    RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
    and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    Don Gravos, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Don Gravos

    Richard Guest

    "Don Gravos" <aaaa> wrote in message
    news:4326f0ab$0$22099$...
    > I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    > RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime

    clock
    > and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    The new AT91SAM7X comes close, but no Linux. Other OS's however. See
    www.freertos.org/portsam7xiar.html

    Regards,
    Richard.

    http://www.FreeRTOS.org

    Richard, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Don Gravos

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Don Gravos

    Tim Auton Guest

    "Don Gravos" <aaaa> wrote:

    >I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
    >and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    >Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    A Gumstix, plus an EtherStix and a Robostix or Audiostix expansion
    boards would give you everything but the realtime clock. The serial
    ports are TTL level though, not RS232. The Robostix board has on
    on-board AVR which provides multiple GPIO and ADC, the Audiostix
    provides fewer A/D and GPIO but saves you having to write for two
    platforms (and you get audio - hence the name).

    It is small (very small) and runs Linux out of the box.

    http://www.gumstix.com/

    Tim
    --
    You are being watched. This gives you power.

    Tim Auton, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Don Gravos wrote:
    > I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    > RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
    > and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    embededarm.com - pretty much everything you need. You will need a
    daughterboard or two.

    Captain Dondo, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Don Gravos

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <4326f0ab$0$22099$>, Don Gravos
    <aaaa@?.?> writes
    >I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
    >and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    >Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    Why running Linux? Takes up a lot of room and adds a layer of
    complexity.

    Just program the board most embedded systems don't have an RTOS anyway.

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Sep 13, 2005
  7. In message <4326f0ab$0$22099$>, "Don Gravos"
    <aaaa> wrote:

    > I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    > RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    > clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    How about the VCMA9? http://www.mpl.ch/t2730.html

    I've used them, although with Nucleus rather than Linux, and they seem quite
    good.
    --
    Dave
    mail da (without the space)

    Dave {Reply Address in.sig}, Sep 13, 2005
  8. Tim Auton wrote:

    > A Gumstix, plus an EtherStix and a Robostix or Audiostix expansion
    > boards would give you everything but the realtime clock. The serial
    > ports are TTL level though, not RS232. The Robostix board has on
    > on-board AVR which provides multiple GPIO and ADC, the Audiostix
    > provides fewer A/D and GPIO but saves you having to write for two
    > platforms (and you get audio - hence the name).

    I like the Gumstix, but they only have USB client.

    I just ordered a Linkxys NSLU2. While this would still need
    something else for ADC and GPIO, it has Ethernet and 2 USB
    ports. It also has 1.5 serial ports (one of them is read
    only.

    And yes, Linux runs on it.

    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/
    --
    http://enerd.ws/robots/
    D. Jay Newman

    D. Jay Newman, Sep 13, 2005
  9. Don Gravos

    Alex Gibson Guest

    "Captain Dondo" <> wrote in message
    > Don Gravos wrote:
    >> I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >> RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    >> clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    >> Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    > embededarm.com - pretty much everything you need. You will need a
    > daughterboard or two.

    http://embeddedarm.com correct link

    Any idea what the IO levels are ?

    Found it in the manual
    http://embeddedarm.com/Manuals/TS-7200_Rev1.3.htm#DIOHeader
    3.3V source 4mA sink 8mA
    not 5v tolerant.

    Alex

    Alex Gibson, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Don Gravos

    Alex Gibson Guest

    >I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    >clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    You mean uclinux or linux ?
    How much do you want to spend ?

    Usb host or just usb for programming / or usb to serial ?

    www.gumstix.com as others have said.

    Otherwise uclinux especially with arm7

    Maybe one of the many lpc2xxx based boards

    www.olimex.com/dev makes a few but not with all the features you want
    buy from sparkfun.com as can order online without faxing credit card details

    http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-e2294.html

    http://www.olimex.com/dev/cs-e9301.html this one may meet your
    requirements
    when its available

    http://www.thearmpatch.com/lpc-sbc2.html

    Blackfin stamp US$169
    500MHz BF533, 128MB sdram , 4MB flash , 10/100 ethernet
    but no usb
    http://www.analog.com/en/epHSProd/0,,BF533-STAMP,00.html
    buy from digikey
    http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff

    http://www.blackfin.uclinux.org/
    http://blackfin.org/

    http://www.revely.com/RMS100/AboutRMS100.htm
    no ethernet (could use an edtp.com packet whacker)
    download gcc port and app notes etc from sharp
    need a free login for the gcc port
    http://www.sharpsma.com/part.php?PartID=167

