Software to identify keysrokes.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mark Healey, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    the shift, ctrl and alt keys.

    I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    pressed.

    Is there something?

    I'll go blind following traces.

    1. Advertising

  2. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Mark Healey <> wrote:
    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.

    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.

    > Is there something?

    Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
    square and it will report each input event in full detail.

    > I'll go blind following traces.

    Hehe.

    Arno

    1. Advertising

  3. "Mark Healey" wrote

    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
    >
    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.
    >
    > Is there something?
    >
    > I'll go blind following traces.

    Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
    http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1/keyboard-matrix.txt

  4. Cl.Massé

    Cl.Massé Guest

    "Mark Healey" <> a écrit dans le message de news:

    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
    >
    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.

    The keyboard doesn't send the key number, but scan codes like: key #x is
    pressed (make code), key #y is released (break code). And that is true for
    every physical key.

    The scan code is returned along with the ascii code by the function 0 of the
    interrupt 0x16:
    On entry:
    ah = 0
    On exit:
    al = 0 & ah = scan code extended keyboard
    or
    al = ascii code & ah = scan code
    cx, dx, si, di, & bp unchanged.

    --
    ~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
    Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/

  5. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    >> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    >> pressed.

    >> Is there something?

    > Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
    > square and it will report each input event in full detail.

    Just what I thought I needed. It turns out I found an easier way.

  6. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    >> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    >> pressed.
    >>
    >> Is there something?
    >>
    >> I'll go blind following traces.

    > Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
    > http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1/keyboard-matrix.txt

    No, that only applies to one model of keyboard.