Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Don McKenzie, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Apple 1 original $75K

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

    C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-IN...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

    The World's Cheapest Computer:
    DuinoMite the PIC32 $23 Basic Computer-MicroController
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
    Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
    Don McKenzie, Aug 9, 2012

  2. Don McKenzie

    spamtrap1888 Guest

    spamtrap1888, Aug 9, 2012

  3. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 10-Aug-12 6:24 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 12:51 pm, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    >> Apple 1 original $75K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557...
    >>
    >> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_V...
    >>

    > Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
    > packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
    > Intel sample get to China to begin with?

    doesn't look much like this one does it?
    http://www.rarecpus.com/images/intelC4040.jpg

    here is another nice little collection of pictures:
    http://www.willsmith.org/collectible_chips/

    Don McKenzie, Aug 9, 2012
  4. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 10-Aug-12 7:09 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    > On 10-Aug-12 6:24 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
    >> On Aug 9, 12:51 pm, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    >>> Apple 1 original $75K
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557...
    >>>
    >>> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_V...
    >>>

    >> Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
    >> packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
    >> Intel sample get to China to begin with?

    > doesn't look much like this one does it?
    > http://www.rarecpus.com/images/intelC4040.jpg
    >
    > here is another nice little collection of pictures:
    > http://www.willsmith.org/collectible_chips/

    just found a whole bunch of them which may throw a different light on the subject.
    http://www.chipdb.org/cat-4040-350.htm

    Don McKenzie, Aug 9, 2012
  5. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 10-Aug-12 7:42 AM, Greegor wrote:
    >> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE

    > Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

    I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K over priced.

    Don McKenzie, Aug 9, 2012
  6. Don McKenzie

    hamilton Guest

    On 8/9/2012 3:54 PM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    > On 10-Aug-12 7:42 AM, Greegor wrote:
    >>> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE

    >> Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

    > I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K
    > over priced.

    So, you'd pay $100 to get one ??
    hamilton, Aug 10, 2012
  7. Trevor Wilson, Aug 10, 2012
  8. Trevor Wilson wrote:
    >**This is very interesting. I have a 256k printer buffer I purchased
    >from you a few years back, that may be worth a fortune one day.

    I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
    and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
    cave.
    --
    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]
    Roberto Waltman, Aug 10, 2012
  9. Don McKenzie

    Yaputya Guest

    "hamilton" <> wrote in message news:k01gf8$c89$...

    >>> Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

    >> I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K
    >> over priced.
    >>

    > So, you'd pay $100 to get one ??

    If it came with a certificate of authenticity.......how easy would it be to clone
    a 4040 these days?
    Yaputya, Aug 10, 2012
  10. On 8/10/2012 9:35 AM, Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > Trevor Wilson wrote:
    >> **This is very interesting. I have a 256k printer buffer I purchased
    >>from you a few years back, that may be worth a fortune one day.

    > I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
    > and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
    > cave.
    > --
    > Roberto Waltman

    **Those words probably apply to 90% of the people who read these groups.
    My collection of 1,200 baud modems, 386 laptops, 256k RAm chips, 28 year
    old CD players, Sony Beta machines, 20MB hard drives and valves are
    surely going to be worth something. Actually, some of my crap is
    (finally) starting to become valuable (I have a nice assortment of quite
    valuable vaccuum tubes). SWMBO calls it "junk". She knows nothing.

    --
    Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
    Trevor Wilson, Aug 10, 2012
  11. Don McKenzie

    Phil Hobbs Guest

    Trevor Wilson wrote:

    > On 8/10/2012 9:35 AM, Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > > Trevor Wilson wrote:
    > >> **This is very interesting. I have a 256k printer buffer I purchased
    > >>from you a few years back, that may be worth a fortune one day.

    > > I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
    > > and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
    > > cave.
    > > --
    > > Roberto Waltman
    > >

    > **Those words probably apply to 90% of the people who read these groups.
    > My collection of 1,200 baud modems, 386 laptops, 256k RAm chips, 28 year
    > old CD players, Sony Beta machines, 20MB hard drives and valves are
    > surely going to be worth something. Actually, some of my crap is
    > (finally) starting to become valuable (I have a nice assortment of quite
    > valuable vaccuum tubes). SWMBO calls it "junk". She knows nothing.

    That's all part of the balance of nature. In order for my baseball card
    collection to become valuable, everybody else's mom had to throw theirs
    away while they were at summer camp.

    (Do they have cricket cards in OZ?)

    Cheers

    Phil Hobbs

    --
    Dr Philip C D Hobbs
    Principal Consultant

    160 North State Road #203
    Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
    845-480-2058

    hobbs at electrooptical dot net
    http://electrooptical.net
    Phil Hobbs, Aug 10, 2012
  12. On 8/10/2012 10:55 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
    > Trevor Wilson wrote:

    >>> I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
    >>> and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
    >>> cave.
    >>> --
    >>> Roberto Waltman
    >>>

    >> **Those words probably apply to 90% of the people who read these groups.
    >> My collection of 1,200 baud modems, 386 laptops, 256k RAm chips, 28 year
    >> old CD players, Sony Beta machines, 20MB hard drives and valves are
    >> surely going to be worth something. Actually, some of my crap is
    >> (finally) starting to become valuable (I have a nice assortment of quite
    >> valuable vaccuum tubes). SWMBO calls it "junk". She knows nothing.
    >>

    > That's all part of the balance of nature. In order for my baseball card
    > collection to become valuable, everybody else's mom had to throw theirs
    > away while they were at summer camp.
    >
    > (Do they have cricket cards in OZ?)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Phil Hobbs

    **Probably. Never been a follower of sports. Played some, but never
    watched any. I do recall collecting cards from the local gas station,
    when I was a kid. Atlantic Petrol. As always, there was one, quite rare
    card. My mum probably chucked them out, along with my Superman and
    Batman comics. Arrggghhh!