    Alex

    Alex Gibson, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Don Gravos

    Tim Auton Guest

    "D. Jay Newman" <> wrote:
    >Tim Auton wrote:
    >
    >> A Gumstix, plus an EtherStix and a Robostix or Audiostix expansion
    >> boards would give you everything but the realtime clock. The serial
    >> ports are TTL level though, not RS232. The Robostix board has on
    >> on-board AVR which provides multiple GPIO and ADC, the Audiostix
    >> provides fewer A/D and GPIO but saves you having to write for two
    >> platforms (and you get audio - hence the name).

    >I like the Gumstix, but they only have USB client.

    Oops, just noticed the USB requirement. Yes, the Gumstix folks are
    taking their time over sorting USB host. It's in the pipeline
    allegedly, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Tim
    --
    You are being watched. This gives you power.

    Tim Auton, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Alex Gibson wrote:
    > "Captain Dondo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Don Gravos wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >>>RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    >>>clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    >>>Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    >>embededarm.com - pretty much everything you need. You will need a
    >>daughterboard or two.

    > http://embeddedarm.com correct link
    >
    > Any idea what the IO levels are ?
    >
    > Found it in the manual
    > http://embeddedarm.com/Manuals/TS-7200_Rev1.3.htm#DIOHeader
    > 3.3V source 4mA sink 8mA
    > not 5v tolerant.
    >
    > Alex

    Different parts of the board have different IO levels; 8 pins are 3.3V;
    others are 5V. You will need opto-isolators or similar in the real
    world (but don't you always?) You can also get daughter boards with 5V DIO.

    I have one in hand and am building the power supply as we speak. Nice
    unit, tiny, but I have a bunch of work to do before I start playing with
    it - need to build a DIN rail mount for it, etc.

    Captain Dondo, Sep 14, 2005
  13. www.cogcomp.com : CSB637
    www.mechatronicbrick.dk could do the job with the right motherboard.

    Both have Ethernet, USB Host + Client, 2 UARTs (chips got 4)
    SPI, I2C , GPIO, RTC. No ADC on the mech'brick AFAIK.

    --
    A. P. Richelieu

    A. P. Richelieu, Sep 14, 2005
  14. Don Gravos

    Guest

    There is a growing movement to use one of the wireless routers (like a
    linksys wrt5x?) which is an arm based Linux with a wireless capability
    built in. There are also hardware hacks to add serial ports on the web
    .... and other mods available. This for about $40USD, with power wart,
    enclosure, antenna and all that ... google is your friend ...

    Cheers,
    Rob.

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, it was written:

    > Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:30:47 +1000
    > From: "Don Gravos" <aaaa>
    > Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.robotics.misc
    > Subject: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux
    >
    > I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    > RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
    > and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    , Sep 14, 2005
  15. "Don Gravos" <aaaa> a écrit dans le message de news:
    4326f0ab$0$22099$...
    >I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    >clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    > Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf
    www.compulab.co.il

    Robert Lacoste, Sep 15, 2005
  16. Don Gravos

    Don Gravos Guest

    > 4326f0ab$0$22099$...
    >>I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
    >>RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime
    >>clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
    >> Do you know ARM board with these specs?

    > CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf
    > www.compulab.co.il

    Do they run Linux?

    Don Gravos, Sep 15, 2005
  17. Don Gravos

    larwe Guest

    > > CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf
    > > www.compulab.co.il
    > >

    > Do they run Linux?

    Yes, but that $50 is a bogus price, it's a few thousand dollars to get
    set up and the $50 is only for a mini module that requires a baseboard
    to get any actual functionality.

    larwe, Sep 15, 2005
  18. Don Gravos

    Alex Gibson Guest

    "Alex Gibson" <> wrote in message

    > www.gumstix.com as others have said.
    >
    > Otherwise uclinux especially with arm7
    >
    > Maybe one of the many lpc2xxx based boards
    >
    > www.olimex.com/dev makes a few but not with all the features you want
    > buy from sparkfun.com as can order online without faxing credit card
    > details
    >
    > http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-e2294.html
    >
    > http://www.olimex.com/dev/cs-e9301.html this one may meet your
    > requirements
    > when its available
    >

