Socket A, anybody?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Airman Thunderbird, Jul 29, 2007.

  1. I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
    notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
    find them. What gives?

    1. Advertising

  2. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Airman Thunderbird wrote:

    > I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
    > notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
    > find them. What gives?

    Because there are alot of people just like you out there. Newer socket
    A setups are still robust enough to run just about anything except
    resource-consuming games. That means everyone is trying to eek the last
    few years of life out of their systems before being forced into upgrading.

    -Dylan C

    1. Advertising

  3. I guess, just seems silly that I can buy an X2 3800 Athlon cheaper than
    a 3000XP.

    Dylan C wrote:
    > Airman Thunderbird wrote:
    >>
    >> I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
    >> notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
    >> find them. What gives?

    > Because there are alot of people just like you out there. Newer socket
    > A setups are still robust enough to run just about anything except
    > resource-consuming games. That means everyone is trying to eek the last
    > few years of life out of their systems before being forced into upgrading.
    >
    > -Dylan C

  4. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:01:59 -0500, Airman Thunderbird wrote:

    > I guess, just seems silly that I can buy an X2 3800 Athlon cheaper than
    > a 3000XP.

    if you're looking for 3000+ speeds at a cheap price, then you have several
    options. Buy a cheap Barton core mobile XP-M and run it at 3000+ speeds or
    faster. Or get a Duron 1800 and set the FSB to 166 for 2250MHz. You can
    but either of these new for under $50. pricewatch.com

  5. Walter

    Walter Guest

    I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact me
    offline.

    --

    ______________________________

    Walter B
    waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
    ______________________________

    "Airman Thunderbird" <> wrote in message

    > I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
    > notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you find
    > them. What gives?

  6. c

    c Guest

    Walter wrote:
    > I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
    > me offline.

    Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals. ;)

  7. SumGuy

    SumGuy Guest

    "c" <> wrote in message
    > Walter wrote:
    >> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
    >> me offline.
    >>

    > Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals. ;)

    So are Slot A and Slot 1 ;-)

  8. Walter

    Walter Guest

    You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x 2"
    x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading the
    OP more carefully.

    --

    ______________________________

    "c" <> wrote in message
    > Walter wrote:
    >> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
    >> me offline.
    >>

    > Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals. ;)

  9. SumGuy

    SumGuy Guest

    "Walter" <> wrote in message
    > You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x
    > 2" x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading
    > the OP more carefully.
    >
    > --

    ROLF, you don't have a Slot A, no such beast. You have a Slot 1, hence my
    other post.

    Or maybe you do have a Slot A, which would be a rarity and maybe worth
    something ;-)

    > ______________________________
    >
    > Walter B
    > waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
    > ______________________________
    >

    > "c" <> wrote in message
    >> Walter wrote:
    >>> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
    >>> me offline.
    >>>

    >> Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals. ;)

  10. Beryl

    Beryl Guest

    SumGuy wrote:
    > "Walter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x
    >>2" x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading
    >>the OP more carefully.
    >>
    >>--

    > ROLF, you don't have a Slot A, no such beast. You have a Slot 1, hence my
    > other post.
    >
    > Or maybe you do have a Slot A, which would be a rarity and maybe worth
    > something ;-)

    Slot A beasts are listed here
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon (Slot A).html

    >>______________________________
    >>
    >>Walter B
    >>waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
    >>______________________________
    >>

    >>"c" <> wrote in message

    >>>Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals. ;)

  11. SumGuy

    SumGuy Guest

    "Beryl" <> wrote in message
    > SumGuy wrote:
    >> "Walter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x
    >>>2" x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading
    >>>the OP more carefully.
    >>>
    >>>--

    >> ROLF, you don't have a Slot A, no such beast. You have a Slot 1, hence my
    >> other post.
    >>
    >> Or maybe you do have a Slot A, which would be a rarity and maybe worth
    >> something ;-)

    > Slot A beasts are listed here
    > http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon (Slot A).html

    OK, I did google for Slot A but got nothing.

    Though since yours is a Pentium, it'd still abe slot one wouldn't it?

    Why don't you try giving it to some computer charity.