    might feel different.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 26, 2012

  2. TaliesinSoft <> writes:

    > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow
    > Leopard. What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion
    > interface, especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling
    > under Snow Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation
    > but, at least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow
    > Leopard's. Others might feel different.

    There are third party utilities that allow you to reset scrolling
    on Snow Leopard so it matches the default behavior on Lion. I ended
    up installing one of them on my Snow Leopard machine and have been
    happy with it, but the machine isn't in front of me, and so I don't
    know what I installed. Possibly "scroll-reverser".
    Doug Anderson, Jun 26, 2012

  3. TaliesinSoft

    MC Guest

    In article <>,
    TaliesinSoft <> wrote:

    > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
    > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
    > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
    > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
    > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
    > might feel different.

    A couple of third-party add-ons I had don't work under Lion, but I knew
    that and ditched them before making the switch, coming up with new ways
    to do the old things. I don't regret upgrading a bit.

    The new OSX is due out any day now, isn't it?

    --

    "If you can, tell me something happy."
    - Marybones
    MC, Jun 26, 2012
  4. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
    > > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
    > > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
    > > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
    > > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
    > > might feel different.

    > Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
    > support in the pipeline for 10.6.

    why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
    release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
    it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
    to be 2 versions old.
    nospam, Jun 26, 2012
  5. TaliesinSoft

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    TaliesinSoft <> wrote:

    > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
    > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
    > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
    > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
    > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
    > might feel different.

    There is a 3rd party utility "Scroll Reverser"
    <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser> which makes the
    SL scroll function the same as Lion.

    I use it on my SL virtual machine to reduce confusion when switching
    to/from Lion.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
    Tom Stiller, Jun 26, 2012
  6. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2012-06-26 18:47:21 +0000, Doug Anderson said:

    > There are third party utilities that allow you to reset scrolling
    > on Snow Leopard so it matches the default behavior on Lion. I ended
    > up installing one of them on my Snow Leopard machine and have been
    > happy with it, but the machine isn't in front of me, and so I don't
    > know what I installed. Possibly "scroll-reverser".

    Scroll Reverser did the job!

    The MacBook Pro I have is the first Intel version and unfortunately
    won't run Lion. Because of that I purchased an iMac to be my main
    computer and set my MacBook Pro aside and it remained unused until
    recently when I decided it was perfect for giving Keynote presentations
    and slide shows with the MacBook Pro connected to a projector. That's
    when, after having become totally used to the scrolling conventions of
    Lion that I found it frustrating to have the scrolling reversed in the
    MacBook Pro.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 26, 2012
  7. TaliesinSoft

    Lewis Guest

    In message <260620121643277841%>
    nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    >> > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
    >> > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
    >> > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
    >> > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
    >> > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
    >> > might feel different.

    >> Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
    >> support in the pipeline for 10.6.

    > why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
    > release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
    > it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
    > to be 2 versions old.

    Oh, they might do it a few weeks after MobileMe dies, but first they
    want to move as many people as they can to Lion. Heck, they will *GIVE*
    you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you can update to Lion.

    Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
    they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
    people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

    "We heard you concerns and have decided to integrate iCould support into
    Snow Leopard."

    --
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming in
    terror like his passengers.
    Lewis, Jun 27, 2012
  8. TaliesinSoft

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    MC <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > TaliesinSoft <> wrote:

    >> I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
    >> What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
    >> especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
    >> Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
    >> least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
    >> might feel different.

    > A couple of third-party add-ons I had don't work under Lion, but I knew
    > that and ditched them before making the switch, coming up with new ways
    > to do the old things. I don't regret upgrading a bit.

    > The new OSX is due out any day now, isn't it?

    July 1st to 31st. My guess is between the 6th and 15th, unless there's a
    problem in the latest builds.

    --
    'How come you know all that stuff?' 'I ain't just a pretty face.' 'You
    aren't even a pretty face, Gaspode.'
    Lewis, Jun 27, 2012
  9. In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > Heck, they will *GIVE* you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you
    > can update to Lion.

    How can you get it for free? I have a friend is still running Leopard.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 27, 2012
  10. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Lewis
    <> wrote:

    > >> Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
    > >> support in the pipeline for 10.6.

    > > why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
    > > release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
    > > it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
    > > to be 2 versions old.

    > Oh, they might do it a few weeks after MobileMe dies, but first they
    > want to move as many people as they can to Lion. Heck, they will *GIVE*
    > you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you can update to Lion.
    >
    > Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
    > they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
    > people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

    what's in it for apple to do that?

    if you want icloud then you upgrade to lion now or wait a few weeks for
    mountain lion and save $10.
    nospam, Jun 27, 2012
  11. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Jun 27, 2012
  12. In article <260620122007060969%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > what's in it for apple to do that?
    >
    > if you want icloud then you upgrade to lion now or wait a few weeks for
    > mountain lion and save $10.

