    pressed.

    Is there something?

    I'll go blind following traces.
    Mark Healey, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Mark Healey

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Mark Healey <> wrote:
    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.

    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.

    > Is there something?

    Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
    square and it will report each input event in full detail.

    > I'll go blind following traces.

    Hehe.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Apr 11, 2007

  3. "Mark Healey" wrote

    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
    >
    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.
    >
    > Is there something?
    >
    > I'll go blind following traces.

    Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
    http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1/keyboard-matrix.txt
    MasterBlaster, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Mark Healey

    Cl.Massé Guest

    "Mark Healey" <> a écrit dans le message de news:

    > I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
    > the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
    > the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
    > each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
    > can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
    > the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
    >
    > I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    > pressed.

    The keyboard doesn't send the key number, but scan codes like: key #x is
    pressed (make code), key #y is released (break code). And that is true for
    every physical key.

    The scan code is returned along with the ascii code by the function 0 of the
    interrupt 0x16:
    On entry:
    ah = 0
    On exit:
    al = 0 & ah = scan code extended keyboard
    or
    al = ascii code & ah = scan code
    cx, dx, si, di, & bp unchanged.

    --
    ~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
    Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/
    Cl.Massé, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    >> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    >> pressed.

    >> Is there something?

    > Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
    > square and it will report each input event in full detail.

    Just what I thought I needed. It turns out I found an easier way.
    Mark Healey, Apr 15, 2007
  6. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    >> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
    >> pressed.
    >>
    >> Is there something?
    >>
    >> I'll go blind following traces.

    > Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
    > http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1/keyboard-matrix.txt

    No, that only applies to one model of keyboard.
    Mark Healey, Apr 15, 2007