    > http://www.thearmpatch.com/lpc-sbc2.html
    >

    > Blackfin stamp US$169
    > 500MHz BF533, 128MB sdram , 4MB flash , 10/100 ethernet
    > but no usb
    > http://www.analog.com/en/epHSProd/0,,BF533-STAMP,00.html
    > buy from digikey
    > http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff
    >
    > http://www.blackfin.uclinux.org/
    > http://blackfin.org/
    >

    > http://www.revely.com/RMS100/AboutRMS100.htm
    > no ethernet (could use an edtp.com packet whacker)
    > download gcc port and app notes etc from sharp
    > need a free login for the gcc port
    > http://www.sharpsma.com/part.php?PartID=167
    >
    > Alex

    For full linux

    Etrax from Axis http://developer.axis.com
    More recent chips can run a default 2.6 linux kernel

    The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB
    Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for
    Ethernet-connected Linux systems.
    http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4 16/MCM_datasheet.htm
    http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/index.html

    a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports
    a.. 2 synchronous serial ports
    a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1
    a.. 2 Parallel ports
    a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports
    a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)

    http://developer.axis.com/doc/index.html
    http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/18354_etrax_lx.pdf
    http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4 16/MCM_datasheet.htm

    http://www.acmesystems.it/ A nice small board , and its 5V tolerant

    Alex

    Alex Gibson, Sep 15, 2005
  19. Don Gravos

    Sergio Masci Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Alex Gibson wrote:

    > "Alex Gibson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > www.gumstix.com as others have said.
    > >
    > > Otherwise uclinux especially with arm7
    > >
    > > Maybe one of the many lpc2xxx based boards
    > >
    > > www.olimex.com/dev makes a few but not with all the features you want
    > > buy from sparkfun.com as can order online without faxing credit card
    > > details
    > >
    > > http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-e2294.html
    > >
    > > http://www.olimex.com/dev/cs-e9301.html this one may meet your
    > > requirements
    > > when its available
    > >

    > > http://www.thearmpatch.com/lpc-sbc2.html
    > >

    > > Blackfin stamp US$169
    > > 500MHz BF533, 128MB sdram , 4MB flash , 10/100 ethernet
    > > but no usb
    > > http://www.analog.com/en/epHSProd/0,,BF533-STAMP,00.html
    > > buy from digikey
    > > http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff
    > >
    > > http://www.blackfin.uclinux.org/
    > > http://blackfin.org/
    > >

    > > http://www.revely.com/RMS100/AboutRMS100.htm
    > > no ethernet (could use an edtp.com packet whacker)
    > > download gcc port and app notes etc from sharp
    > > need a free login for the gcc port
    > > http://www.sharpsma.com/part.php?PartID=167
    > >
    > > Alex

    > For full linux
    >
    > Etrax from Axis http://developer.axis.com
    > More recent chips can run a default 2.6 linux kernel
    >
    > The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB
    > Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for
    > Ethernet-connected Linux systems.
    > http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4 16/MCM_datasheet.htm
    > http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/index.html
    >
    > a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports
    > a.. 2 synchronous serial ports
    > a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1
    > a.. 2 Parallel ports
    > a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports
    > a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)
    >
    > http://developer.axis.com/doc/index.html
    > http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/18354_etrax_lx.pdf
    > http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4 16/MCM_datasheet.htm
    >
    > http://www.acmesystems.it/ A nice small board , and its 5V tolerant
    >
    > Alex

    I had a look at axis a little while back but I couldn't find any info on
    the MIPS rating. Also I found that the 10/100 Ethernet is slugged to a max
    2 (or 2.5) MB/s. Somthing to do with the USB interface.

    Regards
    Sergio Masci

    http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
    FREE for personal non-commercial use

    ..

    Sergio Masci, Sep 15, 2005
  20. "larwe" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> > CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf
    >> > www.compulab.co.il
    >> >

    >> Do they run Linux?

    > Yes, but that $50 is a bogus price, it's a few thousand dollars to get
    > set up and the $50 is only for a mini module that requires a baseboard
    > to get any actual functionality.

    A little correction : they are effectively starting arount $50 in volume
    orders (1K), see their prices on their web site. These kind of modules are
    COM, meaninf effectively that they are designed to be fitted, like a
    component, on your application PCB. So yes a baseboard is needed, but it
    could be either a standard one (PC104 or ATX, around $30-$40), or your own
    application PCB.

    Friendly,
    Robert

    Robert Lacoste, Sep 15, 2005