    I press the On button and can take from 5 to 30 seconds before it
    decides to start powering up. Anyone know why this is?

    Mal

    Mal Franks, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Mal Franks

    Andy McCall Guest

    Nope but mine has started doing this too. Are you connected to a LAN?

    Andy McCall, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Mal Franks

    Clark Guest

    All I could guess would be the power is not correct and it is waiting
    for a good signal. The paperweight I have right now will not even power up.

    Clark

    Clark, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Mal Franks

    Mal Franks Guest

    Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
    said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
    well placed blow, said...
    > Nope but mine has started doing this too. Are you connected to a LAN?

    Yes, but it has always been connected to one.

    Mal Franks, Sep 27, 2005
  5. My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
    problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
    button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
    computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
    notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
    indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
    machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
    (one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
    going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
    out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

    sevenyo11 via HWKB.com, Sep 29, 2005
  6. sevenyo11 wrote:
    >My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
    >problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
    >button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
    >computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
    >notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
    >indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
    >machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
    >(one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
    >going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
    >out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

    I forgot to add, the computer fires up after a few minutes after pressing the
    case button. It runs fine once it starts - but the problem is getting it to
    start up.

    sevenyo11 via HWKB.com, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Mal Franks

    Cichlidiot Guest

    sevenyo11 via HWKB.com <u14393@uwe> wrote:
    : My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
    : problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
    : button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
    : computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
    : notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
    : indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
    : machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
    : (one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
    : going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
    : out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

    The green LED you reference simply means the board is getting power from
    the PSU. It will always be on when the machine is plugged in unless the power
    supply is totally dead. My SN41G2 also starting displaying similar symptoms.
    The first boot-up after I moved, the keyboard port was unrecognized. Powered
    down using the mouse to select the proper shutdown options. Tested keyboard
    on laptop where it worked fine. Went back to the SN41G2 and it would not
    boot up. A Google search turned up many other people with these same problems.
    Rather than tear my hair out trying to get it to work, I purchased a
    mid-tower case and mobo I've had good performance from in the past and
    transferred all the hardware over. It all works fine, so that suggest to me
    that the SN41G2's problem is either the mobo or the power supply. I couldn't
    see any buldging capacitors, so it's probably not the capacitor issue that
    plagued earlier models (like the SV24 I have which is also a door stop now).
    In my case, it's possible one of my friends accidently mishandled it during
    the move and that sped up the machine's demise. The machine was having
    intermittant keyboard issues before the move, but that could have been the
    KVM.

    Cichlidiot, Sep 29, 2005