    for the AMD-64, which I prefer, looking for what would the difference before
    I upgrade my computers to the AMD-64. Can anyone comment on the pros and
    cons of these?

    DrB, Aug 13, 2005

  2. DrB

    Jim Guest

    I chose the 754 based on price of the board and cpu. My goal was a
    +3000 system as a base with the possibility of some modest performance
    improvement in the future. I looked at 939 for a long time (MSI and
    Abit) because they were newer and had support for PCI-e. However, I
    did not want a board with a chipset fan and the prices for boards with
    heatpipes were about twice the price of the ECS 754 board. I can
    always upgrade later when the prices come down.

    -jim

    Jim, Aug 13, 2005

  3. DrB

    DrB Guest

    Thank you for your helpful comments.

    You mentioned heatpipes. Does that mean that the 939 setup generates more
    heat and uses more power?

    I am thinking that which ever CPU is used in notebooks would use less power
    to run and therefore run the coolest so do you know which one is used there?

    DrB, Aug 13, 2005
  4. DrB

    Jim Guest

    The latest Nvidia chipsets nForce4 which support PCIe uses more power
    and requires extra cooling support. Via and SIS chipsets use two chips
    instead of one. The power is probably the same (or more) but these
    chips can get by with a passive heatsink. The overclocker crowd seem
    to prefer Nvidia. I am not an overclocker and wanted a quieter system.

    I think there are CPUs that are designated for "mobile computing" which
    use less power but they probably will need a CPU fan for any reasonable
    level of performance. I don't know much about these.

    You might google for "quiet PC" to find more info on mobile PCs.

    -jim

    Jim, Aug 13, 2005