HP, Dell ... they cheat inside laptop they put
    normaly like acer cheap chipset SIS, what the hell is this chipset,
    Event ethiopia will refuse it. depend what you wanna spend also still
    its not nice to play us.

    IF not replying Happy independance day to all American, salut all bro
    user, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Paul wrote:

    > 2) Prime95 "torture test" ( www.mersenne.org ). Prime95 is a
    > numeric test, where the answer is known. The program basically
    > uses a chunk of memory (the size of which can be set by the
    > user). If a processor is unstable, Prime95 will stop with an
    > error in seconds. If the program will pass an overnight run
    > without errors, then chances are the processor and memory
    > are in good shape.

    That *might* only exercise the integer units, not the floating point units.

    Clearly primes and composites numbers are integers and so not floats.
    But if the the numbers the OP are having problems with are irrational
    (i.e. you need to use a floating point processor to represent them), the
    test might not be appropriate.

    However, the test might well use floats, as testing for large primes is
    normally a probabilistic test. (I suspect that means you need irrational
    numbers, but I don't know, as I have never looked at the details).

    However, if one needs to use arbitrary precision floating point
    arithmetic (i.e. highly accurate), then that too would be implemented in
    integers.

    So such a test might not be appropriate. Sure I know a lot of people use
    it, but it was written to test PCs for the purpose of evaluating if they
    were up to the job of prime number testing, not as a general test tool
    for extensively testing PCs.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)
    Dave (from the UK), Jun 21, 2006
  6. Eric Parker Guest

    "Dave (from the UK)"
    <> wrote in message
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    > > 2) Prime95 "torture test" ( www.mersenne.org ). Prime95 is a
    > > numeric test, where the answer is known. The program basically
    > > uses a chunk of memory (the size of which can be set by the
    > > user). If a processor is unstable, Prime95 will stop with an
    > > error in seconds. If the program will pass an overnight run
    > > without errors, then chances are the processor and memory
    > > are in good shape.

    > That *might* only exercise the integer units, not the floating point

    units.

    > Clearly primes and composites numbers are integers and so not

    floats.
    > But if the the numbers the OP are having problems with are

    irrational
    > (i.e. you need to use a floating point processor to represent them),

    the
    > test might not be appropriate.
    >
    > However, the test might well use floats, as testing for large primes

    is
    > normally a probabilistic test. (I suspect that means you need

    irrational
    > numbers, but I don't know, as I have never looked at the details).
    >
    > However, if one needs to use arbitrary precision floating point
    > arithmetic (i.e. highly accurate), then that too would be

    implemented in
    > integers.
    >
    > So such a test might not be appropriate. Sure I know a lot of people

    use
    > it, but it was written to test PCs for the purpose of evaluating if

    they
    > were up to the job of prime number testing, not as a general test

    tool
    > for extensively testing PCs.

    Dave

    The portion of Prime95 I use to test PC processor & memory is called
    torture test.
    I don't think it has anything to do with primes.
    The description states "In-place FFTs (max heat, power consumed,
    some RAM tested)".
    When I was doing FFTs they used floating point ops intensively.
    I can't guarantee that Prime95 does - that's not particularly
    important to
    me.
    What Prime95 torture test does for me is that it's the best test tool
    I have
    for heating up processors, while at the same time checking that they
    are
    producing the expected results.
    A couple of passes of Memtest86, an overnight run of the torture test
    and
    I feel reasonably happy that the system processor & memory are OK.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly
    Eric Parker, Jun 21, 2006