    If you're planning to go from SL to ML, wait those weeks and save $29.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 27, 2012
  13. In article <260620122007081089%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > > > Heck, they will *GIVE* you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you
    > > > can update to Lion.

    > > How can you get it for free? I have a friend is still running Leopard.

    > <http://www.macgasm.net/2012/04/18/apple-now-giving-away-snow-leopard-to-
    > mobileme-customers-for-free/>

    According to the article, the offer expired on June 15th. Also, it
    apparently was available only to people who had paid for Mobile Me.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 27, 2012
  14. TaliesinSoft

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-06-27 00:07:06 +0000, nospam said:

    > In article <>, Lewis
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
    >> they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
    >> people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

    > what's in it for apple to do that?

    They get everyone who can go to Lion (who uses MobileMe) to go to Lion.

    Then the rest of us who still have machines which can't go to Lion
    (like my old iMac) a just a little less annoyed at apple when we get to
    keep syncing our contacts and calendars on that machine.

    Apple knows there are lots of us out here in this situation. And pics
    were leaked a long time ago showing iCloud support messages in some
    non-released versions of Snow Leopard (which made many of us think/hope
    that they'd give us iCloud support sooner).

    But waiting until after pulling the plug on MobileMe makes sense. Were
    it not for that, I may have waited a lot longer to move at least one of
    my machines to Lion. (Though I'm getting to be more and more
    comfortable with it and actually mostly prefer it over the machine
    running SL at this point, regardless of iCloud).
    Bread, Jun 27, 2012
  15. TaliesinSoft

    David Empson Guest

    nospam <> wrote:

    > > > why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
    > > > release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
    > > > it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
    > > > to be 2 versions old.

    > > Oh, they might do it a few weeks after MobileMe dies, but first they
    > > want to move as many people as they can to Lion. Heck, they will *GIVE*
    > > you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you can update to Lion.
    > >
    > > Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
    > > they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
    > > people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

    > what's in it for apple to do that?
    >
    > if you want icloud then you upgrade to lion now or wait a few weeks for
    > mountain lion and save $10.

    Thinking through the various issues which occur to me, so excuse the
    rambling...

    There are several 2006 Mac models which can run Snow Leopard, but not
    Lion. Admittedly a small number of Macs compared to all those sold in
    2007 and later (ballpark 3 million out of 69 million Intel Macs sold up
    to the end of March 2012).

    [Sidebar: There is a bigger set which can upgrade to Lion but not
    Mountain Lion. Harder to give a rough figure as it depends on relative
    sales figures for specific product lines, but it includes all 2007 and
    most 2008 MacBooks, which were probably the most popular series prior to
    the introduction of the 13" MacBook Pro in mid 2009, and all Mac Minis
    in that timeframe. Total Mac sales from late 2006 through to the end of
    2008 were 16.7 million, so there might be as many as 8 million Macs not
    able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.]

    Then there are all the people refusing to upgrade to Lion because they
    don't like the user interface changes, Autosave or some other features,
    or they need to keep running Rosetta.

    As of the end of May, Lion has just overtaken Snow Leopard in web usage
    (43% vs 40% of all Mac OS X versions), according to
    marketshare.hitslink.com, which should be a reasonable estimate of
    relative installed base. Lion took about a month longer to overtake Snow
    Leopard than Snow Leopard took to overtake Leopard.

    That rather large installed base raises the interesting question of how
    long Apple will need to keep supplying security updates for Snow
    Leopard. I don't think Apple will be willing to stop supplying security
    updates to almost 40% of Mac users as soon as Mountain Lion is released
    (as was the pattern with earlier systems). Leopard was down to about 22%
    when it got its last full security update. Snow Leopard may not reach
    that level for another year or so.

    Only Apple knows how many people are still clinging to their MobileMe
    accounts until the last possible moment. If there are a significant
    number, this may encourage Apple to release iCloud support for Snow
    Leopard.

    I upgraded to Lion last month, and iCloud a couple of a weeks ago. It
    would irritate me slightly if Apple now turned around and released
    iCloud support for Snow Leopard, but I've already moved on and will be
    updating to Mountain Lion soon.

    iCloud support for Snow Leopard might be handy for my Mac Mini Server,
    which I'm intending to leave on Snow Leopard for a while longer. It
    would also help lots of other Mac users on Snow Leopard with iOS devices
    running iOS 5, who could get a decent degree of iCloud sync with their
    computer.

    Delaying iCloud support for Snow Leopard until after MobileMe shuts down
    makes sense in terms of providing a stick for MobileMe users to upgrade
    to Lion. Many of them will want to upgrade again to Mountain Lion to get
    documents in iCloud.

    But...

    If Apple were to release iCloud support for Snow Leopard before Mountain
    Lion is released, it is likely to encourage some users to stay on Snow
    Leopard rather than upgrading straight to Mountain Lion (or eventually
    move to Lion, if they can't run Mountain Lion).

