Socket 939 CPUs - drop in replacement?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Derek Fountain, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. I've got a Shuttle SN95G which is currently running Linux on a AMD
    Athlon64 3200. I was planning on taking out that chip and putting in a
    X2 varient - maybe a 4600X2, depending on what I can get hold of locally.

    Are Socket 939 chips drop in compatible? Is it really as easy as
    checking I have an SMP kernel in place, then taking one CPU out, putting
    the new one in, and booting the box?

    1. Advertising

  2. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Derek Fountain <> wrote:
    > I've got a Shuttle SN95G which is currently running Linux on a AMD
    > Athlon64 3200. I was planning on taking out that chip and putting in a
    > X2 varient - maybe a 4600X2, depending on what I can get hold of locally.

    > Are Socket 939 chips drop in compatible? Is it really as easy as
    > checking I have an SMP kernel in place, then taking one CPU out, putting
    > the new one in, and booting the box?

    There are two possible contraints: BIOS and voltage regulators.
    Have a look on Shuttle's website. BIOS may be fixable, but
    if the voltage regulators are too weak only a new mainboard
    helps.

    Arno