SO-DIMM DDR out of production

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Martin Trautmann, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    I was surprised to find out how expensive SO-DIMM DDR still is nowadays.

    It's about one year ago that DDR2 became as cheap as DDR - about $60/GB
    (all comparisons based on 1 GB sized extensions).

    Today DDR2 is below $15/GB - and standard DIMMs with 240 pins are almost
    the same as the slighlty more expensive SO-DIMM with 200 pins.

    Today DDR is at about $30/GB for standard DIMM 184 pin and about $50/GB
    for SO-DIMM 200 pins.

    I wonder: Is DDR still in production? Has every fab moved over to DDR2
    or even DDR3 nowadays (which is at about $80/GB)?

    I've checked European prices first. They do convert almost 1:1 to
    USD-prices, although the exchange rate would be better than 1:1.50. Some
    of this is due to almost 20% of taxes. German/Austrian price trends can be
    observed at www.geizhals.at. Since I do not know matching US sources, I
    compared with pricegrabber.com for current prices only:

    EUR/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
    2006 90 90 130 130
    2007 60 70 60 60 180
    2008 25 35 13 14 50

    USD/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
    2008 33 50 14 18 80

    (all prices in currency per giga byte in march)
    (e.g. SO-DDR2 does mean SO-DIMM DDR2 200 pin, ...)

    I do not know any Asian prices.
    Martin Trautmann, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Martin Trautmann wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was surprised to find out how expensive SO-DIMM DDR still is nowadays.
    >
    > It's about one year ago that DDR2 became as cheap as DDR - about $60/GB
    > (all comparisons based on 1 GB sized extensions).
    >
    > Today DDR2 is below $15/GB - and standard DIMMs with 240 pins are almost
    > the same as the slighlty more expensive SO-DIMM with 200 pins.
    >
    > Today DDR is at about $30/GB for standard DIMM 184 pin and about $50/GB
    > for SO-DIMM 200 pins.
    >
    > I wonder: Is DDR still in production? Has every fab moved over to DDR2
    > or even DDR3 nowadays (which is at about $80/GB)?
    >
    > I've checked European prices first. They do convert almost 1:1 to
    > USD-prices, although the exchange rate would be better than 1:1.50. Some
    > of this is due to almost 20% of taxes. German/Austrian price trends can be
    > observed at www.geizhals.at. Since I do not know matching US sources, I
    > compared with pricegrabber.com for current prices only:
    >
    > EUR/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
    > 2006 90 90 130 130
    > 2007 60 70 60 60 180
    > 2008 25 35 13 14 50
    >
    > USD/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
    > 2008 33 50 14 18 80
    >
    > (all prices in currency per giga byte in march)
    > (e.g. SO-DDR2 does mean SO-DIMM DDR2 200 pin, ...)
    >
    > I do not know any Asian prices.

    YEAH I have boxes of SO DIMM.. woohoo
    OH and a about 400 pounds of PC100 & PC133.... Jackpot
    --
    The RIGHT REVEREND G.G. WILLIKERS
    (formerly) Monsignor Boddom
    G.G. Willikers, Mar 19, 2008

  3. The best place to buy memory is often E-Bay. I'm buying the DDR modules
    that I need for under $5 per module.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 20, 2008