    It would therefore make more sense to delay such support until Mountain
    Lion has had time to get established. By then, Snow Leopard numbers may
    have dropped to the point where there is even less reason for Apple to
    release iCloud support.

    It could also prolong the usage tail for Snow Leopard, forcing Apple to
    continue supplying security updates for an even longer period.

    Overall I think it is unlikely that Apple will release iCloud support
    for Snow Leopard.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 27, 2012
  16. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    In article <jsdjps$ope$>, Bread
    <> wrote:

    > >> Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
    > >> they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
    > >> people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

    > > what's in it for apple to do that?

    > They get everyone who can go to Lion (who uses MobileMe) to go to Lion.

    sure, but what's in it for them to update snow leopard which in less
    than a month, it will be *two* revisions outdated, not just one?

    > Then the rest of us who still have machines which can't go to Lion
    > (like my old iMac) a just a little less annoyed at apple when we get to
    > keep syncing our contacts and calendars on that machine.

    > Apple knows there are lots of us out here in this situation. And pics
    > were leaked a long time ago showing iCloud support messages in some
    > non-released versions of Snow Leopard (which made many of us think/hope
    > that they'd give us iCloud support sooner).
    >
    > But waiting until after pulling the plug on MobileMe makes sense. Were
    > it not for that, I may have waited a lot longer to move at least one of
    > my machines to Lion. (Though I'm getting to be more and more
    > comfortable with it and actually mostly prefer it over the machine
    > running SL at this point, regardless of iCloud).

    apple wants you to upgrade, either by buying lion or mountain lion, or
    preferably, a whole new mac.

    there is no motivation for them to help you stay with snow leopard.
    nospam, Jun 27, 2012
  17. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kmcllt.evluml1t2fe6fN%>, David Empson
    <> wrote:

    > But...
    >
    > If Apple were to release iCloud support for Snow Leopard before Mountain
    > Lion is released, it is likely to encourage some users to stay on Snow
    > Leopard rather than upgrading straight to Mountain Lion (or eventually
    > move to Lion, if they can't run Mountain Lion).
    >
    > It would therefore make more sense to delay such support until Mountain
    > Lion has had time to get established. By then, Snow Leopard numbers may
    > have dropped to the point where there is even less reason for Apple to
    > release iCloud support.
    >
    > It could also prolong the usage tail for Snow Leopard, forcing Apple to
    > continue supplying security updates for an even longer period.

    how would this help apple? they want you to buy new stuff, not prolong
    the old stuff. they might provide security updates, but that's about
    it.

    > Overall I think it is unlikely that Apple will release iCloud support
    > for Snow Leopard.

    agreed. i can't see it happening.
    nospam, Jun 27, 2012
  18. TaliesinSoft

    David Empson Guest

    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <1kmcllt.evluml1t2fe6fN%>, David Empson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > But...
    > >
    > > If Apple were to release iCloud support for Snow Leopard before Mountain
    > > Lion is released, it is likely to encourage some users to stay on Snow
    > > Leopard rather than upgrading straight to Mountain Lion (or eventually
    > > move to Lion, if they can't run Mountain Lion).
    > >
    > > It would therefore make more sense to delay such support until Mountain
    > > Lion has had time to get established. By then, Snow Leopard numbers may
    > > have dropped to the point where there is even less reason for Apple to
    > > release iCloud support.
    > >
    > > It could also prolong the usage tail for Snow Leopard, forcing Apple to
    > > continue supplying security updates for an even longer period.

    > how would this help apple?

    It wouldn't. That was my point in the above paragraphs.

    > they want you to buy new stuff, not prolong the old stuff. they might
    > provide security updates, but that's about it.

    Apple also wants to stop supplying security updates for old systems, but
    may not be able to justify doing so until usage has dropped to a small
    enough proportion of the user base.

    They want Snow Leopard usage to decline quickly, not tail off slowly.

    Adding iCloud support to Snow Leopard runs against that.

    David Empson, Jun 27, 2012
  19. TaliesinSoft

    nospam Guest

    In article <1kmcoq8.1iy4dss1h7e1vxN%>, David
    Empson <> wrote:

    > They want Snow Leopard usage to decline quickly, not tail off slowly.
    >
    > Adding iCloud support to Snow Leopard runs against that.

    that's exactly my point.
    nospam, Jun 27, 2012
  20. TaliesinSoft

    Király Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    > Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
    > support in the pipeline for 10.6.

    Most of iCloud syncing works on Snow Leopard, by manually entering the
    server settings in each app's prefs. I have iCloud calendar and mail
    syncing quite nicely with Snow Leopard's iCal and Mail. Contacts is
    harder to do; it's apparently possible by following the instructions at
    http://ihelpyourmac.com/wordpress/?p=23 but it doesn't work for me.

    Snow Leopard users can also access iCloud by pointing any web browser at
    http://icloud.com.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.