sn25p psu?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by rich, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. rich

    rich Guest

    I have had an sn25p running great for about two months, then suddenly
    it won't boot. I get no power - no fans, no lights, no beeps, no video,
    nothing. I tried another video card but that didn't help, and of course
    I've tried resetting the cmos but that didn't help either.

    I guess the psu went bad. Is there some way to test the psu, or try
    a generic psu externally? The motherboard doesn't have the regular
    ATX psu connector so I don't know how to check it. Anyone have ideas?

    My system consists of the following:
    - Shuttle sn25p
    - 2 GB RAM
    - Leadtek Geforce 6600GT
    - Hitachi 160MB HDD
    - Lite-on DVD burner
    - AMD64 3200+ (venice)

    I think the PSU (350W) should handle this fine. I'm not overclocking
    and was actually throttling the CPU down to 1GHz when it wasn't busy.

    Any ideas as to how to test the system or what the problem may be
    are appreciated! Thanks!

    rich

    rich, Oct 9, 2005

  2. rich

    Clark Guest

    Is it not booting or not powering up?

    Clark

    Clark, Oct 10, 2005

  3. rich

    rich Guest

    It doesn't power up at all.

    rich

    rich, Oct 10, 2005
  4. rich

    Clark Guest

    If you were on one of the Shuttle forums, you already saw this, but I
    just sent back a ST61G4 which would not power up. It you plugged in the
    cord, and hit the power button, the fans and lights would come on for
    about 1/2 second then nothing unless you replugged the cord. This one
    went for about 5 weeks before it would not start up one morning.

    I tried 3 cpus (which work), 2 sets of memory, and 3 power supplies, all
    with no effect. I have not gotten the box back or heard from them, but
    you might want to start doing the RMA process. If you find out where
    the problems lies (on the motherboard), would you let me know in case I
    can't find out.

    Call Mario at Tech support, he seems to handle these.

    Clark

    Clark, Oct 10, 2005
  5. rich

    Clark Guest

    Got my box back and it was the motherboard. I don't know what part, but the
    symptoms lead to the motherboard.

    Clark

    Clark, Oct 15, 2005
  6. rich

    rich Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:10:30 +0000, Clark wrote:

    > Got my box back and it was the motherboard. I don't know what part, but
    > the symptoms lead to the motherboard.

    I finally got an RMA number. The tech support guy said I could
    exchange the PSU so I'm going to send it back instead of the
    whole box. I hope that's the problem. I don't want to send
    the whole box back but I guess we'll see when I get the new PSU.
    I suppose it'll be a couple weeks. :-( I'll post an update.

    rich

    rich, Oct 15, 2005
  7. rich

    rich Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:10:53 -0400, rich wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:10:30 +0000, Clark wrote:
    >
    >> Got my box back and it was the motherboard. I don't know what part, but
    >> the symptoms lead to the motherboard.

    > I finally got an RMA number. The tech support guy said I could exchange
    > the PSU so I'm going to send it back instead of the whole box. I hope
    > that's the problem. I don't want to send the whole box back but I guess
    > we'll see when I get the new PSU. I suppose it'll be a couple weeks. :-(
    > I'll post an update.

    Ok, I got my new PSU. Everything seems to be working now. Yipeee!
    I need to go through and re-update my bios since I cleared it in
    an attempt to get the machine working but so far I don't see any
    problems after replacing the PSU.

    Dealing with support was kind of a mixed bag. I submitted the RMA
    form on the web and never heard back. Apparently they had a problem
    with my email address and didn't bother to call me or anything. Also
    one guy I talked to to get an update on my RMA said he would check and
    call me back...of course he disappeared off the face of the earth.
    Another person I got was very helpful and got my info right on the spot.

    Anyway, I'm happy it is working again.

    rich

    rich, Nov 1, 2005