    Lucky I've still got my Beta machines.

    --
    Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
    Trevor Wilson, Aug 10, 2012
  13. Don McKenzie

    miso Guest

    On 8/9/2012 1:24 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 12:51 pm, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    >> Apple 1 original $75K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557...
    >>
    >> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_V...
    >>

    > Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
    > packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
    > Intel sample get to China to begin with?

    Your "Chinese" is a common sidebraze used "in-house." Maybe the other
    packages were for engineering samples that went to outside vendors.

    The free shipping makes this deal so tempting. Wait, that price isn't in
    rupees?
    miso, Aug 10, 2012
  14. Don McKenzie

    Walter Banks Guest

    Don McKenzie wrote:

    > On 10-Aug-12 7:42 AM, Greegor wrote:
    > >> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE

    > > Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

    > I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K over priced.

    I agree. Does make me wonder what the two 4004's
    I gave away a couple years ago are worth

    w..
    Walter Banks, Aug 10, 2012
  15. On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:35:08 -0400, Walter Banks
    <> wrote:

    >Don McKenzie wrote:

    >> > Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

    >> I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K over priced.

    >I agree. Does make me wonder what the two 4004's
    >I gave away a couple years ago are worth
    >
    >w..

    According to this article, they were worth $212-$550 each in 2005, on
    eBay.

    http://www.chipsetc.com/computer-memorabilia-collectors.html

    Less than 25 cents/transistor, vs less than 1.5E-5 cents/transistor on
    a Gulftown i7 (about 2 million times more expensive).
    Spehro Pefhany, Aug 10, 2012
  16. Don McKenzie

    Jon Elson Guest

    Jon Elson, Aug 10, 2012
  17. Don McKenzie

    David Eather Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:12:42 +1000, miso <> wrote:

    > On 8/9/2012 1:24 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
    >> On Aug 9, 12:51 pm, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    >>> Apple 1 original $75K
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557...
    >>>
    >>> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_V...
    >>>

    >> Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
    >> packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
    >> Intel sample get to China to begin with?
    >>

    > Your "Chinese" is a common sidebraze used "in-house." Maybe the other
    > packages were for engineering samples that went to outside vendors.
    >
    > The free shipping makes this deal so tempting. Wait, that price isn't in
    > rupees?

    I have 100 TRILLION Dollars so it's no problem for me - they want Zimbabwe
    dollars right?

    David Eather, Aug 11, 2012
  18. Don McKenzie

    David Eather Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:29:26 +1000, Trevor Wilson
    <> wrote:

    > On 8/10/2012 5:51 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    >>
    >> Apple 1 original $75K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    >>

    >> C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-IN...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df
    >>

    > **This is very interesting. I have a 256k printer buffer I purchased
    > from you a few years back, that may be worth a fortune one day.
    >
    > Yay!

    A working Atari 2600 sold to the Smithsonian for 10K - not a fortune but...
    David Eather, Aug 11, 2012
  19. On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:33:01 +1000, "David Eather" <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:12:42 +1000, miso <> wrote:

    >>> Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
    >>> packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
    >>> Intel sample get to China to begin with?
    >>>

    >> Your "Chinese" is a common sidebraze used "in-house." Maybe the other
    >> packages were for engineering samples that went to outside vendors.
    >>
    >> The free shipping makes this deal so tempting. Wait, that price isn't in
    >> rupees?
    >>

    >I have 100 TRILLION Dollars so it's no problem for me - they want Zimbabwe
    >dollars right?

    I have two Alpha SBCs, but US dollars are required.
    UltimatePatriot, Aug 11, 2012
  20. Don McKenzie

    David Eather Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:55:15 +1000, Phil Hobbs
    <> wrote:

    > Trevor Wilson wrote:

    >> > I am having a hard time convincing my wife that we need to be patient
    >> > and wait, until my garage-full-of-junk becomes Alibaba's treasure
    >> > cave.
    >> > --
    >> > Roberto Waltman
    >> >

    >> **Those words probably apply to 90% of the people who read these groups.
    >> My collection of 1,200 baud modems, 386 laptops, 256k RAm chips, 28 year
    >> old CD players, Sony Beta machines, 20MB hard drives and valves are
    >> surely going to be worth something. Actually, some of my crap is
    >> (finally) starting to become valuable (I have a nice assortment of quite
    >> valuable vaccuum tubes). SWMBO calls it "junk". She knows nothing.
    >>

    > That's all part of the balance of nature. In order for my baseball card
    > collection to become valuable, everybody else's mom had to throw theirs
    > away while they were at summer camp.
    >
    > (Do they have cricket cards in OZ?)

    Until very recently (only the last 10 years or so) it wasn't done. Some
    people had signature books, the occasional signed bat or actual signed
    photos but that was all. Now it is being marketed as a big thing - like
    POKEMON (i.e. mostly worthless).

    BTW, somewhat recently a bat signed by Don Bradman and the entire 1948
    "Invincibles" (Australia's greatest and most famous player and team) went
    up for auction - until then it was held in such high regard that it laid
    forgotten in a shed and the owner's kids used it for backyard cricket!

    David Eather, Aug 11, 2012