Software Update ML Surprise

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MC, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
    didn't.

    I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    software updates.

    Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    Store...

    Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

    --

    "If you can, tell me something happy."
    - Marybones

    1. Advertising

  2. John Albert

    John Albert Guest

    On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
    > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    > software updates.
    >
    > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    > Store...

    You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
    Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
    double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

    1. Advertising

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    In article <501bfb67$0$14582$>,
    John Albert <> wrote:

    > On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
    > > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    > > software updates.
    > >
    > > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    > > Store...

    > You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
    > Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
    > double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

    I don't mind the new way so long as it works... and I assume it does.

    --

    "If you can, tell me something happy."
    - Marybones

  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    any updates yet though?

    On 8/1/2012 10:50 AM PT, MC typed:

    > Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
    > didn't.
    >
    > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    > software updates.
    >
    > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    > Store...
    >
    > Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
    Circus

  5. MC

    MC Guest

    In article <>,
    Ant <> wrote:

    > On 8/1/2012 10:50 AM PT, MC typed:
    >
    > > Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
    > > didn't.
    > >
    > > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    > > software updates.
    > >
    > > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    > > Store...
    > >
    > > Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

    > Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    > any updates yet though?

    I haven't seen any.

    --

    "If you can, tell me something happy."
    - Marybones

  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

    >>> Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
    >>> didn't.
    >>>
    >>> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    >>> software updates.
    >>>
    >>> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    >>> Store...
    >>>
    >>> Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

    >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    >> any updates yet though?

    > I haven't seen any.

    Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates. :)
    --
    "I love ants. Do they have uncles? Ha Ha!" --Elmo from Sesame Street
    (unknown episode)

  7. Tom Stiller

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    Ant <> wrote:

    > On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

    > >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    > >> any updates yet though?

    > > I haven't seen any.

    > Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates. :)

    The App Store icon gets a number [of updates pending] badge.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

  8. On 08/03/2012 03:10 PM, Tom Stiller wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ant <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

    >>> I haven't seen any.

    >> Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates. :)

    > The App Store icon gets a number [of updates pending] badge.

    I think there's usually a number in a tiny red circle or something like
    that.

    When I clicked Software Update it takes me to the App Store where it
    will say Checking for Updates then that none are available.

    I went ahead and shelled out 20 bucks for the upgrade to Mountain Lion
    last night. The only real complaint I have it it changed my resolution
    from 720 ro 1080 and all the icons and text were tiny. I set it back to 720.

    Camino wasn't launching, so I kicked it to the curb, which I was
    thinking of doing anyway.

  9. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Ant <> wrote:

    > Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    > any updates yet though?

    Yes, I got updates to iPhoto and some other applications which I had
    originally installed from DVD.

    Things previously delivered via Software Update appear in a list at the
    top of the "Updates" page in App Store, with a dividing line separating
    them from App Store updates. The general appearance of each item is
    similar to updates for App Store purchases, with the description and an
    indication of whether a restart is required, but it doesn't have the
    ability to go to a full window detail page like you can with an App
    update.

    The underlying mechanism for handling OS-level software updates is the
    same as for Lion and earlier (e.g. the command line tools are the same,
    and the online update checks and downloads come from the same servers).
    It is just the user interface which shifted into App Store.

    My only complaint about the new user interface: App Store does not show
    the size of the downloads before you click on the button to download the
    update. If I'm on a slow or expensive broadband connection, I want to
    know whether I can justify downloading an update now, or should wait
    until I'm at home.

    The size is displayed after it starts downloading, and it can be paused,
    so it is manageable, just a minor irritation.

    --
    David Empson

  10. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <501bfb67$0$14582$>
    John Albert <> wrote:
    > On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
    >> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    >> software updates.
    >>
    >> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    >> Store...

    > You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
    > Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
    > double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

    Why?

    --
    WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN --Feet of Clay

  11. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    MC <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ant <> wrote:

    >> On 8/1/2012 10:50 AM PT, MC typed:
    >>
    >> > Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
    >> > didn't.
    >> >
    >> > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
    >> > software updates.
    >> >
    >> > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
    >> > Store...
    >> >
    >> > Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

    >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    >> any updates yet though?

    > I haven't seen any.

    I got updates for iWork and iPhoto.

    --
    Up the airy mountains, down the rushy glen... From ghosties and bogles
    and long-leggity beasties... My mother said I never should... We dare

  12. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 8/3/2012 10:58 PM PT, Lewis typed:

    > I got updates for iWork and iPhoto.

    Did they just come out today? I am not on my work's Mac machines to
    check. I didn't see them yesterday. ;)
    --
    "I made my list for my birthday." --Christopher. "Yeah, what'd you put
    on there? - A basketball or an ant farm." and "This could be an ant

  13. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 8/3/2012 10:03 PM PT, David Empson typed:

    >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    >> any updates yet though?

    > Yes, I got updates to iPhoto and some other applications which I had
    > originally installed from DVD.

