SMBIOS on AX4PER reports more RAM than there is

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by DaveE, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. DaveE

    DaveE Guest

    hi,

    I have an AOpen AX4PER motherboard, BIOS revision R1.01, with two 256MB
    DIMMs occupying the first two memory slots. The third slot is empty.

    Windows XP System Information tool reports that I have 4608MB total physical
    memory. The system checker program at www.pcpitstop.com also reports the
    same amount. I tried their SMBIOS tool and it reports the following for the
    memory slots on the motherboard:

    == Memory Controller (type 5, handle 0005, length 22) ==
    Error Detecting Method = None
    Error Correcting Capability = |None|
    Supported Interleave = 1-Way
    Current Interleave = 1-Way
    Max Memory Module Size = 1024 MB
    Supported Speeds = |Other|
    Supported Memory Types = |Other|
    Memory Module Voltage = Supports 3.3V
    Associated Memory Slots = 3

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0006, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A0
    Bank Connections = RAS 0, RAS 1
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|
    Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0007, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A2
    Bank Connections = RAS 2, RAS 3
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|
    Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0008, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A4
    Bank Connections = RAS 4, RAS 5
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|ECC|
    Installed Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    Does anyone have any idea why it is reporting a 4096MB memory module in the
    third slot when that slot is empty, and will this be causing problems with
    my PC?

    TIA
    Dave

    1. Advertising

  2. DaveE

    DaveE Guest

    "DaveE" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > I have an AOpen AX4PER motherboard, BIOS revision R1.01, with two 256MB
    > DIMMs occupying the first two memory slots. The third slot is empty.
    >
    > Windows XP System Information tool reports that I have 4608MB total

    physical
    > memory. The system checker program at www.pcpitstop.com also reports the
    > same amount. I tried their SMBIOS tool and it reports the following for

    the
    > memory slots on the motherboard:
    >
    > == Memory Controller (type 5, handle 0005, length 22) ==
    > Error Detecting Method = None
    > Error Correcting Capability = |None|
    > Supported Interleave = 1-Way
    > Current Interleave = 1-Way
    > Max Memory Module Size = 1024 MB
    > Supported Speeds = |Other|
    > Supported Memory Types = |Other|
    > Memory Module Voltage = Supports 3.3V
    > Associated Memory Slots = 3
    >
    > == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0006, length 12) ==
    > Socket Designation = A0
    > Bank Connections = RAS 0, RAS 1
    > Current Speed (ns) = 0
    > Current Memory Type = |Other|
    > Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    > Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    > Error Status = 00
    >
    > == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0007, length 12) ==
    > Socket Designation = A2
    > Bank Connections = RAS 2, RAS 3
    > Current Speed (ns) = 0
    > Current Memory Type = |Other|
    > Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    > Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    > Error Status = 00
    >
    > == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0008, length 12) ==
    > Socket Designation = A4
    > Bank Connections = RAS 4, RAS 5
    > Current Speed (ns) = 0
    > Current Memory Type = |Other|ECC|
    > Installed Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    > Enabled Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    > Error Status = 00
    >

    > Does anyone have any idea why it is reporting a 4096MB memory module in

    the
    > third slot when that slot is empty, and will this be causing problems with
    > my PC?
    >
    > TIA
    > Dave

    OK, I am replying to my own post here.

    I have flashed the BIOS with R1.04 from the AOpen website and the RAM is
    still reported incorrectly, although I have found that the AOConfig program
    does report the correct amount of RAM.

    Any ideas what is wrong with SMBIOS and Windows system information tool?

    Dave