SN85G4V2 definitely overheating

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Jonathan, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    I built an SN85G4V2 system this summer, with an Athlon64 3200+ and ATI AIW
    9600XT graphics. And after running fine for about 3 months, it has decided
    to start overheating. When it overheats, it shuts itself off.
    For now, if I leave the case off, the temps stay down enough to where it's
    fine. However even with the case off, the nVidia system utility shows a
    system temp often in the mid-40's, which is sorta high (the "red line" is
    50). Meanwhile the CPU temp is perfectly normal (ie, the ICE module is
    working fine).

    I've also noticed that the PSU gets REALLY hot, which is possibly a sign
    it's working too hard, and is also the most likely cause of the high system
    temps. I'm going to try to gather power information from each component,
    and attempt to figure out if I'm near or over limit on any wattages.

    Another thing I've noticed is that the airflow coming out of the PSU is very
    low. The large ICE module's fan pushes tons of air, meanwhile it seems like
    there's not much flow through the PSU. The PSU fan is working however. Is
    this normal? How are other SN85G4V2's behaving? And does anyone have any
    suggestions, beyond what I'm already doing?

    I guess my main goal is to figure out if the PSU is bad, or if I'm simply
    asking too much of it.

    thanks,
    Jonathan

    1. Advertising

  2. "Jonathan" <> wrote in message
    > How are other SN85G4V2's behaving?

    Firstly my PSU is very hot compared to standard desktop PSUs, I think
    that's to be expected though as mine is running 2 hard disks a DVD-RW
    and a Radeon X800XT PE all inside a tiny little case

    My CPU Never gets hotter than 52 degrees C and mostly runs around
    35-40 which is well below the point where it would shut itself off.

    The case on the other hand claims it runs anything from 30 to 50
    degrees but after I got scared it was going to burn my house down I
    shoved a proper thermometer in it and found it never got above 30 so I
    think the diode on the motherboard must be in a bad place.

    As for extra things you can do to keep it cool, I got one of Shuttles
    case covers with mesh sides because my X800XT's fan blows straight
    into the side of the case cover and now with the mesh sides it vents
    straight out.