    Wait, Recent Mac OS X versions doesn't come with iPhoto and others
    anymore? I know 10.5.x came with iPhoto preinstalled. Hmm, I think I
    remember not seeing them in Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8. :(

    > Things previously delivered via Software Update appear in a list at the
    > top of the "Updates" page in App Store, with a dividing line separating
    > them from App Store updates. The general appearance of each item is
    > similar to updates for App Store purchases, with the description and an
    > indication of whether a restart is required, but it doesn't have the
    > ability to go to a full window detail page like you can with an App
    > update.
    >
    > The underlying mechanism for handling OS-level software updates is the
    > same as for Lion and earlier (e.g. the command line tools are the same,
    > and the online update checks and downloads come from the same servers).
    > It is just the user interface which shifted into App Store.
    >
    > My only complaint about the new user interface: App Store does not show
    > the size of the downloads before you click on the button to download the
    > update. If I'm on a slow or expensive broadband connection, I want to
    > know whether I can justify downloading an update now, or should wait
    > until I'm at home.
    >
    > The size is displayed after it starts downloading, and it can be paused,
    > so it is manageable, just a minor irritation.

    Yeah, that sucks. I hope someone will find a way to show them with a
    tool, hack, etc. soon.
    --
    "This isn't a war. It never was a war, any more than there's war between
    man and ants." --artilleryman from H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

  14. Larry Gusaas

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    On 2012-08-04 12:26 AM Ant wrote:
    > On 8/3/2012 10:03 PM PT, David Empson typed:
    >
    >>> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    >>> any updates yet though?

    >> Yes, I got updates to iPhoto and some other applications which I had
    >> originally installed from DVD.

    > Wait, Recent Mac OS X versions doesn't come with iPhoto and others anymore? I know 10.5.x
    > came with iPhoto preinstalled. Hmm, I think I remember not seeing them in Mac OS X 10.7.x and
    > 10.8. :(

    All new Macs come with iLife. It is not and never has been a part of OS X.

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

  15. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Ant <> wrote:

    > On 8/3/2012 10:03 PM PT, David Empson typed:
    >
    > >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
    > >> any updates yet though?

    > > Yes, I got updates to iPhoto and some other applications which I had
    > > originally installed from DVD.

    > Wait, Recent Mac OS X versions doesn't come with iPhoto and others
    > anymore?

    You are mixing up two concepts.

    New Macs come with a preinstalled copy of iLife. That doesn't make iLife
    part of Mac OS X. Since 2004, Mac OS X and iLife have been separate
    retail products.

    If you erase the hard drive and install Mac OS X from a retail install
    DVD (or an App Store download of Lion or later), there will not be any
    iLife applications on the hard drive. For Macs which came with a DVD to
    reinstall the bundled software (Snow Leopard or earlier), the iLife
    applications can be reinstalled from that DVD.

    Up until the introduction of Lion, if you wanted a newer version of
    iLife than the one which came preinstalled with your computer, you
    needed to buy it on retail DVD. Apple no longer sells iLife on DVD, but
    you can probably find one via resellers or from second hand sources.

    The iLife '11 versions of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband can also be
    purchased individually from the App Store to upgrade older versions
    which came with earlier Macs. Until recently, all three were available
    via App Store on Snow Leopard, but recent updates to iPhoto and iMovie
    require Lion or later, so Snow Leopard users cannot purchase or download
    them any more.

    If your Mac came with Lion or later preinstalled, then the iLife
    applications can be reinstalled by getting them from App Store, which
    may require redeeming them first: App Store needs to identify that you
    have a Mac which was new enough to come with Lion or later preinstalled.
    I haven't done this myself yet so I don't know the precise details.

    iLife '09 or earlier are always updated via Software Update.

    iLife '11 is updated via Software Update if it came preinstalled on a
    Mac which came with Snow Leopard or earlier, or if it was installed from
    the iLife retail DVD.

    iLife '11 is updated via App Store if it came preinstalled on a Mac
    which came with Lion or later, or if the specific iLife '11 apps were
    purchased from App Store.

    The update user interface for both variants appears in App Store for
    Mountain Lion, but they are handled in the same way as earlier systems
    under the hood.

    > I know 10.5.x came with iPhoto preinstalled.

    It didn't, but a new Mac you bought which came with 10.5 (non-server)
    preinstalled would have also had iLife (including iPhoto) preinstalled:
    either iLife '08 or iLife '09, depending on whether the computer was
    manufactured in 2007-2008 or early 2009.

    --
    David Empson

  16. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Ant <> wrote:

    > On 8/3/2012 10:58 PM PT, Lewis typed:
    >
    > > I got updates for iWork and iPhoto.

    > Did they just come out today? I am not on my work's Mac machines to
    > check. I didn't see them yesterday. ;)

    They were released the same day as Mountain Lion, to add support for new
    features in Mountain Lion.

    If you didn't have iWork '09 installed from a retail DVD, or iLife '11
    installed from a retail DVD or preinstalled with Snow Leopard or
    earlier, then you wouldn't have been notified of either of these
    software updates.

    There were also App Store updates of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto and
    iMovie for those who had bought these apps from the App Store or had
    them preinstalled with Lion.

    All these updates require Lion or later, so if you are still running
    Snow Leopard or earlier, then Software Update or App Store would not
    have offered them, and you cannot install them.

    --
    David Empson

  17. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Ant <> wrote:
    > On 8/3/2012 10:58 PM PT, Lewis typed:

    >> I got updates for iWork and iPhoto.

    > Did they just come out today? I am not on my work's Mac machines to
    > check. I didn't see them yesterday. ;)

    No, a week or so ago. iWork specifically had an update to integrate with
    iCloud; not sure what the iPhoto updated did, but it removed MobileMe