SmartArray 5Si Creating Boot Volume With 32 Sector Offset

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Will, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    The boot volume on a DL585 server with a SmartArray 5Si adapter is being
    created with a 32 sector offset. This is seen under Windows 2003 64-bit
    using Symantec Storage Foundation for Windows Basic 5.0. Every other
    device created under Windows has a 63 sector offset. Even other drives
    created using the same SmartArray controller start at an offset of sector
    63.

    I cannot mirror the system volume as a dynamic disk mirror when the offset
    is under 63. My questions are:

    1) Is the 32 sector offset seen on the boot device a side effect of using
    the "Enable >4GB" boot volume BIOS option for the smartarray? Is there a
    way I can change that setting after the logical drive is initially created?

    2) Is there an straightforward way for me to move the system partition such
    that it has an offset of 63? What utility would be needed for this and I
    guess I would need to make the disk a simple disk instead of dynamic.

    --
    Will

    Will, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Will

    HH Guest

    Will,
    You likely will get a quicker, better answer if you post in
    alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers newsgroup.

    HH

    HH, Aug 31, 2007