So what's better? More GHz or more MHz??

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by nicknack, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. nicknack

    nicknack Guest

    Hey all,
    To start off, I know the difference between GHz and MHz. And I think I
    know the answer to this but I'm asking for some second opinions. What
    I've started doing recently is getting into games big time. I've got a
    ATI Radeon 9250 that's worked well so far.
    Back a couple of years ago GHz and MHz were pretty much the same
    comparing from the different mb manufactures. Now there is a huge
    difference. For example the Intel P4 are higher 3.0+ GHz but the MHz is
    around 800 MHz. Whereas the AMDs are 2.0+ GHz but the MHz is at 2400.
    Whoa! Which one should I go with? Which one will give me better game
    performance?
    Here's my answer - I think I should stick w/the AMD because even though
    they are at a lower GHz, the MHz is much higher and therefore it's able
    to carry more data frequency then the Intel's.
    Am I right?
    I think I remember a bunch of guys at work arguing about which one is
    better. I hope this doesn't start a war. ;o)
    Thanks for your help. . .
    Take care,
    Nicki

    nicknack, Mar 23, 2006

  2. nicknack

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:54:53 -0800, nicknack wrote:

    > Here's my answer - I think I should stick w/the AMD because even though
    > they are at a lower GHz, the MHz is much higher and therefore it's able
    > to carry more data frequency then the Intel's. Am I right? I think I
    > remember a bunch of guys at work arguing about which one is better. I
    > hope this doesn't start a war. ;o) Thanks for your help. . . Take care,
    > Nicki

    1.0GHz= 1000MHz. It's that simple as for as the difference in GHz and MHz.

    Try this to compare cpu's.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

    Wes Newell, Mar 23, 2006

  3. >For example the Intel P4 are higher 3.0+ GHz but the MHz is
    >around 800 MHz.

    You're comparing the internal clock speed of the CPU (3GHz) with the
    speed at which the CPU talks to the outside world (memory) via the
    Front Side Bus (800MHz)

    >Whereas the AMDs are 2.0+ GHz but the MHz is at 2400.

    The first figure is the actual clock speed, while the second is an
    estimate of how fast it "appears" thanks to internal optimizations,
    onboard cache etc.

    You're not comparing like with like. Find a geek or do some homework.

    Nonya Bizznizz, Apr 1, 2006