    I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin at
    Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
    speeds? =)

    Bruin, Sep 4, 2005

  2. "Bruin" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
    > That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
    > Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
    > Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
    > 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. But still saved a ton over a P4. I
    > was happy.
    > Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
    > the itch.
    >
    > I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
    >
    > What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
    > myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever
    > & I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin
    > at Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to
    > expensive speeds? =)

    Probably better to ask in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, as this group is
    mostly dormant, but I'll entice you a bit :)

    Asus A8V Deluxe here running an A64 3200+ (default speed 2.0 GHz) at 2.5 GHz
    with no issues, all adjustments made in BIOS to up the FSB while locking
    PCI/AGP.
    100% stable. 2.5 GHz is about 3800+ speed. You can do the math on respective
    CPU prices.
    Go to the group above for more/better O/C stories with A64.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Bruin

    Bruin Guest

    "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in message

    > "Bruin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to
    >> 450. That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
    >> Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
    >> Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
    >> 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. But still saved a ton over a P4.
    >> I was happy.
    >> Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am
    >> getting the itch.
    >>
    >> I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
    >>
    >> What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
    >> myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the
    >> Fever & I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be
    >> lookin at Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up
    >> to expensive speeds? =)
    >>

    > Probably better to ask in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, as this group is
    > mostly dormant, but I'll entice you a bit :)
    >
    > Asus A8V Deluxe here running an A64 3200+ (default speed 2.0 GHz) at 2.5
    > GHz with no issues, all adjustments made in BIOS to up the FSB while
    > locking PCI/AGP.
    > 100% stable. 2.5 GHz is about 3800+ speed. You can do the math on
    > respective CPU prices.
    > Go to the group above for more/better O/C stories with A64.

    Thanks! Didn't know this group was available.

    Bruin, Sep 5, 2005