    2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
    running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).

    As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

    Wes Newell, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Wes Newell

    Hank Kimball Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
    > criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
    > buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
    > Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
    > benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
    > higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
    > 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
    > running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
    >
    > As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
    >
    > --

    Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at all. I
    recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and CPU, thus you
    preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)

    Hank Kimball
    "I have an important message for you, life or death." .. Ok, what is the
    message? "What message?"

    Hank Kimball, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Wes Newell

    rstlne Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
    > criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
    > buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
    > Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
    > benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
    > higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
    > 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
    > running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
    >
    > As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

    Yea, The benchark is supposed to be a close to a CeleronD comparision
    chart..

    rstlne, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Wes Newell

    Derek Baker Guest

    Hank Kimball wrote:
    > "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    >> I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
    >> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
    >> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64
    >> 3000+. Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch
    >> of the benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons
    >> could have higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up
    >> with an Athlon 64 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is
    >> actually a tbred B core running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+
    >> tbred (12.5x166).
    >>
    >> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
    >> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

    > Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
    > all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
    > CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)

    Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754 CPU. Can't
    really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to upgrade the CPU and
    board together.

    --
    Derek

    Derek Baker, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Wes Newell

    Derek Baker Guest

    rstlne wrote:
    >>> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
    >>> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
    >>> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)
    >>>

    >> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
    >> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
    >> upgrade the CPU and board together.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Derek

    > If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
    > your skt A (if that's what you have)
    > the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
    > huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
    > feeling you get)

    What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
    difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.

    --
    Derek

    Derek Baker, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Wes Newell

    Derek Baker Guest

    Derek Baker wrote:

    >>> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
    >>> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
    >>> upgrade the CPU and board together.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Derek

    >> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
    >> your skt A (if that's what you have)
    >> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
    >> huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
    >> feeling you get)

    > What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
    > difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.

    Here's a comparison of the 3400+ and 3500+:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=15

    Though note since then the 3400+ ha slost half it's cache and gained 200Mhz.

    --
    Derek

    Derek Baker, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Wes Newell

    rstlne Guest

    rstlne, Jul 30, 2004
  8. >>>>> "rstlne" == rstlne <> writes:

    rstlne> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just
    rstlne> stick with your skt A (if that's what you have) the 939 kicks
    rstlne> ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge
    rstlne> gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
    rstlne> feeling you get)

    Really. Anyway the few benchmarks I have seen don't show that
    significant of a performance difference between 939 vs 754. Could you
    kindly send a url that shows these big differences.

    Thanks

    Alan

    Post Replies Here Please, Jul 30, 2004
  9. Wes Newell

    Ed Light Guest

    "rstlne" <> wrote
    > If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
    > skt A (if that's what you have)
    > the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge

    gaps
    > i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)

    I read that 939 requires matched pairs of memory. Do they have to be
    identical, or can they be different brands of the same type?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 30, 2004
  10. Wes Newell

    The Chief Guest

    The safest thing to do is to purchase a matched set. Same size, same
    speed, and same brand. One of the problems is matching up all the
    timing. If you look at the specs for different brands, you will see
    they use different timings. And it may well end up being the cheapest.
    If you don't go with a matched set and you start having weird
    problems, like spontaneous rebooting, you will have to then buy a
    matched set to fix your unexplained problems.

    The Chief, Jul 30, 2004
  11. Wes Newell

    Ed Light Guest

    I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two are
    totally different and not actually made by Corsair.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 30, 2004
  12. Wes Newell

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ed Light wrote:
    > I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two
    > are totally different and not actually made by Corsair.

    It should be fine, just set the timings such that both DIMMS are within spec
    for all parameters.

    Would probably be better to use PC3200 though.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 30, 2004
  13. Wes Newell

    Ed Light Guest

    "Ben Pope" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Light wrote:
    > > I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two
    > > are totally different and not actually made by Corsair.

    > It should be fine, just set the timings such that both DIMMS are within

    spec
    > for all parameters.
    >
    > Would probably be better to use PC3200 though.

    Yes, it will have to scale it down from the bus, instead of up from 133/266
    as it is now (still runs faster than in synch on benchmarks).

    In interim, I've just got a 2200+ 35w Barton mobile I'm going to make a
    3000+ (2150 @ 333 @ 1.5v) with the wires in the socket method - I hope it
    works on my KT400.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 31, 2004
  14. Wes Newell

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ed Light wrote:
    > Yes, it will have to scale it down from the bus, instead of up from
    > 133/266 as it is now (still runs faster than in synch on benchmarks).

    It probably will be faster on a VIA.

    > In interim, I've just got a 2200+ 35w Barton mobile I'm going to make a
    > 3000+ (2150 @ 333 @ 1.5v) with the wires in the socket method - I hope it
    > works on my KT400.

    Go for it, don't see why not.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 31, 2004
  15. Wes Newell

    Lord Blue Guest

    The 939 does not require matched set of memory, the 940 did/does, but this
    is only for older Athlon FX and Opteron systems.

    Lord Blue

    Lord Blue, Aug 8, 2004
  16. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:23:03 +0000, wrote:

    > "Lord Blue" <> wrote in message
    >> The 939 does not require matched set of memory, the 940 did/does, but this
    >> is only for older Athlon FX and Opteron systems.
    >>

    > I think it's more to the point that 940 boards require "Registerd" memory..
    > I could be wrong but I think that your still limited to running Dual-Chan
    > ram only when the pairs are running at the same settings. (Matched settings
    > and values) but I could be wrong.

    That's totally correct. The ram doesn't have to be "matched" other than
    they will work at the same timings. The ram could be from 2 completely
    different manufactures. IOW's matched pairs as advertised simply means 2
    sticks of the same make/model number /brand.

    Wes Newell, Aug 8, 2004
  17. Wes Newell

    rstlne Guest

    rstlne, Aug 8, 2004