Solution: Toshiba owners if you get "Resume Failed" or "Resume Failure" alert on putting your system

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Kamal, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Kamal

    Kamal Guest

    I have changed the settings of my Toshiba laptop such that if I close
    the lid, i goes to "standby" mode. Unfortunately, whenever I closed
    the lid and opened it again, I would get an alert box "Resume Failed:
    Press any key to continue". Once I pressed the key, the system would
    reboot and all webpages/documents that were open when I closed the lid
    were lost.

    Common reasons that can cause this but which didn't help me at all
    (eg. backup battery may not be charged or backup battery may be dead
    etc). Finally I found a weird entry in the event log- "The mrtRate
    service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot
    find the file specified."

    To cut the story short, here is what I did. It seems to have solved
    the problem-
    (a) Open Quicken. Go to Edit --> Preferences --> Customize Online
    Updates. Now press SHIFT-ALT-4. It will pop up a box which asks you
    for permission to disallow background updates. Click "Yes"

    (b) Go to "My Computer". Right click and choose properties. Go to
    HARDWARE tab and click on "Device Manager" button. Now choose "Show
    hidden devices" under "View" menu. Under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers",
    look for "mrtRate". Right click and click on "properties". Go to
    "Driver" tab. Under Current status, click "Stop" button if the button
    is not greyed out. Under "Startup", choose disabled. Click Ok. Close
    all windows and restart the machine

    This seems to be working for me, at least based on little bit of
    testing I have done.

    Kamal, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Kamal

    Kamal Guest

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but seems like I was excited for
    nothing. The "Resume Failed" error reared its ugly head again. Oh
    well, the search for the solution goes on...

    Kamal, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Kamal

    AndrewJ Guest

    >Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but seems like I was excited for
    >nothing. The "Resume Failed" error reared its ugly head again. Oh
    >well, the search for the solution goes on...

    I see Quicken causes other trouble codes like that so you are most
    likely on to something. You could try turning off the WiFi card's
    switch(before closing the lid) if you're using one and/or it's on.
    These cards are famous for not wanting to go in or out of sleep mode.

    AndrewJ, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Kamal

    Kamal Guest

    Unfortunately that didn't seem to help. Any other ideas ?

    Kamal, Jun 13, 2004